Sara Griffiths with Richard Jackson

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
She was on earlier in the QVC garden with the little rasping gnome touting his, yawn, Flower Power. Cue the usual enlarged photos of strawberries the size of footballs, peppers on steroids and azaleas, clematis and chrysanthemums of elephantine proportions. It was funny how the camera kept cutting away from Griffiths as her body language and facial expressions betrayed an air of abject boredom. Can't say I blame her, though. Everyone else has a day off and she has to be flogging overpriced tubs of phosphrous - one of the more abundant minerals on the planet. Perhaps the boredom was what befuddled her brain to such an extent she could not even do basic maths. The on-air duo were touting the 1.6kg tub, currently on offer for £22.98 down from the normal QVC price of £25.50. Griffiths repeatedly stated that the product had "£10 off" and "almost £10 off." NO IT DOESN'T, SARA! It has £2.52 off!!! Now the larger tub is down to £33.96 from £40, but even that isn't £10 off or "almost" £10 off," it's 6 quid off + a bit of change - therefore I fail to understand Griffiths's calculations.

"Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" said Jackson, the bowl of water taking on the jaundiced hue of piss as he heaped in a scoopful of granules, "this contains a wetting agent," he said. What'll that be, Richard? Water? Ever heard of mulching? That keeps moisture in the soil, doesn't it? Why all these chemicals? Griffiths struggled to get a word in edgeways as Jackson aggressively ran through the photos again. When it got to the colanderfuls of blackberries SG exclaimed that Flower Power improves the flavour. RJ just blatantly ignored her so she repeated herself. He briefly echoed what she said and seemed intent on moving on from that point.

I don't know about other people on this forum but I personally can't stand those oversized strawberries one sees usually in Asda. They just look totally unnatural. I grew up with a "kolektyvinis sodas" - the approximate equivalent of an allotment, and know exactly what home grown produce should look like - and it isn't like those pics RJ showed.

Last edited:
Sara Griffiths really annoyed me this morning first of all they were all talking over one and other the gnome doing his best not to let anyone get a word in then she was on about some plants i cant believe what you get for £10 pounds she said eh no Sara it was £10-80odd plus p@p about £15 in total it really gets on my you know what rant over :mysmilie_1:

Arghhhh, did anyone see the gnome's montage this morning, babbling on about being a young boy and developing his love of gardening? Then with his cheeky boyish smile, he went onto how he'd worked in garden centres, whilst the camera zoomed in and out to catch his sincere expression. Then it went onto qvc and his love grew more, and naturally he took a quick opportunity to plug his own brand, then the qvc audience got dragged into this sickly sentimental rubbish... It was just awful... Bleughh....

Arghhhh, did anyone see the gnome's montage this morning, babbling on about being a young boy and developing his love of gardening? Then with his cheeky boyish smile, he went onto how he'd worked in garden centres, whilst the camera zoomed in and out to catch his sincere expression. Then it went onto qvc and his love grew more, and naturally he took a quick opportunity to plug his own brand, then the qvc audience got dragged into this sickly sentimental rubbish... It was just awful... Bleughh....

Oh gosh! Must have missed that bit - thank goodness! Sounds awful.

I don't think you've escaped, it looked like it was going to be a regular little piece they have on to promote his show, you'll love it!!!

I don't think you've escaped, it looked like it was going to be a regular little piece they have on to promote his show, you'll love it!!!

You can almost imagine the director:

DIRECTOR:Going next for Take 43. Richard, ideally we'd like to see a flicker of sincerity chase across your face as you deliver that line. Do that roaring thing as well - and try and sound a little... wistful?

RJ: Raaaaaaaaaaaaah! You bet I can! See I'm doing it now. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

DIRECTOR: Get this right and we've got it made. Marketing have calculated that if we include this clip we'll flog another 100,000 tubs.

RJ: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! 100,000 tubs. And don't forget to mention the £100 grand to charity.

DIRECTOR: No we're not doing that anymore - that was so last week! Profits from this one go to us, baby!

RJ: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! (Smiles)

DIRECTOR: Now THAT'S the smile we're looking for on the VT! Do you think you can do that again?

RJ: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! (Smiles)

DIRECTOR: No, not like that. Do it like you did a minute ago.

(Enter Will Gowing)

WG: Hey you sexy people! I've brought you all some Starbucks coffees and some Fondant Fancies. Must dash, gotta buff up my skin area! Am on with Ali in like 15! Catch you laters!

DIRECTOR: Right...let's try for take 44...

I've noticed that the gnome always gets more animated and more excited when he's peddling his own over-hyped and over-priced stuff.
Does anybody know what hold he has over QVC?

I've noticed that the gnome always gets more animated and more excited when he's peddling his own over-hyped and over-priced stuff.
Does anybody know what hold he has over QVC?

I would imagine the margins are better on his own products. He's a fairly established presenter. I remember him presenting a program called: "That's Gardening" on TVS when I was a kid in the late 80s / early 90s. Bizarrely I can still recall the theme tunes - one was brash, the other was quaintly dainty and full of instrumental flourishes with an oboe section in the middle. (Sounded more like the Antiques Roadshow - but I really liked it!) RJ has always been to Geoff Hamilton what Robert Palmer was to Bryan Ferry. He probably just happened to be in the right place at the right time and somehow managed to establish himself as a "celebrity" "expert." He's one of a whole raft of people I've never liked, including Dr Chris Steele - he of "This Morning" fame.

OMG! OMG! OMG! I've FOUND the dainty "That's Gardening theme tune. It starts at 5:42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7uFylgvkQ4

Last edited:
Every time I flick onto a gardening show (which is brief & not very often) they are talking about 'Flower Power'.I can't see why people order this when there are other products (which some of you say are better) widely available.

its oversell some people swear that its worth £35 a tub. but if your plants are beautiful quality they will flourish

Latest posts

Back