A little instruction pretty please...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am impressed with such skills! I liked word processing but was nowhere near these levels of competence just one finger and a lot of copy & pasting!

Two.

I did Brissles. My OH is always amazed at how I manage to type without looking at the keyboard, and talk to him at the same time. I think being able to type is marvellous.

I achieved RSA 3 in typing, and RSA 110 words a minute in shorthand. I was a shorthand typist, and then a personal assistant in a very large retail company. Had some great bosses, and some not so great, and still wish that one old boss in particular comes to a sticky painful end. Thankfully, I am now retired.

Impressed. Very impressed.

Why did I end up doing four lots of exams for typing? RSA, Pitmans and local education board. But I did the local one in both Welsh and English. And yes it is slightly different to type in different languages.

I think I learnt on Olympics. I know they were a dark grey bottom, with a white top and I think an orange spot as part of the name logo. Stretching/moving for the numbers was always a challenge. Skill now long gone - shoved in the bin by being a programmer where I used lots of numbers and symbols and little run of words.

I was taught two after a full stop (. ! ?) and one after a comma (, ;). Newspapers they only ever did one. Seen lots of threads about the two spaces over the years and think we are in a special club if we two space after a full stop. As if we had a special hug or handshake. We are the ones who know. I could never ever do one - so disrespectful to my wonderful teacher.

Right back to my original point - how to edit.

I'm off to test something. So sorry if you get notifications.

TEST

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
00:00

00:02 the little dots to the right of (Report)

00:09 can still edit

Last edited:
In the above post I could edit it at nine minutes but that was it. The little symbol just goes.

And some of you will laugh at me. But after this lovely 😘😘 bonding "two spaces" I went into a group and the first thing I saw was someone using a comma for an apostrophe. 🤬🤬🤬. (I'm vs I,m). Why?

Thank you all.

I taught myself to type aged 11 on a typewriter I bought for £10, a Remington Noiseless in 1970. Eventually took the RSA and Pitman exams and transcribed from Pitmanscript shorthand. I could do 130 words a minute top speed and had jobs using shorthand and eventually audio typing but my boss used to love dictating straight to me which held me up completing other duties as he would agonise over what he wanted to say. After all this, I hate text script and send full messages even with two spaces after a full stop. Old habits die hard.

I will continue as I am. I already detest Microsoft Word as it is. Why should a corporation decide?

I didn’t even know about this great debate, I’ve only ever used one space because for me two looked too big a gap after a full stop. I think it’s more now to do with tablets, computers and phones were the letters are all regimented, but you carry on doing what you’re doing, whatever you’re comfortable with 👍😃

I always thought two spaces looked too big a gap, I’m not a professional typist it was just what it looked like to me. Just Googled and this came up first. https://www.instructionalsolutions.com/blog/one-space-vs-two-after-period

I've read most of that article and I agree with some of it. But still going with two spaces as a salute to my teacher. Microsoft can go and..... When it conned a lot of people in 1995 about Excel it did not change the program code for years n years. Not taking my standards from them.

I will read it again and thank you for posting.

I've read most of that article and I agree with some of it. But still going with two spaces as a salute to my teacher. Microsoft can go and..... When it conned a lot of people in 1995 about Excel it did not change the program code for years n years. Not taking my standards from them.

I will read it again and thank you for posting.

I’v only ever used one space after any punctuation, including full stop, but then again I’ve only ever typed on my phone. Everywhere I’ve read has said one, but at the end of the day it’s like anything else, do what you want to do. 👍😃

2 spaces after a full stop and 1 after a comma was always the rule for qualified typists.

It was NOT just an arbitrary rule for the sake of it, but it made reading much easier,

Instead of peering closely to see whether there was a comma or period to see when a sentence ended, you could see at a glance by the bigger space, and this considerably improved reading speed.

My wife (ex) was not only a qualified shorthand typist and secretary, she was also a qualified typing teacher, and taught me touch typing as well.

Now another question ..... why was the shirt wet?

Answer later if no one gives it first.

I remember doing word processing as it was called now two different exams. I was doing test papers and the tutor told me off as I missed a comma. The girl sitting next to did the same and I remember telling her commas are the devil plaything.;)

I was shocked to get a distinction for auto typing even asked the tutor if he was taking the pee?:LOL:

I have always found basic typing documents very boring, I love fiddly diagrams. Powerpoint etc

On the same theme

IMG_4731.JPG

Latest posts

Back