halcyon days of buying jewellery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
In the days (2004/2006) when I bought a lot of jewellery (rings) from qvc I also kept the printout of the item with picture, carat weight and description.

Blimey oh riley, on having a major bedroom clearout, have just found the envelope with all this paperwork. What a nostalgic trip ! here is a sample.....

9ct white gold moonstone & diamond accent solitaire ring ...... £68.50
9ct gold 1.5 ct peridot and diamond ring.......£71.50
9ct gold 28ct amethyst chequer cut pendant......£144.75
9ct gold 2.1ct amethyst cluster ring .....£58.90

and my piece d'resistance

9ct white gold 13ct swiss blue topaz ring in CLEARANCE AT £68.85 from £120 !!!!!

The prices above are what we are now expected to pay for beauty products. But it does make a mockery of diamonique prices at over £200 six years later.

QUOTE=brissles;585007]In the days (2004/2006) when I bought a lot of jewellery (rings) from qvc I also kept the printout of the item with picture, carat weight and description.

Blimey oh riley, on having a major bedroom clearout, have just found the envelope with all this paperwork. What a nostalgic trip ! here is a sample.....

9ct white gold moonstone & diamond accent solitaire ring ...... £68.50
9ct gold 1.5 ct peridot and diamond ring.......£71.50
9ct gold 28ct amethyst chequer cut pendant......£144.75
9ct gold 2.1ct amethyst cluster ring .....£58.90

and my piece d'resistance

9ct white gold 13ct swiss blue topaz ring in CLEARANCE AT £68.85 from £120 !!!!!

The prices above are what we are now expected to pay for beauty products. But it does make a mockery of diamonique prices at over £200 six years later.[/QUOTE]

Do you still have or wear them? I have fazes where I find something Id forgotten about and then wear it to death again till I find something else I didnt know I had:sun:[

Yes, Yorko I still wear some of them. BIG PROBLEM now though, arthritis has taken hold, so cant get some of them over the knobbly bits on the fingers. If I had them made bigger to fit, then they would swivvle around once I had got them on.

I had a word with my local jeweller and I could take the whole lot in for him to price, but would only get the gold weight without the stones, so its either have them melted down into perhaps a pendant or give them away.

I have bought quite a lot of gold clearance items from qvc over the years when the prices were excellent. Not any more.

QUOTE=brissles;585059]Yes, Yorko I still wear some of them. BIG PROBLEM now though, arthritis has taken hold, so cant get some of them over the knobbly bits on the fingers. If I had them made bigger to fit, then they would swivvle around once I had got them on.

I had a word with my local jeweller and I could take the whole lot in for him to price, but would only get the gold weight without the stones, so its either have them melted down into perhaps a pendant or give them away.[/QUOTE]

That would be a shame as they sound lovely, make sure if you gift them that they go to someone special who will look after them:sun:[

Hey yorko,

Don't worry about diamond prices. now a days you can buy affordable loose diamond from any online jewelry shop.
First of all don't worry about online shopping. It's lot safer now a days. But Still There are some points you should think about it before buying diamond jewelry online.

1. Security: Always check that the website offers you secure transaction. Look for logos from internet security companies.

2. Free Shipping: Almost Every other online jewelry stores offers free shipping.

3. Return Policy: Make sure that you don't have to pay restocking fees in case if you want to return and get your money back.

Few days back I help a long time friend buy a engagement ring from Fascinating Diamond It's a New York based online diamond jewelry shop, But it offers it's services in many other cities of USA.(Check the Image in attachment)

And with my personal experience I can tell you it's fairly affordable.

heart thin ring.jpg
It's a thin diamond of Bar set diamonds surrounding the diamond of your choice. He chose Heart Shaped Diamond.

Hey yorko,

Don't worry about diamond prices. now a days you can buy affordable loose diamond from any online jewelry shop.
First of all don't worry about online shopping. It's lot safer now a days. But Still There are some points you should think about it before buying diamond jewelry online.

1. Security: Always check that the website offers you secure transaction. Look for logos from internet security companies.

2. Free Shipping: Almost Every other online jewelry stores offers free shipping.

3. Return Policy: Make sure that you don't have to pay restocking fees in case if you want to return and get your money back.

Few days back I help a long time friend buy a engagement ring from Fascinating Diamond It's a New York based online diamond jewelry shop, But it offers it's services in many other cities of USA.(Check the Image in attachment)

And with my personal experience I can tell you it's fairly affordable.

View attachment 8065
It's a thin diamond of Bar set diamonds surrounding the diamond of your choice. He chose Heart Shaped Diamond.

Hello
Thanks for the post but think if should be for Bristles as I had attached her quote to my reply (does look a bit confusing now that I look back at it).

But like I say thanks anyway:sun:

Last edited:
A friend of mine got rings she could no long wear made into a lovely bracelet. The jeweller used all the stones and sort of randomly scattered them into a slim bangle type setting. But it was like a half bangle half bracelet so she didn't have to squish her arthritic hand through it if you see what I mean.

It's obviously unique to her.

I've tried to sell pieces on eBay before and you get nothing like what they're worth. I found it much mote pleasurable to distribute my unwanted pieces amongst friends and family.

Thats a good idea Tinks, more food for thought.

Another problem I discovered many years ago, (in the days when they used to tell you to get pieces valued by your local jeweller), was that as soon as the jeweller sees QVC stamped inside the ring they didn't want to know, particularly on the valuing side. So a few friends have benefitted from my earlier purchases, and you're right, a lot of pleasure in the giving. (Cant take it with me when the time comes !!!!!)

Not an original idea from me but I really like it.

Other than a couple of rose gold rings I've mainly bought silver and semi precious stones from QVC so haven't had any valued but my local jeweller has altered a few and has commented on the unusual stones I've bought. On a diamonique ring he did say to watch what I paid as the weight of the silver wasn't high but when I told him what I'd paid he said it was OK. He isn't funny about QVC jewellery.

He knows me well though and we bought my engagement ring from him. He is my preferred jeweller but he can't compete with QVC for diversity and price. I still buy from him though.

Latest posts

Back