Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pat was asking about QVC selling Candy Canes? She loves them.

Also noticed the new gardening guy is coming on and answering people's queries etc. Someone was giving off about his telling people to cut back hedges etc in 6 weeks, but the birds are nesting then with their young and it is not allowed. He came on and answered saying sorry.

Also noticed the new gardening guy is coming on and answering people's queries etc. Someone was giving off about his telling people to cut back hedges etc in 6 weeks, but the birds are nesting then with their young and it is not allowed. He came on and answered saying sorry.

'Not allowed' ? Preservation order on a hedge?

He actually mentioned on a show yesterday that people should check for nesting birds before trimming their hedges.

He mentioned it after seeing that FB post, I think. It's like lily pollen being poisonous to cats. They never used to mention that, but they do now after posts were made about it.

The one who posted on FB about nesting birds is correct, although I don't think it's illegal if you do cut your hedges, but the tree surgeon who prunes my leylandai hedge every year will only come after the nesting season is over.

I think most of what they say is to purely to get sales and often bears no consideration to nature and animals etc., but they should get their facts straight before spouting on about a product.

He mentioned it after seeing that FB post, I think. It's like lily pollen being poisonous to cats. They never used to mention that, but they do now after posts were made about it.

The one who posted on FB about nesting birds is correct, although I don't think it's illegal if you do cut your hedges, but the tree surgeon who prunes my leylandai hedge every year will only come after the nesting season is over.

I think most of what they say is to purely to get sales and often bears no consideration to nature and animals etc., but they should get their facts straight before spouting on about a product.

It would be rather hard to 'police' hedge trimming laws if it actually were illegal.

FR9M 2015 UK

This year saw the introduction of new rules for hedge-cutting under cross compliance.

It means that you are not allowed to cut or trim your hedgerow between 1 March and 31 August unless you have applied for a derogation from the RPA and received written permission or any of the following apply:

The hedgerow overhangs a highway, road or footpath over which there is a public or private right of way and the overhanging hedgerow obstructs the passage of, or is a danger to, vehicles, pedestrians or horse riders
The hedgerow is dead, diseased, damaged or insecurely rooted and because of its condition, it or part of it, is likely to cause danger by falling on to a highway, road or footpath; or obstructs the view of drivers or the light from a public lamp
It is to carry out hedge-laying or coppicing during the period 1 March to 30 April (inclusive)
It is to trim a newly laid hedgerow by hand, within six months of it being laid

And in R of Ireland it is actually illegal.

FR9M 2015 UK

This year saw the introduction of new rules for hedge-cutting under cross compliance.

It means that you are not allowed to cut or trim your hedgerow between 1 March and 31 August unless you have applied for a derogation from the RPA and received written permission or any of the following apply:

The hedgerow overhangs a highway, road or footpath over which there is a public or private right of way and the overhanging hedgerow obstructs the passage of, or is a danger to, vehicles, pedestrians or horse riders
The hedgerow is dead, diseased, damaged or insecurely rooted and because of its condition, it or part of it, is likely to cause danger by falling on to a highway, road or footpath; or obstructs the view of drivers or the light from a public lamp
It is to carry out hedge-laying or coppicing during the period 1 March to 30 April (inclusive)
It is to trim a newly laid hedgerow by hand, within six months of it being laid

And in R of Ireland it is actually illegal.

I think the clue is in the cross compliance part at the top. Useful info though.

A woman is having a major rant, in fact, she posted it twice.

She uses an American Express card and had her card hacked recently. So phoned up QVC to change the card they had on file as she has easy payments coming out(Dyson was mentioned), seems QVC no longer accept AMC cards. But if you have one registered with them and the account number does not change they will still let you use it. But since the woman now has a new card with new account number they are saying no. She goes nuts over it and refuses to register her debit card with QVC, not sure why if she had her AMC registered with them? She did mention something about not knowing where her card was hacked from, perhaps she thinks it is QVC? Anyway, she had people suggest just paying off all the easy pays didn't like that. Someone said QVC might past her to debt collections if she defaults on her payments.

She won’t have her debit card linked top her account which she is perfectly entitled to do but if you can’t use the card you specifically want there is no option but to say thanks but no thanks. No company is going to make exceptions just for you.

If it was me and I was so determined I would just get a bank cheque (not a personal one) and post it to them and close my account. What card does she think the debt collection people will want her to use?

I don't know if other businesses have cleverer systems than QVC which allow them to change the card on which they purchase goods or not. I seem to recall if I had ordered an item on easy pay I couldn't use it if the card was due to expire before all payments had been made - this was the case at the point of placing the order. However, if I was ordering on auto-delivery I could, as you can change the card used. I think this is because with AD you make a full purchase for each separate delivery. Possibly it's a limitation of QVC's systems, or it could be regulatory compliance.
Legally, having received the goods, a customer is under an obligation to pay the price agreed for the goods. QVC are entitled to ensure they receive that payment. She could ring up CS, pay off the easy pays, then delete the card from her account - or ask for them to take payment on a one-off basis and not add it to her account. That's probably what I would try and do in that situation. I cannot see the point in huffing and puffing over it on social media... particularly as it is all in a public domain for anyone to see and take note of...

I ditched my Amex card because so few places accept it; no one ever said to me,

"That'll do nicely!"

I ditched my Amex card because so few places accept it; no one ever said to me,

"That'll do nicely!"

Was that a while ago? I find nearly all do now, including Aldi who started accepting it last year (Lidl still don't but I rarely spend more than £5 in there), and a lot of the smaller businesses near me. In December they had Small Business week where if you spent £10 in any of a number of local shops, salons, etc, you got a £5 statement credit. I did quite well out of that. I do have other cards just in case but I use my Amex more than anything.

Was that a while ago? I find nearly all do now, including Aldi who started accepting it last year (Lidl still don't but I rarely spend more than £5 in there), and a lot of the smaller businesses near me. In December they had Small Business week where if you spent £10 in any of a number of local shops, salons, etc, you got a £5 statement credit. I did quite well out of that. I do have other cards just in case but I use my Amex more than anything.

We didn't accept were I worked as the charges from the bank were so high. Still see signs in shops stating American Express not accepted.

There has been an increase again in places not taking Amex

There has been an increase again in places not taking Amex

I’m not surprised as I know their fees are higher but I must just be lucky. All the places I shop locally and nearly all I shop with online accept Amex, plus my car service/repair and insurance company. Maybe they will stop accepting it? I do carry other cards just in case but my Amex gets used by far the most at the moment and the cashback is great.

Latest posts

Back