TomTom sat nav

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Suey

Registered Shopper
I'm totally useless when it comes to things like sat navs. I want to buy one as a present, and the TomTom sat nav currently in stock on qvc has some really good reviews, and I have heard Anthony Heywood recommend TomTom for ease of use.

Does anyone have any advice about these? (good and bad advice all welcome!).

Is there any way we can find out if something is going to be on easy pay? I've tried asking CS but they won't tell.

Thanks as always !

I'm totally useless when it comes to things like sat navs. I want to buy one as a present, and the TomTom sat nav currently in stock on qvc has some really good reviews, and I have heard Anthony Heywood recommend TomTom for ease of use.

Does anyone have any advice about these? (good and bad advice all welcome!).

Is there any way we can find out if something is going to be on easy pay? I've tried asking CS but they won't tell.

Thanks as always !

Hi!!
OH has a Tom-Tom and finds it easy to use, he is not techy minded at all, even asks me how to use his mobile!!
As for easy pay afraid I can't help with that.

Hubby has got a Tom Tom and swears by it rather than at it most of the time. One thing to be aware of is that you may have to pay for map upgrades depending on what model you buy. We have noticed that sometimes the route chosen by Sat Nav is sometimes a bit erratic (as an experiment we have put in our home and a destination point we know well in South Leeds and its taken us all round the houses. If you are completely ignorant of an area, having a Tom Tom is good, as having a rough idea of where you are going, rather than trying to follow a map on your lap is not terribly safe. Also taking the Tom Tom out of the car to walk round a new area to you is marvelous.

A word of warning to everyone who has a Sat Nav, regardless of the make - thieves will break in if you leave the cradle stuck on the windscreen (or if there is a sucker mark still visible, in the off chance the Tom Tom may still be in the glovebox.

I have one and love it, I previously had a Navman which I found very difficult to use, the Tom Tom is so easy, just tap in the postcode or city etc and you're off. Also it's very easy to use when you are driving if you need to hit avoid or something like that.

I am not techno-friendly in anyway and this is perfect for me.

The main good points are that the TomToms calculate routes quickly and now with the new range (x30) routes are calculated intelligently. For instance, if you plan a route for Monday morning, it will give you different directions than if you were planning for Sunday evening, as it now calculates how busy the roads are as well as maximum speed. There are a range of options, such as avoiding toll roads, motorways or shortest route, etc etc. The voice is clear and with the 530, 730 & 930 you can record your own voice. They feature bluetooth, MP3, iPod Control and a range of other features.

The downsides with it are mainly that extras cost. Extra and updated maps cost (though MapShare is free). Speed camera updates cost as well. Unless you go for a TomTom with a T suffix, you'll have to pay extra for traffic updates.

I'd personally reccomend it over any other sat nav system though.

Thanks everyone, tomtom sounds like the one to go for - will try and hang on for easy pay now!

I have one and love it, I previously had a Navman which I found very difficult to use, the Tom Tom is so easy, just tap in the postcode or city etc and you're off. Also it's very easy to use when you are driving if you need to hit avoid or something like that.

I am not techno-friendly in anyway and this is perfect for me.

Same with me. I had a navman and couldn't get on with it at all. The TomTom is so easy, wish I had bought that one earlier.

Having a satnav gives me the confidence to be more adventurous when driving and it is a definite bonus that I can now actually work it :D

My kids bought OH one a couple of years ago,and he says it's the best present he's ever had.He drives all over the country and finds the Tom Tom indispensible.

Tomtom is brilliant all sat nav's take you a slightly roundabout way look on the net for a better price than QVC.

I had a borrow of one a couple of weeks ago, I loved it. Going to get myself one soon !

My daughter was given a Tomtom by my other daughter for her birthday but it can only be charged in the car. Are there adaptors for charging them in the house?

I bought TomTom on 4 easy pays its only the basic one but its great mine has a thing I connect to comp and that charges it up just plug it in dont turn sat nav on little green light comes on to show its charging

Hubby has got a Tom Tom and swears by it rather than at it most of the time. One thing to be aware of is that you may have to pay for map upgrades depending on what model you buy. We have noticed that sometimes the route chosen by Sat Nav is sometimes a bit erratic (as an experiment we have put in our home and a destination point we know well in South Leeds and its taken us all round the houses. If you are completely ignorant of an area, having a Tom Tom is good, as having a rough idea of where you are going, rather than trying to follow a map on your lap is not terribly safe. Also taking the Tom Tom out of the car to walk round a new area to you is marvelous.

A word of warning to everyone who has a Sat Nav, regardless of the make - thieves will break in if you leave the cradle stuck on the windscreen (or if there is a sucker mark still visible, in the off chance the Tom Tom may still be in the glovebox.

What is the best way to remove the sucker marks from the windscreen? I am about to begin using mine and don't fancy my car being broken into!

Another thumbs up for the tomtom , was in the new forest last week with my mum ( who has no sense of anything let alone direction ) & boys & it was fantasic , never got lost once !!!

xxx

I paid £500 for the very first model of TomTom on the day it came out and it is the best gadget I have ever bought. It looks like something out of the dark ages now - I gave it to my son when he got his own car (and realised he didn't know the way to anywhere!) and bought myself a new one. This has bluetooth and is great for hands-free phoning. My model has a T at the end but I've never been able to make it do anything traffic-wise, so that bit extra was a waste of money imo.

Latest posts

Back