Is aromatherapy just a nice smell?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I once had to speak to a member of my work team about her over use of perfume. She shared an office with 2 other people and one of them suffered migraines. The other said the smell made him feel nauseous. For safety reasons the windows would only open a couple of inches so there was little opportunity to get fresh air into the room which was quite small anyway.
The person in question used to come into work reeking of Obsession perfume, she must have sprayed and sprayed it all over herself. You could actually smell her walking down the corridor. She`d then reapply it several times throughout the day. It was a difficult conversation but when clients who actually lived on the premises (it was a hostel for homeless men ) also began complaining about it, then it needed to be done.
Body odour is body odour.... it's not just those with poor hygiene who can stink!

I hate that Poeme perfume, makes me feel ill and a woman at work wore it on purpose to annoy me. I had to move offices. That Aromatics perfume was the same. Far too strong for my nose.

I like the L'Occitane Herbae scents but they only last about 5 minutes which is a shame as they are light and summery.

CC

I was on a plane a few years ago and a woman sat next to me with the original Jimmy choo perfume for women .. thank goodness she decided to go to another seat .. I swear that perfume for me is the worst in an enclosed space. I knew it was that as I had bought it myself once and it started to make me feel ill … so I understand how a perfume can make a person feel actually ill

I love the smell of Clinique Aromatics ( the original one) in the bottle and on other people. Unfortunately, on me, it smells of cat.
I used to wear it way back, and strangely I always had men coming up to chat to me when out for a night with friends.

Then a friend started to wear it, and the heavy-handed spraying put me off it for life.

Guerlain Samsara, I bought it when it was first released and well yes liked it.

Then a woman in worked started wearing it every day, the non-stop wafting across the desk five days a week, grew to hate it. I gave my bottle away.

Oh for the long ago days when I could actually wear perfume.
For years I wore and loved Chanel Mademoiselle, now I can't even wear that, as it now smells different to me
I don't think it has changed, but could be that my sensitivity to scent has increased, I don't know :unsure:

The reformulations of old favourites hasn't helped, some now smell nothing like the originals.
An old favourite from way back was Givenchy111, don't think it's around now, but if it is, it won't be the same I'm sure.

Another friend wore nothing but Mademoiselle. I thought it smelt horrible on her, but never said anything she liked.

Ingredients get banned, companies want to make more profits so use cheaper ingredients.

Way back 2000, I remember Shalimar going into what most called the bat wing bottle from the original ridged one. I swore it smelt different. Roja Dove who worked for Guerlain came to my local Debenhams for an event which I attended. I cornered him and asked about Shalimar, and he admitted to me, they had changed to cheaper bergamot not the original Italian and also the Indian Sandalwood was now from somewhere else and cheaper. It made a big difference to Shalimar.

Byzance - Rochas and Magie Noir - Lancome were both perfumes where friends said that they knew it was me. Sadly both have been reformulated and are nothing like the originals on me. I don't spray perfume directly onto my skin, I mist a small amount in front of me and walk into it.
Donna, you may know, but didn't someone say that perfume had to be worn so that others had to lean into you to smell it

I`ve just come out of hospital earlier today and one of the night nurses totally reeked of Angel perfume. Last night she brought round the water jugs and glasses and when I poured water into the glass and drank it, all I could smell was her perfume. During the night she came and went to check my BP and oxygen level plus my catheter and her perfume was just so cloying it made me feel nauseous.
Having said that, my son once bought me a gift set containing Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers perfume and body lotion and I hated it. On me it literally smelled like my cat`s litter tray when it was wet. It smelled totally horrible on me.
Perfume is such a subjective thing which I fully understand but some should really be labelled with a Government health warning ie can cause migraine, nausea, taint food and drink or literally engulf a whole room with its strength.

I`ve just come out of hospital earlier today and one of the night nurses totally reeked of Angel perfume. Last night she brought round the water jugs and glasses and when I poured water into the glass and drank it, all I could smell was her perfume. During the night she came and went to check my BP and oxygen level plus my catheter and her perfume was just so cloying it made me feel nauseous.
Having said that, my son once bought me a gift set containing Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers perfume and body lotion and I hated it. On me it literally smelled like my cat`s litter tray when it was wet. It smelled totally horrible on me.
Perfume is such a subjective thing which I fully understand but some should really be labelled with a Government health warning ie can cause migraine, nausea, taint food and drink or literally engulf a whole room with its strength.
Hope you feel better Vienna ..
Angel I dab on cotton wool and then just one dab on my crease of elbow and that does it … spraying that isn’t an option for me otherwise I hate it .. sunflowers cat litter 😂👍

Byzance - Rochas and Magie Noir - Lancome were both perfumes where friends said that they knew it was me. Sadly both have been reformulated and are nothing like the originals on me. I don't spray perfume directly onto my skin, I mist a small amount in front of me and walk into it.
Donna, you may know, but didn't someone say that perfume had to be worn so that others had to lean into you to smell it
Yes, I have heard that. But, with COVID, you do not want that! If you can smell it yourself, that is all you need.

I love Magie Noir, vintage bottles go for big money on eBay. Femme and Madam Rochas, I managed to get at excellent prices for vintage pre-1989, is when they did the big reformulations.

Yes, I have heard that. But, with COVID, you do not want that! If you can smell it yourself, that is all you need.

I love Magie Noir, vintage bottles go for big money on eBay. Femme and Madam Rochas, I managed to get at excellent prices for vintage pre-1989, is when they did the big reformulations.
With COVID, you are probably better off spraying yourself with something that keeps everybody as far away as possible.

I remember the same V, 3 young girls back in the early 90s, one wore Poison, another Anais Anais and another wore Samsara. Well as they walked through the office at 9 a.m this waft of heavy perfume nearly had everyone heading for the toilet to vomit ! They were bathed in the stuff. Sometimes those heavily perfumed cheap body sprays have the same effect - they should be banned. They stink !!!
Poison used to give me migraines, it was vile, my mum used to wear it occasionally! I'm quite sensitive to strong smells, thankfully I've never worked with anybody who reeked of perfume.

Latest posts

Back