Awful Jill Gauntlett!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Am I the only one who cannot stand Jill Gauntlett? Quite what skills / knowledge / experience she brings to the table I really do not know.

Either last night or the night before she came on at the midnight launch of a TSV which was some sort of pull-cord lightbulb type of thing (quite a useful item, I will grant you). There she stood like a pound shop Janet Street-Porter, her over-conditioned fringe covering her eyes as she screeched in the dark, touting the bulbs for all she was worth. She flung them on the floor, she poured water over them and even suggested that people tie the bulbs to their childrens' rucksacks so they can be illuminated on the way home!

She's a rather odd fish. With her horrid, common accent she certainly doesn't fit the stereotypical QVC guest of upper-middle-class woman. With her it's like the pendulum has swung too far.

Has anyone ever learnt anything from her presentations?

increasingly she has become one of the worse guest presenters in qvc history. i am not saying she is not supposed to be enthusiastic but she is imo prepared to say anything even if it means fibbing to get a sale. calm down ms gauntlet your ott

increasingly she has become one of the worse guest presenters in qvc history. i am not saying she is not supposed to be enthusiastic but she is imo prepared to say anything even if it means fibbing to get a sale. calm down ms gauntlet your ott

Yes, she is awful. She really gave QVC that "witching hour" feel. 'Twas rather odd.

By the way you can get those light bulbs in Asda for a lot less. I'm thinking of buying one for one of my cars that has no illumination inside the rear hatch. I could have the light bulb there for when I want to get the shopping out!

I'm certainly not buying any of Gauntlett's bulbs, though. She can go and shove off!

I am not a big fan of JG, but imo she is not as annoying as Abi Cleeve or Abby Horne...they are two that get turned off should they manage to appear on my tv.

I agree, she comes across as disingenuous to keep her guest presenting role, from the ever (un)popular Poo Pourri to fake trellis and anything else she can get her hands on, I can't stomach her but the rare times I've seen her I feel like running up with a tissue and shouting "blow!!"

'There she stood like a pound shop Janet Street-Porter, her over-conditioned fringe covering her eyes as she screeched in the dark, touting the bulbs for all she was worth.' Love it.

And her home must look like a Poundshop with the stuff she alleges to have in it. Its funny to imagine though, that her CV will include selling sh...t perfume !! I suppose she started her career as one of those exhibition sales people and then fell on her feet with a regular booking at QVC.

As for her accent, she joins the long queue of stoilists with equally rough accents - clearly there is a lack of articulate speakers on the books of Stoilist Agents !!!!

Am I the only one who cannot stand Jill Gauntlett? Quite what skills / knowledge / experience she brings to the table I really do not know.

Either last night or the night before she came on at the midnight launch of a TSV which was some sort of pull-cord lightbulb type of thing (quite a useful item, I will grant you). There she stood like a pound shop Janet Street-Porter, her over-conditioned fringe covering her eyes as she screeched in the dark, touting the bulbs for all she was worth. She flung them on the floor, she poured water over them and even suggested that people tie the bulbs to their childrens' rucksacks so they can be illuminated on the way home!

She's a rather odd fish. With her horrid, common accent she certainly doesn't fit the stereotypical QVC guest of upper-middle-class woman. With her it's like the pendulum has swung too far.

Has anyone ever learnt anything from her presentations?
I ditto all you have said, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who can't stand that woman LoL don't know what she earns - but she's overpaid, and brings nothing with her.

I don’t mind her ! But then, I don’t mind Jill Franks either. Think I’m rather on my own here !

I have nothing against regional accents and no one wants to hear 1950’s BBC plumb in the mouth either but what I do hate is slang and lack of grammar. I know in everyday speaking we are much more casual but not when we are doing our job or in public speaking.

One of my Pet hates - if you’re SAT there thinking...... it’s SITTING, SITTING,SITTING.

The Bibi jewellery woman has me switching off, her accent and appearance screams tacky to me, reminds me of the character in "only fools and horses", Marlene?

It's different strokes for different folks with accents. An accent may give one viewer the pip, but be a welcome accent to another. I don't hold an accent against anyone. I get far more annoyed by what the presenters and guests are saying than by how they are saying it.

That said, QVC are trying to have it both ways. They are clearly going after a more upmarket feel with the brands and price points they are selling, but then they are selecting presenters for the products who do not convey an upmarket image themselves. Does a more "posh" customer identify with Abby Horne selling a very expensive Dyson hairdryer? I suppose QVC believe that they will do, as she has successfully sold high-ticket tech items like Wiis in the past. The fact she is still selling the Dyson bears out QVC's faith in her.

A number of the regular guests are of a recognisable type for anyone who has ever visited an Ideal Home exhibition, or seen demonstrations in a department store. They have to be able to regurgitate the same spiel consistently day after day, and sell the product relentlessly. I've seen one or two product demonstrators from QVC gracing department stores around London, all miked up and on a little stand demonstrating irons, food choppers and the like.

With other guests who are not generic in-house guests, like Maxine, I like that there are still some people fronting up brands on QVC who actually have invested in the brand themselves. Over time we are seeing fewer and fewer brand owners from overseas on our screens and it's one of the ways the fun has leached out of watching QVC for me. I enjoyed watching Suharti, and also Mehmet from Ottoman Silver. I liked Carolyn from South Western Silver. Funny, I used to watch a lot of the jewellery shows, without buying anything. There were loads and loads of really entertaining guests from the US and a crackers guy from Canada (something Sigel) for jewellery.

You've hit the nail on the head MML ! The early years of QVC did have the actual product vendors in the studio to sell their wares - yes, the mad Suharti with her strangled English and outrageous headdresses, the Russian lady who created Indigo Moon, the American who brought us some of his wonderful gift bags (I bought a selection that lit up !),- it was a time when Q was worth watching. Now we get the awful Pie Company, Jill Gaunt, Pound shop stylists, and the dreadful Andi Peters !!

What happened to Dreamkeeper?The American woman who blew glitter sorry Fairydustall over the place!(bet everyone loved that when they couldn’t get rid of it for days)& her daughter with the clothes.

The Bibi jewellery woman has me switching off, her accent and appearance screams tacky to me, reminds me of the character in "only fools and horses", Marlene?

Maxine has ‘grown’ on me.She always seems to be grovelling inches from the table.I want to pull her up,sweep back the hair & peel off the eyelashes.Proper Essex girl—-sorry to those in the South East who are nothing like our Maxine!!

Maxine to me sounds like a North West London lass - I'm one myself :mysmilie_59:

I love a regional accent, received pronunciation doesn't half get boring

I simply cannot watch (or rather listen to) her. It's not her accent but her voice. All I hear is "Wa wa wa wa wa".

What happened to Dreamkeeper?The American woman who blew glitter sorry Fairydustall over the place!(bet everyone loved that when they couldn’t get rid of it for days)& her daughter with the clothes.

Jenifer Kirk (Kirks Folly) I think retired, and her daughter's Dreamkeeper collection became less jackets and kimonos, and more scarves and wraps.

I still own a lot of the brand jackets/ponchos/kimonos , particularly the early jackets with beading which have a 1920's vibe and they always attract compliments. Honestly ? I'd be hard pushed to buy anything similar now without paying a lot of money, so am glad I held on to them all. I don't keep them for 'cruises' either, but wear them with summer maxi's (old hippy that I am !)

Latest posts

Back