YouBamboo

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TheManWithNoName

Registered Shopper
Steve Bennett was on this morning flogging his YouBamboo range for the first time in ages.

Did anyone see the prices? They've SHOT up since they last appeared on-air around two years ago.

Bamboo bedding for a double bed - £150
Bamboo bedding for a king size bed - £100
Bamboo bedding for a single bed - £70

They used to be a fraction of that price.

And why on earth would anyone want to buy bamboo leggings or a hoodie with huge 'YOU' branding over it?

Imagine rocking up to your local gym in leggings with 'YOU' up the length of one leg. Ridiculous.

3 pairs of Bamboo socks for £20. I made the mistake of buying some a few years ago for a tenner. They were so thin, after just two wears, the toes and heels broke through. I'm not sure if that's the nature of bamboo clothing in general - or whether these socks were just s**t quality?

Steve Bennett was on this morning flogging his YouBamboo range for the first time in ages.

Did anyone see the prices? They've SHOT up since they last appeared on-air around two years ago.

And why on earth would anyone want to buy bamboo leggings or a hoodie with huge 'YOU' branding over it?

Imagine rocking up to your local gym in leggings with 'YOU' up the length of one leg. Ridiculous.

3 pairs of Bamboo socks for £20. I made the mistake of buying some a few years ago for a tenner. They were so thin, after just two wears, the toes and heels broke through. I'm not sure if that's the nature of bamboo clothing in general - or whether these socks were just s**t quality?
Oh, I'm glad that my experience is not unique.

Using bamboo has everything going for it, as far as the green agenda is concerned, but I was disappointed. I bought some YouBamboo socks a few years ago too to try them out & see if the hype was up to much.

Very comfy for sure (although the "comfiness" of socks isn't something that I lose sleep over!) but, as you say, quite thin. Not exactly sheer but unusually lightweight for a man's sock. They just didn't last. Really not up to the job. Not abused (shock horror - I don't change my socks every day) or washed at a boil etc but they just gave up the ghost in pretty short order. Friends of mine had the same experience with a completely unrelated brand.

So back to the Aldi cotton 5 Pack Special Buy for me.

Oh, I'm glad that my experience is not unique.

Using bamboo has everything going for it, as far as the green agenda is concerned, but I was disappointed. I bought some YouBamboo socks a few years ago too to try them out & see if the hype was up to much.

Very comfy for sure (although the "comfiness" of socks isn't something that I lose sleep over!) but, as you say, quite thin. Not exactly sheer but unusually lightweight for a man's sock. They just didn't last. Really not up to the job. Not abused (shock horror - I don't change my socks every day) or washed at a boil etc but they just gave up the ghost in pretty short order. Friends of mine had the same experience with a completely unrelated brand.

So back to the Aldi cotton 5 Pack Special Buy for me.
For decent socks, you can't beat Tesco's workwear socks. Really thick. Really comfortable with a padded heel.

Something like £15 for 5 pairs. Best socks I've ever owned. Comfortable and NEVER wear thin.

All bamboo socks and tights go thin quickly. I buy no end of pairs from the Sock Shop for my children who moan about seams. The bamboo ones are lovely and soft, but we have a very high turnover! They are about £1.99 a pair, but often do deals. I'd never spend a lot as they go thin and develop holes

So glad I saw these posts regarding the socks as I was about to make my first purchase from gems in a very long time needless to say that won't be happening now. I have looked in on gems a couple of times over the last few days all I saw was Primal at 2 hours shows, I believe they have been On a couple of times during the day. Of course there was Dave Froth with gems from Steve's fault and of course paying yesterday's prices! Then Toby with Cavill & Co with the 18k jewellery and finally Lynn preaching the virtues of amazonite and what the benefits for your peace of mind. I really have no idea what is going on. If they are not selling over priced tat then it's expensive rings to socks!!!

