Gold weight

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Deasmum

Registered Shopper
I am currently watching Gemporia Lifestyle with Rosie and they are selling Greenland rubies' rings. I was so shocked to see the gold weight. One of the rings, being sold for 199 pounds, had only 1.21g of gold and the previous one 1.57g. I know that in the past it was much discussed on this forum the thin gold bands sold by Gemporia, but this gold weight or lack of thereof surpasses everything, it is ridiculous. I am not delicate enough to wear such a fragile ring, so my money is safe.

I am currently watching Gemporia Lifestyle with Rosie and they are selling Greenland rubies' rings. I was so shocked to see the gold weight. One of the rings, being sold for 199 pounds, had only 1.21g of gold and the previous one 1.57g. I know that in the past it was much discussed on this forum the thin gold bands sold by Gemporia, but this gold weight or lack of thereof surpasses everything, it is ridiculous. I am not delicate enough to wear such a fragile ring, so my money is safe.
Their rubies look fake. My mum‘s engagement ring is a ruby, and it's red, not pink!

I have said for years the rubies they sell are more pink than red. We have a high-end jeweller in my city centre, their rubies are proper red now the price does match this.

As for the gold weight, a friend and I used to sit and watch, and I used to shout at the TV show the gold weight. Massive stones in really thin gold no matter the size, you will get 1.19 from j to whatever the largest size is. Many years ago on this forum loads bought from Gems, and it was the second most popular part of the forum after QVC. I remember people saying never buy any rings with lower that at least 1.50 grams as far too thin and will break or snap with wear.

I have said for years the rubies they sell are more pink than red. We have a high-end jeweller in my city centre, their rubies are proper red now the price does match this.

As for the gold weight, a friend and I used to sit and watch, and I used to shout at the TV show the gold weight. Massive stones in really thin gold no matter the size, you will get 1.19 from j to whatever the largest size is. Many years ago on this forum loads bought from Gems, and it was the second most popular part of the forum after QVC. I remember people saying never buy any rings with lower that at least 1.50 grams as far too thin and will break or snap with wear.
Totally agree with you both. Rubies look more like pink sapphires than rubies sometimes. It was especially the case with the Greenland rubies, in my opinion.
It was fascinating to hear what you had to say about the former popularity of Gemporia, Donna255. I wonder if the change here in the forum reflects a wider loss of popularity. I don't really believe them when they are constantly on and on about how busy they are! After all, you see the same pieces over and over again....

Deasmum, people used to buy two or three of the same item, pick which they consider the better then just send the others back.

The breaking point for Gems and posters here were two scandals. After that, posters just seemed to leave and not bother buying or posting.

One, was the Russian Alexandrite, which they stated was from a private collection that they bought. Er, no, it was Indian. The Russian is very rare and very, very expensive. People demanded their money back.

The other was sorry I am having a mental blank of the name, but the sapphire that is the colour of a lotus. Again, very expensive for natural and turned out it was heat treated and not the quality they were stating. All hell broke out on here as people so angry at not getting what they were told and paid for.

I was not aware of this. That's fascinating. They were lucky not to have gotten involved in the red andesine scandal that affected some US shopping channels some years ago. Like everyone else in the beginning, some networks thought that red andesine was natural rather than diffused and sold it as such. One US channel was even fined for it when it was discovered that red Andesine was diffused. Gem Collector still sells Tarocco Red Andesine, but they are careful to disclose the diffusion treatment.

Deasmum, people used to buy two or three of the same item, pick which they consider the better then just send the others back.

The breaking point for Gems and posters here were two scandals. After that, posters just seemed to leave and not bother buying or posting.

One, was the Russian Alexandrite, which they stated was from a private collection that they bought. Er, no, it was Indian. The Russian is very rare and very, very expensive. People demanded their money back.

The other was sorry I am having a mental blank of the name, but the sapphire that is the colour of a lotus. Again, very expensive for natural and turned out it was heat treated and not the quality they were stating. All hell broke out on here as people so angry at not getting what they were told and paid for.
Was this Padparascha sapphire (probably wrong spelling)? I didn't know about these two scandals...interesting...

Latest posts

Back