OMG! Awful Jason Vale and Jill Franks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can't keep up with the juicing/ smoothy fad one minute it's good for you then some dietitian tells you that the second you blitz fruit and veg it releases bad sugars and vitamins are lost

From a nutritional point of view, juicing and blitzing stuff in blenders is not a good idea. It changes the nature of the food entirely - it's not that the sugars released are 'bad' - they're the same as the ones in the whole fruit. The problem is that the sugars are contained within the cells of the whole fruit and take time to digest, which is a good thing in terms of blood sugar levels. Same goes for the fibre in the whole fruit. When you blitz you release all that sugar into one big sugary drink. Juicing is even worse because there isn't even the fibre.

Vale is a charlatan who's made a lot of money from jumping on a bandwagon. He'll move on to snake oil soon. I think the aggressive machismo is to hide the lack of basic scientific training and clinical evidence in his barely-concealed health claims.

I had no idea who this man was until this forum enlightened me. Saw him on QVC, one of these "this is great because I say it is blah blah". OK he's eye candy and selling his health kicks. Try getting Wayne Rooney to sell this and see how it goes he he he he. In clearance methinks.

CC

I had no idea who this man was until this forum enlightened me. Saw him on QVC, one of these "this is great because I say it is blah blah". OK he's eye candy and selling his health kicks. Try getting Wayne Rooney to sell this and see how it goes he he he he. In clearance methinks.

CC

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and I have to disagree about JV being eye candy. I would rank him about level with Wayne Rooney in the looks department, and far lower in the appeal department with his presenting style.

He is most definitely NOT eye candy, and his annoyance factor is off the scale.

Just eat fruit and veg normally for goodness sake......literally.

Don't know who Jason Vale is or what he looks like but I did see JF doing Gatineau today and some of the sniffing and her face contortions where dreadful, at one point you would have thought the product in front of her contained manure. I turned the TV off.

Don't know who Jason Vale is or what he looks like but I did see JF doing Gatineau today and some of the sniffing and her face contortions where dreadful, at one point you would have thought the product in front of her contained manure. I turned the TV off.

I think she went to drama school as a youngster... I am guessing she didn't do well in the classes for acting with just your facial expressions!

I think she went to drama school as a youngster... I am guessing she didn't do well in the classes for acting with just your facial expressions!

I'm not a Jill fan and I know I poke fun at some of her funny ways but she's not as bad as some (AY, DF, RJ, AD) . I think she's just doing what she thinks she has to do for her job. I do find the whole "me me me" thing a bit sad, really. What is the real her? I rather suspect she is quite vulnerable as she has to big herself up all the time with all her puffery. If she toned down he whole "me me me, I I I " act and just listened to people and spoke about them she might be more bearable. If anything her behaviour betrays a touch of desperation. She must have all sorts of pressures on her - pressure to sell, pressure to look good, pressure to do this and that. Still, she is an annoying cow!

Well you are extremely lucky not to have come across this odious, egotistical little creep of a man! You have missed absolutely nothing!

I work in a discount book store, we stock Jason Vale books, they started at £2.99 and didn't sell, they were reduced to £1.50 and they didn't sell, they went in the January sale at 50p each and they didn't sell so they went into the buy one get one free promotion and we couldn't even give the damn things away!
Maybe I should send the lot to Jill Franks :)

Norman Wisdom had a cult following in Albania, apparently......so there's an idea!

(QUOTE=katym;842422]Jason Vale looks like Norman Wisdom.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a JF fan, but in the poor woman's defence I have to point out that the sniffing and contortions were because she's got a streaming cold and she was trying to stop her nose running. She was continually dabbing her nose with a tissue - she was trying to do it surreptitiously but the camera kept catching her - and every time the camera was on Andrew or Michaela you could hear her blowing it.

I'm at a loss at what to believe about Nutri Blenders and Juicers. And it's because of channels like QVC.

On one hand we are told the Nutri Blenders (like the Ninja range) are fabulous because you get the fibre that you don't get from juicing but then that rather bullish, very orange, incredibly dislikable, Joe Swash clone with the Juicer said you get 'soluble fibre' which is a term I'd never heard before.

I'm none the wiser but I note that the appalling Jill Franks almost screamed 'look at how much juice you get' which is the polar opposite to whichever QVC goon says when selling a Ninja, they say something like 'you get so much more than when you use a juicer'.

So I think I'll stick to eating oranges and apples and using a Not Nutri Blender to make drinks because Swash and Flanks don't look so well on juice, not to my eye. :mysmilie_59:

Soluble fibre is a type of dietary fibre...

A quote from the article I've linked to on the British Nutrition Foundation website...
Dietary fibre

What is dietary fibre?

There are many different types of fibre, but there are two main groups, soluble and insoluble. Each group helps your body in different ways so it is important to include both in your diet.

Soluble fibre (also known as fermentable fibre) is found in:

• grains such as oats, barley and rye;
  • fruits like bananas and apples;
  • beans and pulses, like baked beans and chick peas;
  • root vegetables like carrots and potatoes.

Soluble fibre dissolves in water and forms a gel in the gut. It helps to keep stools soft, making them easier to pass, which may help prevent or treat constipation.

Insoluble fibre (also known as partially fermentable fibre) is found in:

• cereal foods like high fibre breakfast cereals;
  • wholemeal breads and pasta, brown rice and other wholegrains;
  • vegetables, potatoes with skins;
  • nuts, and seeds.

But yeah, basically, if you are eating your fruit and veg, you should get some of both sorts of dietary fibre...

He is most definitely NOT eye candy, and his annoyance factor is off the scale.

Just eat fruit and veg normally for goodness sake......literally.

Eye candy, you're having a laugh, annoying yes! I read somewhere that most free veg have lots of chlorine & should be eaten in small amounts! :mysmilie_7:

Eye candy, you're having a laugh, annoying yes! I read somewhere that most free veg have lots of chlorine & should be eaten in small amounts! :mysmilie_7:

Well I didn't mean that I thought he was eye candy of course lol. I just thought he might appeal to the young, trendy juice people out there - that's why I said it. However, I have seen worse . . . . .

CC