Steam cleaners - worth buying?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

London

Registered Shopper
WARNING... this about cleaning...:mysmilie_490:

Wondered if anyone on here has used/bought the Shark 1550w portable steam cleaner from qvc?

I'm just about ready to do a massive spring clean and have been thinking about getting one of these up for ages. Are they worth the money and are they easy to use.

The reviews seem to be good and it has been given 4 stars, but just before I splash out... :mysmilie_508:

I honestly wouldn't consider buying a non pressurized steam cleaner London. They just dribble too small an amount of steam to clean anything efficiently. You might as well boil up your kettle and walk around with a damp cloth. I have one of the Polti steam cleaners bought years ago. It has a 4 bar pressure and is very efficient albeit a heavy, cumbersome machine. There are many pressurized lightweight steam cleaners on the market now for less than the cost of this Shark model on QVC. Be warned though, after using mine for about 30 minutes I look as if I've just come out of a sauna with a face like a beef tomato!!

I cant comment directly about the shark but I would agree you need a pressurised one. I have a bright yellow electrolux one that I have had for years and its great its not handheld but has a really long hose and I use it all the time it not only cleans everything really well and quickly but the whole house smells cleaner if you know what I mean afterwards.

I have been very tempted by the smaller ones but dont see how they can be as good as my yellow monster, the only drawbacks to mine are it does take up a bit of space under the stairs and the cat hates it even more than he hates the vaccum cleaner!!

Another vote for Polti, we bought ours from QVC when they used to sell them and it's still going strong; Polti's customer service is excellent, you can pay a flat fee if your machine needs a repair which covers all parts and labour. The iron attachment is blummmin efficient too.

That said I also have the H2O Ultra mop (also from qvc) which is easier to use daily on the kitchen floor (we have a house bunny) and it has a detachable hand-held steamer which is handy.

Jude xx

Hi Mam and Delh.

Thanks so much for this info. Didn't actually realise there was a pressurised one as opposed to non pressurised:confused: I'm going to have to do some more research. Also, because I have problems with my wrists I might have to look at getting a larger one which doesn't need using and holding at the same time. :happy::flower::happy:

and thanks Akimbo, I check the polti one out.

Last edited:
I agree totally. Don't even contemplate getting a non-pressurised one. They're useless. Sent mine back.

Latest posts

Back