When Destello was still in full swing, I remember Hattie saying she was going to take it over. She was going to remake the vests so they were suitable for Pilates, exercise etc. Hmm well we know what happened there. I’ve saved sooo much money this year on 1) not buying and 2) return postage!

I have to say, I do really rate the bedding. We use YouBamboo in the spring/summer/autumn, and Cozee Home from QVC for the colder parts of the year (their Velvetsoft sets are just delicious to get into when it's cold -- no sheet shock, nice and toasty). If those are now the prices for the bedding, they don't seem that competitive with other brands.

I have to say, I do really rate the bedding. We use YouBamboo in the spring/summer/autumn, and Cozee Home from QVC for the colder parts of the year (their Velvetsoft sets are just delicious to get into when it's cold -- no sheet shock, nice and toasty). If those are now the prices for the bedding, they don't seem that competitive with other brands.

The YouBamboo bedding is fine (with the exception of the pillow cases - which continually slide around the pillow because they're too smooth / 'silky' and shiny).

The pricing is WAY over the top though (as are a lot of Gemporia products these days).

I've just checked the bedding prices when they first came to air, the Super Kingsize set cost me £59.99, and the pillow sets were £9.99. I bought all three original colours; they are fantastic to sleep in and wash very well. So they've now increased the price by £90 in two years! Considering that bamboo grows extremely quickly and is, therefore, plentiful, I don't believe that the increase is due to the costs of production alone.

The socks came in two types, ones with the green Primal logo, others were branded YOU. The YOU branded ones are completely rubbish, toes pushing through the fabric, holes in the heels- but the green logo'd ones are still going strong. I also bought the T-shirts and the roll neck tops, these have been great but are now looking a bit faded - I do wear these when wfh as they are still presentable on screen. However, I would feel silly wearing a top with the new YOU design and will probably get giggles and comments! What was wrong with the small, discreet green primal logo?

The socks came in two types, ones with the green Primal logo, others were branded YOU. The YOU branded ones are completely rubbish, toes pushing through the fabric, holes in the heels- but the green logo'd ones are still going strong.
Ah. Checked too. Mine were the YouBamboo variety. I think that the wear just happened walking around!

So 'Primal' must be failing, when you see Steve back with the Bamboo bedding! What next will he turn his hand to? He should have quit while he was ahead.

You Bamboo has just been on again - and I can't believe they're still trying to flog the bedding for the same price as last time (£150 for double bed set!)

Surely people aren't paying those prices?

He did a gents Bamboo zip up sports jacket which, to be fair, looked fairly nice from what I could see. £40 though?

Two pairs of horrible looking mens boxer shorts for £15. They looked really cheap and tacky, with a shiny metallic sheen to them with big "You" (front) and "Bamboo" (back) plastered on the elastic waist.

Why do they insist on slapping "You" or "You Bamboo" branding over everything - especially the big "YOU!" along the entire length of the leg on the women's leggings.

Steve and his sidekicks are obviously very clever business men - they've made their millions from numerous successful companies over the years, BUT branding / marketing is definitely their weak point. Whoever thought that product branding such as 'Noggin', "Drink Me Gorgeous" and "You!" was a good idea should be given their P45 immediately.

Two pairs of horrible looking mens boxer shorts for £15. They looked really cheap and tacky, with a shiny metallic sheen to them with big "You" (front) and "Bamboo" (back) plastered on the elastic waist.
Saw those after the event, not on screen. Was curious but decided my recent purchase of a cotton 5 pack from Aldi was better. (Strange it might be for some but men are as fussy about their underwear as women can be. All about the fit and feel. Personally, more than 10 rhinestone studs is a bit too bling for me 😀)

I love bamboo bedding and have been buying it for quite some time. Recently tried the one on TJC and it’s brilliant quality and 100% bamboo so not a blend! Only paid £40 which included a fitted sheet too! It’s on offer at present for £24.99 so just brought my third set!

Latest posts

Back