Joe and Seph

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Everything has a ceiling price and, I don't think I'm being a scrooge, this popcorn is exorbitantly priced, even for those gourmets out there. 10 packs of sickly sweet popcorn, 873grams, £28.77 incl. postage. the local home bargains is selling a branded toffee apple popcorn at 0.49p for a 150g bag. To get the quantity in the J+S bags, you would need to buy 6 bags at 0.49p, at a grand total of £2.94. Having said all that, I cannot comment on the quality of J+S, never having tried it.

Everything about this popcorn makes my blood boil. Pop to argos, get a popcorn machine for £15 and sprinkle on some spices/whatever you want, done. The thing is, if you were in a position to splash out on an expensive treat, would you seriously be wanting flavoured popcorn?

Even cheaper than bags of toffee popcorn is dried popping corn. Even the microwave bags are cheaper than J&S, and imo nothing beats freshly popped corn eaten hot; the pre-popped stuff just doesn't taste as good regardless of the spices or flavourings added.

I wouldn`t pay the price for this stuff even if it came with a free tub of dental floss !
( popcorn`s a bugger for getting stuck in the teeth isn`t it ? )

Does anyone else have the Whirlygig popcorn maker from QVC? It's a large pan with a stirring mechanism to help the popped corn move to the top and unpopped corn move to the base of the pan so it will be heated and pop. As Akimbo says the bags of popping corn are very inexpensive so the proft margin on the J & S must be huge.

Did anyone see Alison Young pinching some of the J & S popcorn last night? She nipped in out of shot but Dale highlighted it and she was caught on camera. Dale then said that he had never seen her mouth closed for such a long time!

Me and the hubby are from ABC cinemas in days of old, popcorn was one the biggest money spinners, MASSIVE profits. This is a complete rip off.

Buy a bag of 500g popcorn kernels about £2 from Tesco, heat oil in bottom of your heaviest pan, throw in popcorn, add flavouring if you want and bingo! My kids loved making it and opening the lid to see if the last one had popped then eating it.

Just under a fiver a bag or just under £20 for 400g from QVC??? Ripoff isn't a strong enough word.

Latest posts

Back