Marshalls apple, pear and plum trees

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
sorry to be such an RJ critic but I can't hold back.

This item looks amazing value and he describes how easy they are to grow and what bumper crops you'll get once they've established themselves.

What he doesn't tell you is that the apple and pear (no idea about the plum) are not completely self-pollinating, so for the bumper crop they would need pollinating by bees carrying pollen from other apple/pear trees. Not everyone has other strains of trees close enough to their garden to "guarantee" cross pollination.

Also for the fruit to grow to a decent size they need to be thinned out - you can get 6 or more tiny fruits from each group of flowerheads but realistically there's only enough room and nutrition for 2 fruit to grow to full size - the other 4 should be nipped off when tiny.

I'm surprised & disappointed that RJ doesn't know this, at the least I would expect him to do the basic research before he goes on air.

Linda xxx

The plum is self fertile if that helps anyone.

You're right though that to get bumper crops on the apple and pear you really need cross pollination which you may or may not get because you need to be near the right varieties and not just any old apple or pear.

He should also be telling us what the root stock is. I haven't seen the presentation so he may be doing so but it's not on the website.

If you've got the right conditions though those trees could do well and they're a good price. I might be tempted if I had any more room for fruit trees but with three apples, a pear and a plum my fruit tree patch is full.

Sorry to be an RJ critic as well but i suspect RJ does know about needing the bee pollination but he is selling so as long as he gets them sold that's what it's all about,but's its this nonsense from JB about this being the best plant food in the world etc that i find nauseating.

Latest posts

Back