Meat hamper alert!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Not buying this year as we're going away for Christmas to visit family so no cooking dinner required :mysmilie_59:

Don't know Althams however QVC don't have a good track record on meat / pies. I'm sure QVC will extol the virtues of the company, they will rave on about the care and attention to detail, the provenance, the rearing, the husbandry. But do you trust them?

Don't know Althams however QVC don't have a good track record on meat / pies. I'm sure QVC will extol the virtues of the company, they will rave on about the care and attention to detail, the provenance, the rearing, the husbandry. But do you trust them?

Not on your Nelly!

Let's face it. Anyone's local butcher would do you a meat parcel for Christmas if you went in, chatted, told him what you want, size of joints etc and it's bound to be cheaper than ordering from QVC. I have in the past bought many Christmas hampers from Q and found them OK and dinner has never been disappointing. However, there's only 2 of us so there was plenty and Mr CC was never that keen on the gammon so most of it ended up in the bin or the dog. Probably not great value when you cost it out. Where we live now in a rural area, even if you can't get out, you could phone the butcher and he would deliver it fresh when you want it.

CC

Your local butcher relies on customers returning time after time. You are his bread and butter and you are not faceless to him so he wants to please you.
These large wholesale type places employ a number of people and I daresay some of them won`t give a toss whether they do a good or a bad job when cutting or packing your meat. Plus I should imagine some of them will be Seasonal workers there for a few weeks at the busiest time of year. It will probably be a large warehouse or factory kind of building using a conveyor belt system, part of it automated and totally impersonal.
There was an article in the paper this week about yet another meat supplier, a millionaire by all accounts who`se company was selling frozen chicken as fresh and advertising that their beef and lamb was British when in fact in originated from abroad and wasn`t fully traceable and was mis labelled. He and his wife have been found guilty of fraud and are due to be sentenced in November in Warwickshire.
No matter how QVC put a spin on their new supplier and how they`ll trot out how this will be yet another family firm with strong local links and pride in their history blah blah blah, the truth of the matter is it will be a large company out to make as much profit as possible and running on an industrial estate with many could care less employees. The image Q will portray of a big friendly butcher in his stripey apron overseeing how his beef and lamb carcasses are treated with care as only the best will do for their customers etc is nothing but a big fat lie. These types of businesses only care about the number of zeros in their bank accounts and how quickly and cheaply they can churn out what is essentially mass produced food.

I laugh when I see the current Tesco advert about their pasta being made by family companies. I imagine Napolli, Bartolli etc once upon a time was just Papa, Mama and Nonna producing home made products but now would be mega companies owned by the Italian equivalent of United Foods, Kraft etc so a long long time since it was truly family but probably someone on the board who is distantly related to the family so a real stretching of the truth.

Like the old adverts for Scandinavian beers/lagers - which said in small writing ......brewed in the UK.

For Christmas I will be doing a meal in my slow cooker - the usual organic beef, leeks, carrots, onions, parsnips, mushrooms, broccoli, baby sweetcorn, green beans. I will serve it with a mountain of mash with a well of Lurpak butter and a grind of black pepper. Costs about £8 and it sorts out my meal for Boxing Day too. Been doing it for years and it works well so I'm not changing it. I don't eat pork, chicken or sausages of any description so a meat hamper would not be something for me.

Your local butcher relies on customers returning time after time. You are his bread and butter and you are not faceless to him so he wants to please you.
These large wholesale type places employ a number of people and I daresay some of them won`t give a toss whether they do a good or a bad job when cutting or packing your meat. Plus I should imagine some of them will be Seasonal workers there for a few weeks at the busiest time of year. It will probably be a large warehouse or factory kind of building using a conveyor belt system, part of it automated and totally impersonal.
There was an article in the paper this week about yet another meat supplier, a millionaire by all accounts who`se company was selling frozen chicken as fresh and advertising that their beef and lamb was British when in fact in originated from abroad and wasn`t fully traceable and was mis labelled. He and his wife have been found guilty of fraud and are due to be sentenced in November in Warwickshire.
No matter how QVC put a spin on their new supplier and how they`ll trot out how this will be yet another family firm with strong local links and pride in their history blah blah blah, the truth of the matter is it will be a large company out to make as much profit as possible and running on an industrial estate with many could care less employees. The image Q will portray of a big friendly butcher in his stripey apron overseeing how his beef and lamb carcasses are treated with care as only the best will do for their customers etc is nothing but a big fat lie. These types of businesses only care about the number of zeros in their bank accounts and how quickly and cheaply they can churn out what is essentially mass produced food.

Tell it like it is, love....:clapping:

I hope those two people get in to a lot of trouble.....

Althams Butchers 5.3kg Festive British Meat Hamper £79.92 + post
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.808270

1 x Beef Topside Joint (1000g)
1 x Turkey Breast Roll (2000g)
1 x Gammon Joint (1000 g)
1 x 16 pc Pork Cranberry Chipolata (454g)
1 x Pork Cranberry Chestnut stuffing (454g)
1 x Unsmoked Streaky Bacon (454g)

I would say around £30-40 for all the contents from your local butcher for that price.
Beef topside £12 per kg
Turkey £7 per kg
Gammon £7 per kg
The rest about £7.50

I would say around £30-40 for all the contents from your local butcher for that price.
Beef topside £12 per kg
Turkey £7 per kg
Gammon £7 per kg
The rest about £7.50

Thanks, Pat!!! Send my love to Jess, btw. :blackcat:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back