The best of the web in 2012 ... apparently

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

WildRose

Registered Shopper
Had some money for Christmas and my birthday :)cake: today, yeah, another year older :dull:) and have had not much success looking at the clearance section, but thought I have a look at the best of online jewellery 2012 and found this:
http://www.qvcuk.com/1.8ct-AAA-Tanz...Solitaire-Ring-18ct-White.product.601240.html
a total steal at £1 374.25, previous price of £1 979.00

it must have been bought by the tens of thousand

how do they make that selection of the "best online jewellery"???

Do you think its too over the top to wear when cleaning ones toilet?:thinking:

I guess people do pay that for it, depends on the stone I guess as I read a few reviews from people saying their tanz rings from Q have been valued higher than the purchase price. Seems a lot of money to me tho!

Seems a lot to me too, and they've still got the ****** bare-faced cheek to stick another £5.95 on for P & P!

But as it's your Xmas & birthday combined WildRose, and if you've got some rubber gloves to pop on so you don't drop it down the loo, I'd go for it..!!

Happy Birthday to you etc etc etc! :song:

Tanzanite isn`t as hard as diamonds, sapphires and rubies so it isn`t a stone you can wear all the time, as an engagement ring for example. If you had a tanzanite ring then its advisable to wear it when you need to and then put it away til the next time you want to wear it, not to wear it continuously. It`s a lovely stone if you get good quality but they constantly plug it as being rarer than diamonds. Large top grade tanzanite stones maybe but you only need to look at Gems Tv and other places to see there`s lots of poor grade smaller stones on the market but they still hype it up. I`ve never seen any tanzanite from Q close up so I wouldn`t know if its as good as they grade it. Grading seems to vary from store front to store front which I feel can be misleading. One site might grade a stone AAA, another might grade it AAAA or only AA.

They had some AAA Tanzanite on the other day but it looked rather pale to me as does the one in the link. Just looked at others on the web, at reduced prices, and none of them look so good....maybe it's the camera work.....or not? :thinking:

Anyway Tanzanite and (bog) water are not a match made in heaven, it ain't so robust!
toilet.gif

Tanzanite isn`t as hard as diamonds, sapphires and rubies so it isn`t a stone you can wear all the time, as an engagement ring for example. If you had a tanzanite ring then its advisable to wear it when you need to and then put it away til the next time you want to wear it, not to wear it continuously. It`s a lovely stone if you get good quality but they constantly plug it as being rarer than diamonds. Large top grade tanzanite stones maybe but you only need to look at Gems Tv and other places to see there`s lots of poor grade smaller stones on the market but they still hype it up. I`ve never seen any tanzanite from Q close up so I wouldn`t know if its as good as they grade it. Grading seems to vary from store front to store front which I feel can be misleading. One site might grade a stone AAA, another might grade it AAAA or only AA.

Very true, there's certainly a heck of a lot of it about for such rarity eh lol! I read the USA Gems Institute's take on Tanzanite prior to buying mine. They said that because the stone was quite cheap when first discovered as it's not very hard, (about the same as quartz, eg Amethyst), the grading may not be as precise as the buyer is led to believe as it's down to the jewellers assumption on colour & clarity. I think Q would be the most reputable for this so if considering buying from a shopping channel I'd be confident they got the grading correct & you can always have a valuation done within 30 days.
They went on to say that the so called AAAA tanzantie they've seen from shopping channels is in fact closer to AA and some even single A! They're trying to get the grading regulated but it's practically impossible now as it's so widespread. One thing they did say is that good large pieces of 4 cts or more could increase considerably in the next several years as these are getting more rare & will be priced on rarity not just traded ct weight.

I bought mine from a shop on New York that sells on Ebay. Everything was itemised including the inclusion and colour grade of the diamond accents as well as the ct weight breakdown. I paid about £800, just been valued at £3,000 on 1st view via close up pictures. (There's a site called valuemystuff.com where a Christie's valuer will give you an estimate based on pics for a few quid, not much at all). They said if I had a physical appraisal of the ring it could be higher as they can't vouch 100% for clarity, gem weight etc. I was realy delighted! It's perfectly hard enough for everyday careful wear. I do take it off when using my hands for housework etc. Also NEVER put one in a sonic cleaner apparently as that can ruin the stone. Hope that helps x. Oh yes, the shop bought mine from on Ebay also has a returns no quibble policy. Just remember that a purchase from outside the EU is subject to tax & handling charges but with the USA economy the prices can still be very keen! If you send something back you can reclaim the tax paid apparently, as I called HMRC advice line to find out prior to my purchase.

Latest posts

Back