Could there be a Counter?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
A long time ago, there was a shopping telly service called Home Shopping Club, based in Florida, which later became Home Shopping Network and which then amalgamated with QVC. Anyway, HSC had a counter on the screen that ticked off each sale, as it happened. I wonder if QVC has the same thing going, but out of sight of customers. This would account for the presenters going off track when the ticker is moving fast. Knuckles telling us how 'gobby' her kids are, for e. g. (Gobby mother, equals gobby kids.) But when the ticker slows down, the presenter will start the hard sell and begin shouting, e. g. Anne Dawson in panic mode. Just an idea.

They regularly had a colour system to tell us what was in stock, limited or sold out in which sizes. I saw it the other day for the first time in years. Now it’s mostly in stock or in stock.

I remember the documentary they did on Channel 4 about Ideal World and QVC. The producers were able to tell AY at the end of a beauty show she had sold £70,000 worth of products. So they do know the figures in the production room straight away.
Wasn’t there a few times when going into a break, the presenter/BA were caught saying how many had been sold thinking that the mikes were off.

To me, of course they have a counter and know both the quantity of products sold and the value of their sales. Don't forget that what's on air and on the website, app and phones is all linked to their warehouse system. They have to be able to track everything. If it's selling well, and at a faster rate than expected, they are then talking to brands about getting more stock or putting in an order so they can sell advanced orders. The limited stock and sold out come up once goods are in people's baskets... and I think it's that way (rather than when check out has happened) to create that sense of urgency and scarcity to ensure people really do check out that basket.
For all QVC's many shortcomings, they are on top of this.
I expect poorer performers amongst the presenter team probably get less popular brands and hours with lower viewer numbers... and will have to improve their numbers to get the choicest timeslots and brands... unless there is a staff shortage forcing Q to put any warm body available in front of camera.

To me, of course they have a counter and know both the quantity of products sold and the value of their sales. Don't forget that what's on air and on the website, app and phones is all linked to their warehouse system. They have to be able to track everything. If it's selling well, and at a faster rate than expected, they are then talking to brands about getting more stock or putting in an order so they can sell advanced orders. The limited stock and sold out come up once goods are in people's baskets... and I think it's that way (rather than when check out has happened) to create that sense of urgency and scarcity to ensure people really do check out that basket.
For all QVC's many shortcomings, they are on top of this.
I expect poorer performers amongst the presenter team probably get less popular brands and hours with lower viewer numbers... and will have to improve their numbers to get the choicest timeslots and brands... unless there is a staff shortage forcing Q to put any warm body available in front of camera.

Well, everyone of the presenters and the canteen staff have all done Marla Wynne ! its on so often. We appear to be getting the same 'push' on this brand as we did during the pandemic - which suggests they have an aircraft hangar full of the stuff that needs to be shifted.

It was the smug look on Ben di Lisi's face and his eyes that seemed to be checking something to the right of the camera that made me think, 'Yes, he knows right now exactly how many are selling.' Of course, some of the time, he may have been admiring himself in the monitor!

It was the smug look on Ben di Lisi's face and his eyes that seemed to be checking something to the right of the camera that made me think, 'Yes, he knows right now exactly how many are selling.' Of course, some of the time, he may have been admiring himself in the monitor!
Both! Man can preen and watch the numbers tick up. Multi-tasking.

For the customer QVC is not the cheapest place to shop. The fashion is way overpriced. I like the Ruthie offerings but the best part of £60.00 and the rest for her jumpers and more is ridiculous. I have two that I like one is the cargo v neck but a T shirt is thicker. paid 1/3 or less on eBay and tbh thats all its worth. Anather favourite is the chunky garter stitch one with leather look strips on the sleeve and zips on the hem. It was on an intro price and my daughter had a £10.00 voucher so it was a nice present. Always get a comment when I wear it.

For the customer QVC is not the cheapest place to shop. The fashion is way overpriced. I like the Ruthie offerings but the best part of £60.00 and the rest for her jumpers and more is ridiculous. I have two that I like one is the cargo v neck but a T shirt is thicker. paid 1/3 or less on eBay and tbh thats all its worth. Anather favourite is the chunky garter stitch one with leather look strips on the sleeve and zips on the hem. It was on an intro price and my daughter had a £10.00 voucher so it was a nice present. Always get a comment when I wear it.
You're telling me! and it's not helped by the ridiculous postage and packing they add to every single item. As for their half price postage for an identical item, not only is this ungenerous in the extreme, it's pretty damn useless, in fact it's a flaming insult! I don't shop with Q unless I can help it, but I received a £5 voucher recently to try an entice me back and every time I try to use it, I hit a brick wall. Prices candles tsv, couldn't use it there because I ended up having to get it on advanced order. I decided that I'd order a set of jumbo gift bags as I was running out, but adding postage bumped my order up to over £18 which jolted me into reality! I did want the bags so I thought yes, I'll add my voucher - because I hadn't spent over £20, (excl p&p), again I couldn't use it. Ok I'll add something else, so I looked around and found a top in clearance for £6.50, yep that takes it up to about £21. I momentarily forgot that I had to add yet another £3.95 to get the top delivered. In the end I thought sod it. I'll manage with the gift bags I've got , and the top was an unecessary afterthought anyway. Sorry Q, if you want to entice customers back, give them a reward that's not riddled with a million clauses!

Watching Marla Wynne the other day. A jacket and trousers which made up into a trouser suit, if you so wished. Sold separately, Jacket was £85, and trousers £60 . Both had the ridiculous p&p of £6. So if you want a trouser suit, you pay £12 p&p!!

I like some Marla Wynn garments but they are far too expensive for me. From a distance they look good but on close-up I can see they aren’t well made in the main.

I’ve just seen a long ‘knitted’ cardi with a swing back - just my style. A close up reveals the hem is overlocked. That will soon become floppy and wavy and also unravel over time. Hems need some substance to them, not necessarily rib nor a turned-up hem, a double stitch would do it.

Middle of last week I ordered 2 pairs of Crocs - one from Amazon and another pair direct from the retailer - both free postage. Both pairs were unsuitable so I informed the sellers, and then printed off the return labels. Free returns, and the only 'inconvenience' was taking them to the local newsagent and garage to drop them off.

Order, arrived, returned for free and all within a WEEK !! with Amazon already refunding my money !!

……. Which is why QVC need to “wake up and smell the coffee“ because the time it takes them to give a refund, their erratic P&P charges and the fact that they sometimes send out returns as “new,” demonstrates how archaic their practice is.

(In my opinion)

Once covid started I decided not to use anything in the kitchen at work and have continued using a bamboo travel mug and my own flask. Unfortunately the mug went belly up (can’t see any holes or splits but it suddenly leaked at the bottom big time) so went on Amazon purchased a replacement which arrived within 2 days. However the size wasn’t as described so straight away logged on a return and it will go back via one of their designated shops and apparently you don’t even need any packaging as it will all be done at the shop. Eat your heart out Q.

A long time ago, there was a shopping telly service called Home Shopping Club, based in Florida, which later became Home Shopping Network and which then amalgamated with QVC. Anyway, HSC had a counter on the screen that ticked off each sale, as it happened. I wonder if QVC has the same thing going, but out of sight of customers. This would account for the presenters going off track when the ticker is moving fast. Knuckles telling us how 'gobby' her kids are, for e. g. (Gobby mother, equals gobby kids.) But when the ticker slows down, the presenter will start the hard sell and begin shouting, e. g. Anne Dawson in panic mode. Just an idea.
I remember when The Apprentice did shoppingtelly it was at IW. The candidate directing had a counter telling them how many sold/how many left etc.

Latest posts

Back