Awkward situation at work..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I'll try and make this concise as possible..but here goes. Friend of mine works at local theatre and has for some months being telling me that a show is coming that she know i'd love is playing this month and would she like me to reserve some for myself and any work colleagues as she knows we "like our shows". Ooh yes I said, and she replied let me know how many you want and I'll reserve them for you....Unfortunately, it slipped my mind completely and I forgot to ask anyone, a few weeks back I saw this friend just before I was going on holiday and again she said "don't forget to ask your mates about the show, it'll sell out fast" Obviously went on holiday and forgot again!!! about 2 weeks ago I received a text from friend tickets are selling fast, do you still want to go, if so how many tickets do you want, they're starting to sell fast. I lied and said...ooh just waiting on a couple of people to get back to me and I'll let you know for sure. Hurredly checked the available dates and got hold of three colleagues that I a. knew would be available that night and b. would really love to go. Got three very prompt "yes pleases" got straight back to mate and asked her to reserve them. One of my closest work mates had just flown out on hols that day and would be away for over a week. Was in two minds to text her, but was torn as I wasn't sure whether she'd know whether she was available or would contact me in time for me to get tickets reserved. Decided that I'd wait until she returned and try and see if I could get extra tickets then, or whether she and her closest mate wanted to come and they could get tickets and meet us before the show and after for meal and drinks - Guess what I completely forgot and it wasn't until I got rather an upset sounding text from her on Saturday, that the realisation kicked in!

To cut a long story short, I have apologised profusely and with heartfelt sincerity but have literally hit a brick wall! Immediately after the text I called her but it went straight to voicemail, so I simply said I'll try again later, and texted an apology and explained my forgetfulness and offered to make amends, even checking the ticket situation online and asking my mate if she could reserve any more tickets - zero responose - tried calling again later but same thing. I left a message simply saying if you get this message can you give me a call? Ignored!!! Eventually I decided I'd send her a private message via facebook, again I apologised sincerely, but this time got a reply - Two words - Don't worry. No xxxs, as she usually signs off...just this. ..It made me feel really uneasy and dreaded seeing her at work the next day. She was pretty much the first person I saw that day so I said good morning, and she said morning as if nothing had happened, which was a bit of a relief..next day saw her again, and when she was on her own, I tried to personally say sorry again and she just "closed me down" and said told you it doesn't matter. Since then she's only spoken to me if I've spoken first and seems to talk to me in a friendly enough manner, but I know there's something wrong as she's ignoring my posts on facebook (she never does normally). Yes it would be easy enough to just let it ride, but next Sat it's the works do and she usually organises a meet up beforehand, can see myself not getting an invite and next sun a small group of us are doing some volunteering through work and she's gonna be there. So two things I was looking forward too...Instead of excitement I'm feeling trepidation. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but she seems to be acting "extra friendly" towards everyone else in our group of workmates - This is harking back to bullying at school and I absolutely hate it. Most of us are in our 40's and 50's! Didn't think I could be made to feel like this again at my age!!!!

Yes it all sounds very childish on her part. Friends like that are my worst nightmare as I'm scatty and could easily offend someone sensitive. What exactly is she upset about did she want to go and all the tickets are sold out?

Life is hard enough without 'friends' that make you feel bad.

Yes it all sounds very childish on her part. Friends like that are my worst nightmare as I'm scatty and could easily offend someone sensitive. What exactly is she upset about did she want to go and all the tickets are sold out?

Life is hard enough without 'friends' that make you feel bad.

No, I think she was a bit hurt that I didn't invite her and I'm guessing that she's thinking that I should've/could've made the effort to contact her whilst she was away. I did actually mention it to her closest friend who also works with us suggesting that perhaps they both could get tickets and we met up before and after the show. I honestly totally forgot to mention it. Had my non work mate not been so insistent on knowing how many tickets I wanted reserved (which is understandable) I only invited those I could readily get hold of and those I knew would definitely be free on that particular night. No exclusion of anybody was intentional whatsoever, and whilst I may be completely "overthinking" this whole situation, the facebook thing eg, being ignored, and barbed comments via "memes" give me the distinct impression that this lady thinks I've lied to her, and like a lot of people that's a line true friends don't cross!!!
I've tried to explain, this situation has come about through "scattiness" not malice, and as I've said not only have I apologised, I've actually tried to make amends ie..get her and her friend tickets. Turns out she couldn't have gone anyway as she's on a late shift that night!!!! Just don't know what's the matter with people! Like I say I can only describe what I'm being met with is a brick wall! Why can't she just tell me how she's really feeling instead of trying to make out "it's fine" when her actions are so blatantly telling me otherwise?
Being work thing makes it 10 times more difficult as these are people I have to see on a daily basis and what with a couple of social occassions in the pipeline, instead of being able to look forward to them I'm dreading going along to feel awkward, and having to try and start up/include myself in conversations to be possibly "frozen out"!
I can't do anymore. I most certainly won't try and call her again 'cause I don't want to be seen as a stalker and to be honest it'll go straight to voicemail, so would be pointless anyhow - and not only that I'm feeling, hey I don't actually deserve to be treated like this!!
I've got plenty of other friends in and out of work, so I don't rely on them for my entire social existance, also have a happy home life, but this little episode has most certainly upset the equilibrium and I really don't like it!

That's just typical that she can't even make it anyway. Just hold on to the fact that you don't deserve to be treated bad or made to feel bad and communicate that to her or her friends if necessary. It does sound very childish but unfortunately us women can actually behave that way. One day she will realise what is really important in life, probably the hard way.

Be nice to yourself and ignore/forget it.

Okay, step back. Stop trying to bend over backwards to make it up to her. It was a mistake, she is feeling miffed at you she will get over it. Just be your usual chatty self and let some time pass. The more you keep bringing it up the more miffed she will get.

Thanks, I will try and thanks for listening 'cause it's been really therapeutic to be able to offload on here, sometimes talking to someone you don't know and who isn't involved makes things so much clearer. I can't help feeling sad 'cause despite the awkwardness, I considered this lady to be a "friend" rather than an acquantance, and maybe she was right to feel hurt, but I know if situation had been reversed I'd have been so relieved and comforted by such a prompt and heartfelt apology! I most certainly would NOT have behaved in the manner she has towards me, and should it all blow over I am going to be wary in future, which shouldn't really have to be in any true friendship.
There is someone else I can talk to at work about this, but she's also a very close friend of this woman, and knowing the way she is, if she got an inkling we'd been talking about her behind her back, it would make the rift even more difficult to heal. In truth I just want to say "sod you then!" ....and if my day to day happiness wasn't going to be affected by this, believe me I would. Like I said...HOW on earth could a schoolplayground spat be affecting me in my fifties?

Okay, step back. Stop trying to bend over backwards to make it up to her. It was a mistake, she is feeling miffed at you she will get over it. Just be your usual chatty self and let some time pass. The more you keep bringing it up the more miffed she will get.

Thanks Donna...good advice x

Thankfully it has seemed to have blown over and I'm very pleasantly surprised/relieved that it's happened so fast. Whilst I'm cross with myself for being so disorganised in the first place note to self - try harder next time, I'll have to admit I was disappointed to have received such a reaction - however - such is life! Onwards and upwards - thanks for listening folks x

Latest posts

Back