Pre decimal coin set.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

radio_dayz

Registered Shopper
Hi folks, first post here.
Having nothing to do yesterday afternoon, I tuned in to bid. On air was good old Peter Simon. He was selling diamond jubilee goodies. Why not, a good little earner at the moment. After selling the most beautiful item he'd ever sold on Bid, (his words not mine) a diamond jubilee chess set, followed by a matching chess board for an extra £68, he moved on to a pre decimal coin set. This set comprised of 9 coins, ranging from a farthing to a half crown and was said to be coins from 1952. I thought that they will be probably be asking around £30 for a set of coins with a face value of 6 shillings 4 pennies and 3 farthings. That's about 32p in today's money.

This set of coins was presented in a presentation tray with the names of the coins printed beneath each one. I presume that the tray was supplied with the coins, but after seeing the chess set sold without a board, I'm not quite sure. First thing to be noticed about these coins, is that each one of them was of a silver colour with gold coloured highlights. Wait a minute, I remember these coins when they were in circulation, I don't recall any of them being two tone! Pennies, ha'pennies and farthings were made of copper and the three penny bit was a brass colour. All coins were displayed showing the tail side, so I presume that the head side had also received this silver and gold embellishment, but why would any of them be two tone at all??? And didn't that shilling piece have a date of 1947 on the back of it? Very odd!

If any of these coins ever had any value at all, apart from the face value of course, then having them changed from their original condition, would render them valueless to any collector. I feel sorry for anyone who bought these coins as an investment. My advise to them is to send them back as soon as possible. And the cost of these coins? A whopping £257 plus £7.99!!! :mysmilie_466: This has to be one of the biggest rip offs I've ever seen on any sit-up channel. There used to be bargains to be had on these channels, but no longer I'm afraid.

By the way Mr Simon. While you were going on and on about the old coins and how you miss them, you stated that you bought your first pint of beer for one penny. How old are you, about 200? I think I'm a little older than you and the first pint of beer I bought cost me 20 times that! One shilling and eight pence.

I saw those coins last night and thought what a bliddy shame they'd messed about and fancied them up with the gold and silver.

They all looked the same, although differing sizes of course. I could barely make out the wonderful thruppenny bit :angry: That coin was in a league of it's own at the time 'not only' for the shape, 'not only' for the colour........oops it's catching :smirk:

I think they had 25 in the lot last night and they all sold. Good grief!

Yes I saw the coins last night and yes my jaw dropped when I saw the price they were selling for. Didn't see the end of the sale but it was obvious that they had found all the buyers they wanted for them at the time, but if they can find buyers for worry angels then they can ultimately find buyers for anything. Perhaps also of interest is that the set of coins had been issued by the same company that supplies the Stephen Gayford artworks.

Whilst there are clueless people around with money in their pockets I can never envisage these channels going bust, more's the pity.

I saw those coins last night and thought what a bliddy shame they'd messed about and fancied them up with the gold and silver.

They all looked the same, although differing sizes of course. I could barely make out the wonderful thruppenny bit :angry: That coin was in a league of it's own at the time 'not only' for the shape, 'not only' for the colour........oops it's catching :smirk:

I think they had 25 in the lot last night and they all sold. Good grief!

I looked on eBay and you can buy sets of pre decimal coins that haven't been tarted up for under £30. That is a far better idea, but still far too much money.

Is it me or is the Chess Set absolutely hideous? I couldv'e painted them better! :giggle:

According to James Russell, each piece takes one day to paint!:mysmilie_483: I agree with you, I thing the paint work is as rouugh as a bear's arse! I don't think that coleport has too much to worry about.

Latest posts

Back