Christmas Stuff

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Dear Lord - (no pun intended), but have just switched on to see an Angel with FLAPPING WINGS ! morphing in different colours! I know at QVC we see an abysmal array of terribly painted resin villages and Christmas trees from some industrial estate in China, but forget market stall, we've now descended to the level of fairground tat ! Well, I'm sure most will think twice at paying these prices (£38) for an ornament, as opposed to that amount putting Christmas food on the table.

Dear Lord - (no pun intended), but have just switched on to see an Angel with FLAPPING WINGS ! morphing in different colours! I know at QVC we see an abysmal array of terribly painted resin villages and Christmas trees from some industrial estate in China, but forget market stall, we've now descended to the level of fairground tat ! Well, I'm sure most will think twice at paying these prices (£38) for an ornament, as opposed to that amount putting Christmas food on the table.
One Christmas, QVC US were selling a stuffed bear with a halo and angel wings. (I don't remember if they flapped). The presenter, who was really unhappy about having to sell it, said, "Why me?" I wonder if the presenters in UK think the same, sometimes.

I just don't get why people feel compelled to buy this sort of ****. Yes, perhaps the kids will love it, but back in my day ('ere we go) a Christmas tree bedecked with baubles, tinsel and some pretty lights was pretty much it. a bit of tinsel round the picture frames, cards hung up on string and the place looked lovely and festive. Not a battery operated plastic figure in sight and we didn't suffer for it!

I actually remember as a young child we had an artificial tree with rather stiff wooden branches and sparse artificial foliage which had small candle holders at the end of each branch and you put small candles similar to those on birthday cakes into them. My Mum lit them on Christmas Eve. Talk about a fire hazard along with paper chains and a string full of cards hanging above the fireplace which was a coal fire at that. I`m surprised I actually survived childhood what with hazardous Christmas decs, no central heating, outside loo, Izal toilet paper, lino not carpets in the bedrooms with rag rugs and being choked to death on toxic nit lotion, goose fat chest rub or Fennings Fever Cure in a bottle !

Yes, Granny and Grandad had Izal loo roll (nasty stuff) but they had a lovely tree, we shouted up their open fire chimney on Christmas Eve (Gran saving our faces from the heat with her apron). Then we set up the table for Santa with beer, mince pies and carrots for Rudolph, such fun. Off to bed, hang the stockings and wait for the big day. I'll never get those days back but very joyful memories.

CC

That presenter (Leanne?) who presents those moving hats, was leaping around the studio shrieking again, while Santa’s legs gyrated around to music on her head. She declared “these are so much fun,” I’m sorry but if someone behaved like that in my house on Christmas I’d recommend that they were certified. 😳

That presenter (Leanne?) who presents those moving hats, was leaping around the studio shrieking again, while Santa’s legs gyrated around to music on her head. She declared “these are so much fun,” I’m sorry but if someone behaved like that in my house on Christmas I’d recommend that they were certified. 😳
She is surely the most annoying BA that Q have ever had. I know it's quite a difficult choice lately but she really gets on my last nerve.

Q never miss an opportunity to sell their Christmas tat and their overpriced food.
On a serious note, come the utility price hike in October there will be large/small manufacturers, large/small shops, large/small warehouses or online suppliers all facing mega electricity or gas bills alongside the massive increases they`ve already had in fuel for their delivery vehicles plus any pending wage increases in order to keep their staff.
I envisage just before Christmas the price of everything will rocket (again) and we the customers already facing massive increases in our own food and utilities will be paying much higher prices for Christmas gifts.
Yep Christmas gifts aren`t important in the general scheme of things, food and warmth come first but now`s the time to grab any worthwhile offers, sales or deals though not from Q.

I discovered a presenter on LBC radio who often talks about QVC, including today when he was ridiculing the Christmas items at this time of year.

LBC is mainly a phone-in station, but this presenter, STEVE ALLEN, just talks non-stop for 3 hours about anything and everything. I discovered him when I woke up early and put the radio on, as he is on from 4am to 7 am.

But there are podcasts of the best bits of each show, and you can also listen to the whole programme again at a more reasonable time.

He is undescribable so you really need to listen, it is an experience.

I just asked Alexa "Play LBC Steve Allen podcast" and today's episode came straight on.

PS he speculated that QVC are probably trying to sell Christmas stuff now as everyone will have run out of money by December.

Last edited:
LBC is my preferred radio station and I have heard Steve Allen’s shows. I agree that he is indescribable because he has no callers or guests but can entertain the audience for three hours. I can be a chatterbox but I could never manage a solo “performance” for that length of time. 😳

I’ll look for the podcast about his QVC comments because I was fast asleep when the programme was on.

QVC are obviously worried that they will be left with a warehouse full of Christmas tat,hence the hard sell now.
As for the food on QVC it’s seriously out of control with the high prices.

LBC is my preferred radio station and I have heard Steve Allen’s shows. I agree that he is indescribable because he has no callers or guests but can entertain the audience for three hours. I can be a chatterbox but I could never manage a solo “performance” for that length of time. 😳

I’ll look for the podcast about his QVC comments because I was fast asleep when the programme was on.
The constant ads on LBC get on my nerves, espeically those that are repeated time and time again. But the podcast repeat has NO ADS :)

The constant ads on LBC get on my nerves, espeically those that are repeated time and time again. But the podcast repeat has NO ADS :)
There are far less ads on LBC than Talk radio or Talk TV, so it’s bearable although not at 4am in the morning. 😉 I agree that the podcasts are a better option though.

Latest posts

Back