Do ethical considerations influence your buying from QVC?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Do ethical considerations influence your buying from QVC?

• I always consider this with every purchase

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I consider this with some purchases

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • I've thought about it and it bothers me somewhat but if I want the item I'll still buy it.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I've thought about it and it doesn't bother me at all.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I've never really considered it.

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
We've often discussed the source of some of the products sold on QVC, whether it be the country of origin, the labour force and their working conditions, or the ethical reputation of the manufacturer or personality behind the range.

Do any of these factors influence what you buy from QVC?

This is an anonymous poll.

I don't find that QVC give enough background to where their products have come from.

I try to think about the ethical reasons,when purchasing any product.I don't buy "supermarket" clothes as I imagine it to be very cheaply produced - and the same with matalan and primark.

I liked body shop stuff until it "sold out" and I now feel the same way about Liz Earle.

Although I've never bought Ojon (mainly by the reviews) I like the fact they are giving some background on their product.

I thought it was good to hear the other night on NN when susie Adams gave the name of the company who dealt with all their feather and pillow products - and invited people to google them.

I would like to know more background on the QVC lines - however I suspect as they are mostly American imports - the presents and wannabe model guests are none the wiser either.....

This forum is brill - you get a lot more background info than QVC provides. Wouldn't buy anything that would benefit Basso, that's for damn sure. No longer purchase C&P since they changed it. Deffo won't buy anything with emu oil in it - that's just gross. It's not like lanolin which comes from sheep's wool, the emu oil comes from the emu's fat :(

I try and evaluate each purchase or at least a range or line, whether it is a purchase from QVC, the supermarket, a high street shop, etc. But with the marketplace being so "global" and little traceable information available as to true orgin of manufacure or production, who the workers are and the conditions they work in, it can be difficult. I don't hold it against a company for being sold to a larger company. And I don't think of it as selling out. It's business. But everyone has their choice and opinion about this. I watch to see what happens afterwords, if the products change for the worse or better, if the place of production changes and what reasons are given.

Probably most products sold on QVC are made in developing or "3rd world" nations. Most manufacting of "American goods" take place in Latin American countries or some Asian, but a lot in China. So being imported from America doesn't mean that products are made there. Same goes for European products, even high-end luxury European items, more than likely they too have been made in China. Only when people choose to purchase made at home items that have quality and when people choose quality over quantity will things change.

I don't begrudge developing nations their chance in the sun for a better life, but hope it doesn't mean bad working conditions or slave labour. Unfortunatley it often does.

You've mostly summed it up for me AmethystRox , it's nigh on impossible not to buy something without connection to a developing nation.

I won't buy specific products or brands based on what I learn from documentries, news, this forum etc. But you also have to consider the consequences of what happens to these countries if we don't buy, import/export is vital for all of us?

Hmmm we could look at this two ways.

One is is that over 66% of the people who voted DO care about ethical implications and it influences their buying decisions.

The other is that with only 48 respondents, the vast majority of people couldnt give a toss :happy:

thanks for voting :sun:

I won't buy Dennis Basso stuff not as long as he uses animal skins in his designer shops, especially seal skin. Watching a documentary about the clubbing of the seals and the screaming from the babies and their mothers while they are skinned alive had me in tears, how anyone can wear them is beyond me and that man buys the skins, hideous man is not making money from me, and shame on QVC for having him on.

i liked the idea of decleor and clientelle due to the natural elements, I also liked the American guy who did make up..cannot remember his name. Love the idea of BE and also tried Liz Earle. On household, i tried the Soy cleaner and like the idea of less harsh chemicals with cleaning and approve of steam cleaners but my flat is not big enough to justify. I though QVC had an ethical background and maybe it did in the beginning, but now I think it will sell anything.

Thank you for this great thread:up:

I have tried to become more ethical with all of my purchases. I now look at labels when I'm out shopping to see where things are made because I can't justify buying anything made in developing countries. I once bought a Sonia Rykiel cardigan for £60 reduced from £300 and its made in China, I wonder how much the person who made it got paid?

I don't buy gemstone jewellery anymore, I buy from a company called Kazuri which is all made in Kenya and you can read the story about them on their website. John Lewis sells Kazuri. I also buy my handbags from a company called Earth Squared which are extremely affordable and again have a lovely story behind them.

I think the hardest thing to buy is clothing. I buy some of my clothes from Sea Salt and also Edun.

For skincare I buy from a company called HerbFarmacy, Make-up is Lily Lolo, Bath, Body and Shampoo is Abahna and Jersey Cow, which are all made in the UK and I also have some Coconoil which is produced in Sri Lanka when I need more moisture. Faith in Nature and Evoke skincare are ethically produced.

For some it doesn't matter where things are made but for others it matters a great deal. Which is why I have bought from QVC for a while. I also bought some lamps and bedding from Laura Ashley which are made in China. I am on the look out for british made pillows, duvets and lamps.

I buy my dinnerware from Susie Watson Designs which are ethically produced.

Being honest if I see something I want from QVC I will buy it - I don't know how ethically made/sourced are the nailpolishes, make-up and jewellery I purchase. However if I knew that someone was only getting a small wage for doing it, then I would think that at least they are earning something rather than starving or having to beg. If a decent wage could be guaranteed then I would be prepared to pay more for the things I buy.

Latest posts

Back