Skin Coloured nora batty tights..can it truly be a good look?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was a 60's teenager, all Mary Quant frocks and Dusty Springfield eyes. So like Minim I was initiated to grown up underwear via the Rosebud suspender belt and matching bra (from Woolys I think).

Thinking back, we NEVER went without tights even for summer evenings discoing! and only went bare legged wearing shorts to the beach. I know whatever decade we had our youth in we all think fondly back to those times, but I did love being a 'mod' and the whole 60's fashion era, (although the guys were a bit 'iffy'), at least we didn't look like hookers and finish up in the kerb drunk, like these days.

We called it Corned Beef legs too.

Started off my senior school wearing three quarter socks but by the second year we were allowed to wear stockings and yes it was the Winfield rosebud bra and suspender belt worn with them.

Tights came in with a bang a bit later. Some were matt and stretchy, some were shiny and fine but get caught with a ladder and you had the needlework mistress to face who kept a close eye on the way we presented ourselves.

If my legs are on show I cover them up and always have done unless near the beach. It may be an age thing but some women have horrible legs and just don't realise it. Tights actually disguise a lot of markings if only people realised it.

For the first time. teenagers did not shop in the same shops as mother & look like mini mother!
Mary Quant style dresses, Farmer Giles smocks, Paisley suits, bold Black & white (there was a free geometric B&W ring free with Jackie magazine), back combed hair then geometric hair cuts, mini skirts hence the need for tights. Shoulder bags also became the rage.
Mods wore suede, Rockers leather.
Hot pants!
Topless dresses were not a hit though.

Last edited:
Shoulder bags! Now there's a thing Minim. A shoulder bag to me is a bag with a long strap worn over the shoulder (not across the body but you could do if you really wanted to).

These days, a shoulder bag is an ordinary "hand bag" but worn in such a way that it just nestles under the armpit.

Why do people have to change the meanings of things?

And why can['t we have standard sizing all over the world?

A size 14 used to mean you had a 36-24-36 figure. Not any more.

I'm afraid I too live in trousers nowadays. I don't mind opaque tights in winter but really don't like my legs enough to expose them. Might frighten the horses. Always hated tan tights when I was at school. I used to boil them to make them paler if I didn't have any others available. Used to like M&S Bisque!

there are quite a lot of nicer skin coloured tights available now some are quite pricey its all about preferance

For the first time. teenagers did not shop in the same shops as mother & look like mini mother!
Mary Quant style dresses, Farmer Giles smocks, Paisley suits, bold Black & white (there was a free geometric B&W ring free with Jackie magazine), back combed hair then geometric hair cuts, mini skirts hence the need for tights. Shoulder bags also became the rage.
Mods wore suede, Rockers leather.
Hot pants!
Topless dresses were not a hit though.

Topless dresses hehehehe!!! I remember there was a shop model wearing one in the window of "Chic Fashions" and we used to alter our route just to walk past and have a sneaky look. Thirteen year olds were so innocent back then:)

Needless to say, the topless dress did not catch on.

in 1964, Rudi Gernreich hit the fashion headlines with his infamous 'topless swimsuit'.... The topless swimsuit soon led to the topless dress, and also gave birth to another revolution, the 'no-bra bra' which effected quite a change to the fit of clothes and was somewhat more acceptable in public.
http://www.sixtiescity.com/Fashion/Fashion.shtm

I was forever grateful for the invention of tights - I remember wearing suspender belt and stockings to work (plus other clothes) and if the button thing fell off which secured the tights we resorted to using coins to keep the stockings up! I remember the mods/rockers era, was a mod but secretly lusted after the boys on the big bikes. Went to Southend quite a lot on Bank Holidays and got roaring drunk. My friend still has a recording of us both singing "Delilah" whilst under the influence - there were recording booths you could use about the size of a telephone box.

Im in my late 30's and to me its acceptable to wear opaques with sandals/peeptoes but never nude tights. Nude tights are only acceptable with a sheen and very fine denier and not tan or any other colour iwth closed toe shoes. Very fine black is a no no under any circumstances and never got the fasion for wearing tights and shorts!

I was forever grateful for the invention of tights - I remember wearing suspender belt and stockings to work (plus other clothes) and if the button thing fell off which secured the tights we resorted to using coins to keep the stockings up! I remember the mods/rockers era, was a mod but secretly lusted after the boys on the big bikes. Went to Southend quite a lot on Bank Holidays and got roaring drunk. My friend still has a recording of us both singing "Delilah" whilst under the influence - there were recording booths you could use about the size of a telephone box.

Ooh! Lilo Lil, you little Tinker! Lol.

Thinking back, the Rockers tried to look like Elvis, all greased back quiffy hair & attitude, the Mods .... maybe Cliff?

Ive been wearing Wolford tights and holdups for yrs as they last ages before needing the bin.
I still wear whatkatiedid seams since my first pair in the 70's from a vintage collection of my mums.Wear Girdles and corseletes alot with pinup parade/viviene of holloway dresses.

Latest posts

Back