Giraffes and Ducks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Once again in a fashion presentation a tall model was likened to a giraffe. There were printed giraffes on the bottom of a pj set. If there were a set with ducks printed on the trousers
which was being modeled by Claire, who is short and rotund, would a presenter compare her to a duck, ie having 'duck's disease' (ars. too close to the floor?) Of course, not. So lay off the tall models, please!

Candycane, I once had a friend when we were out shopping, I had walked over to a shelf. I walked back over, and she told me, I was talking to that woman I thought it was you because she is short! I also used to get in the supermarket, can you get that for me? It was on the bottom shelf and because I was short, easier for me to reach. I also get the short arse and midget comments.

But then when I am in the supermarket, I have to look and ask someone passing if they can reach something from the top shelf for me? If no one around, I use my folding umbrella, pull out the stick bit and reach up to knock what I want down. I am sure the security cameras catch it and the guards have a real laugh.

They usually bend over backwards not to offend so we get ‘fuller arms’ and ‘well-developed calves’. It makes me smile on shopping telly but it’s not so funny when a doctor can’t tell a patient they’re obese and need to lose weight for fear of upsetting them. Honestly where does it end?

They usually bend over backwards not to offend so we get ‘fuller arms’ and ‘well-developed calves’. It makes me smile on shopping telly but it’s not so funny when a doctor can’t tell a patient they’re obese and need to lose weight for fear of upsetting them. Honestly where does it end?
Have you heard the BA for Moda in Pelle describe feet with bunions as 'shapely feet'?

I’m short and fat. Which would I rather be .. tall and fat or small and thin? Don’t really know to be honest - possibly tall as taller people can carry extra weight and still look good whereas a shorty needs to be really slim!
There's a tall, 3X QVC model... Is her name Sophie? She looks good, except they cram her into size 2X. And there are a couple of small, short models who look awful in the size small because the jumpers or blouses are like dresses on them and the sleeves cover their knuckles. However, I think it's difficult to judge the correct size or height of anyone who appears on TV. The cameras warp things.

I think it's Sophia and it appears the stylists don't like her as they send her out in things that are far too short and far too small. Pink, stretchy polyester cropped trousers when you have big legs does not look good.

When I clicked on this thread I thought the title “giraffes and ducks” was going to be Cockney rhyming slang - dread to think for what?! 😂

I’m a “giraffe” and especially when I was growing up, I would often get referred to as “big”...
I hated it because yes I’ve always been tall but also always slim.

And it’s so tedious commenting on people’s height - like really tall men (my ex was 6’7” tall) with the constant “what’s the weather like up there?!” 🙄

Have to say, though, that think IRL “shorties” (aka “short arses”, awful term!) have to contend with many more of these types of comments.
Must be so annoying and it’s never funny and mostly offensive!

The girl I sat beside in the last year of primary school was 5.8" and I was 5'1 and half. We never thought about it, and I cannot remember anyone else is class bullying us?

Her claim to famous was her uncle was Stephen Boyd, the actor who was in Ben Hur.

Once again in a fashion presentation a tall model was likened to a giraffe. There were printed giraffes on the bottom of a pj set. If there were a set with ducks printed on the trousers
which was being modeled by Claire, who is short and rotund, would a presenter compare her to a duck, ie having 'duck's disease' (ars. too close to the floor?) Of course, not. So lay off the tall models, please!
This is it, it's always deemed ok to mention somebody's slimness, compare their figures to animals, I've heard giraffe, gazelle, swan - creatures which are seen as majestic/graceful. When it comes to larger ladies, especially when they don't have height, it's only the person themselves who has the God given right to compare themselves with a duck, baby elephant or what have you. So yes, if Claire appeared on set wearing a pair of pjs with a duck print, they'd say Claire looks amazing in these and look at the quirky duck print!
I agree, they shouldn't, it's double standards and how do they know that the tall willowy model,( or viewer for that matter) hasn't been teased relentlessly in their past for their giraffe like appearance and that it still makes them feel uncomfortable? These presentations are supposed to be professional, and that really isn't!

I would guess that a large percentage of Q customers fall into the larger sizes category yet they make no effort at all to show that plus size models can look good, in fact they seem to go out of their way to make them look as bad as it’s possible to get.
And a visible panty line should have been pointed out before the plus size model’s appearance. Then again, as a professional model she should have known what underwear to wear to avoid this.

Never met a doctor who couldn’t or didn’t inform a patient that their weight is a concern and they are medically obese?

I remember when my sister in law was pregnant with her first child and put on a huge amount of weight with the pregnancy.
My brother also put on weight too although he was extremely fit and muscular.

He went to GP about something and GP weighed him and told him his BMI made him obese...

He then went crazy with trying to lose weight and very obsessive about food and exercise... Still is :(

Having had a serious eating disorder myself in my teens and early twenties, I think it’s important to be sensitive around people’s weight and size.

Of course medically need to be able to be honest and clinical, but there are ways of doing so kindly and not bluntly etc...

Trouble is, it’s often the wrong people who take the message or comment to heart and those who need to hear it don’t care!

I rarely watch Q these days but I remember Lennie used to refer to bingo wings and muffin tops.I think he could be a little familiar with the models. Now I don’t think these words are used.
I agree about the obesity thing and doctors. The surgery nurse looked at my blood results weighed me and measured my waist. I have always been fairly slim. She added up my figures and said I had a 20%chance of dying of a heart attack in the next 20 years. Which means I have an 80% chance of not.I think they were trying to get me on to statins.
Since then I was diagnosed with Lymphoma so their predictions mean not very much.

This is it, it's always deemed ok to mention somebody's slimness, compare their figures to animals, I've heard giraffe, gazelle, swan - creatures which are seen as majestic/graceful. When it comes to larger ladies, especially when they don't have height, it's only the person themselves who has the God given right to compare themselves with a duck, baby elephant or what have you. So yes, if Claire appeared on set wearing a pair of pjs with a duck print, they'd say Claire looks amazing in these and look at the quirky duck print!
I agree, they shouldn't, it's double standards and how do they know that the tall willowy model,( or viewer for that matter) hasn't been teased relentlessly in their past for their giraffe like appearance and that it still makes them feel uncomfortable? These presentations are supposed to be professional, and that really isn't!
I was taught that so called 'personal comments' are rude and ill mannered. Julia once described a model as a 'giant' which didn't go down well with the model. Julia quickly added that she was jealous as she, herself, is quite short. Just giving the height of the model and the size they are wearing is sufficient personal info. BTW, I'm fed up with Ruth Langsford constantly reminding us that she is 'busty'. Tell us the size you are wearing, woman, and if the garment in question runs small or roomy. I, for one, don't want to hear about her anatomy.

Latest posts

Back