Hope its just me!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree with what everyone has said, and I have to say that in a lot of ways I don't think Carol has anyone to blame but herself! Sheput on a number of very high end items last night that were £400+, and despite a lot of people in chat stating that it was out of their price range on each occasion, she persisted in adding them. Not one of these items sold.

We are also all getting used to the new system, and trying to predict where the prices are going to drop to. I think most of us can watch Gems and predict the end price by what the start price is! We are trying to get to that point with Rocks, but it is going to take a while!

I really don't think Carol ranting at us is going to make us buy the items. If anything it is going to make us switch off!

I wasn't about much yesterday but when I did briefly pop in, Carol was referring to the people logged on (ie loyal Rocks customers) as "you lot" which frankly is rather rude in my opinion. I had the impression that the people chatting were being admonished by a stern teacher for not paying full attention. Ok, sometimes people just go there to meet and chat to their pals, but while they are logged on, there is always the chance an item will catch their eye and tempt them to spend.

I am one of those people, but invariably, as you say, something catches my eye almost nightly and I end up purchasing. That, IMO, is the absolute genius shown by Rocks in having the chat box!

Well, I have to admit I still really like Carol as a presenter - I love her zaniness - but it seems that the new format doesn't suit her style so well.

It does bother a bit when she says "I promise you will never see this this low again" - really? I'm not remotely convinced; I might start making a note of items where she says that and see whether, in fact it DOES go that low (or lower) again. The other thing is when Presenters keep going on about how much money they are losing, how the item cost more to make, etc. Are you really quite sure about that, Rocks? Do the presenters know how much each item cost to make? 'Cos you shouldn't make claims like that unless they're 100% true and verifiable.

The ASA would have a field day! No, I have absolutely no intention of reporting Rocks TV to the ASA, but John Bennet we know you're a lawyer ('cos it says so at the bottom of your e-mails) and I'm sure you're reading this!

We had all this before about the presenters going on constantly about the prices on the other format and after a few complaints from us they actually did stop saying it .So maybe a few more grumbles from us will put a stop to it again i cant afford to buy the high end items but i do try to buy some middle of the range things when funds allow but i will chose if and when i buy so i dont need someone ranting at me to do so

I have felt that the last couple of days Carol is getting p'd off with us for not spending more (by the way I bought that bracelet, hope I don't get the one she threw away in a tantrum...).
I can't help but think that it must be a difficult tightrope to walk for the auctioneers (are they auctioneers now? Or just salespeople?) deciding what to put on and when to pull items.
I also think that there are a lot of people making requests for items they could afford under the old system, but can't under the new one. It's not surprising that people are a little bit confused about how much things will cost - especially if, unlike me(!) they don't spend all their evenings lurking around Rocks. I can see why an auctioneer would get annoyed about being asked to auction specific items then having to pull them. I guess to the auctioneer it's the customer taking the p*** and trying to pull a fast one and get the item at below cost, while to the customer it's "I saw this go for xx a couple of weeks ago when I was on and I thought I'd get it for the same-ish". I know I haven't requested anything since the switch as I have no idea if I'm going to be shamed into spending double what I want on an item.
The transition has been tough, as example see the newly banned member who was whinging about the prices in chat last night. But to get back on topic, yes bh, it is very offputting when you feel like you are being berated for hours on end.

ooooh...who got banned? :55:

Think that's right Cherry, started ranting that they were going to bad mouth the site to everyone etc., then obviously used swear words which were censored. I didn't see alot that night as my connection was playing up, but I asked Katherine what the problem was, and it seems the person in question had managed to snag everything they had bought at below cost, so wasn't happy to pay more.

Getting back to the subject, I'm afraid I agree with you all, I don't log on to have Carol getting in a strop if people don't buy, and then listen to the endless, rants about not budging on the price etc. I don't think it's good business to berate your customers if they choose not to buy what's on offer, after all, it is our choice where and how we spend our money. At times I think she's pulled an auction too quickly, as people in chat have commented that they wanted to buy, and other times it's dragged on and on.

For me, I'm not particularly interested in the high end pieces, more the everyday pieces, and I'm delighted with everything I bought, but if she continues with that attitude, I won't watch when she's on.

:doggie:

Has anyone else noticed that Barry seems to take the prices much lower than Carol does? I just bought a ring at £444 from Barry which Carol pulled the other night at £617, saying she couldn't drop it a any lower!

What's with that? Not blaming Carol for that - she's trying to do the right thing to make money for her employers - but it seems strange that the presenters are given that much discretion.

P.S. I also think Barry seems like a sweet guy. (But I still like Carol as a presenter, too.)

Barry is more relaxed and seems happy to drop the price to make people come in the auction rather than pull the auction. Unfortunately Barry has made me fill my basket again!!!!!!!!!!

I think Barry's a sweetheart. Carole makes me edgy, despite being funny as hell when she's relaxed.

I think barry is more relaxed as he has been through a few bussines ventures with Mr Bennet before....perhaps thats why he is more confident to drop prices.
I like carol presenting there are times when no one bids on an item and she gets frustrated. Persoanly I have a very very limited budget so I cannot fork out 100 notes on a piece of bling even is it was worth 4 times that.........:53:

Carol has a habit of bugging me too, she seems so irritated when people get bargains....allmost as if its coming out of her own pay packet! As others have said, an item is only worth what your prepared to pay for it! Her screeching also gets on my nerves too...calm down luv no need to screech like a dying banshee!! Barry is much easier to watch, laid back, easy going and also is banter is great too! Given a choice of auctioneer to watch Barry wins hands down day after day!

Agree with comments about Carol - I find myself getting irritated and turn the sound down. Also when she drops the price she'll say "That's obscene". Hello??? What's "obscene" about a low price for a piece of bling? I've heard the term used elsewhere for exhorbitantly high prices, simply because they're an immoral rip-off - but to call a low price obscene is a bit over the top -"ridiculous" would be a better adjective, if she wants to push the fact that she's dropped the price.

One of the first rules of selling is "The customer is always right." The customer does not want to be lectured like a naughty child. Personally, nothing a presenter says will make me buy something if I don't like the look of it or the price isn't low enough.

And like you others, I can't see how they're making more money with this format with the items that are pulled, and only selling one at a time at a much slower pace.

OH dear... I'm starting to find Carol irritating now, too. Pity, because I really used to like her presenting style...

Latest posts

Back