how do you think QVC has changed over the years?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rainbowdottie

Registered Shopper
I've watched qvc since its launch - but probably watched for about 2 years before buying anything.

I used to think qvc was the place that sold things that you couldn't find anywhere else - or be able to get, for example the strangest present,for that someone who had everything.It did affordable maybe useful things - bit like for example JML?

Then I would through a stage of thinking they were quite forward thinking - and seemed to be a place for entrapenaur's (sp) to try things out.They used to sell lots of sets etc..I even bought my hangaway (to store your ironing/wet washing etc) from qvc.Best thing ever - but then it seemed to drop qvc or vice versa? and I last saw a hangaway in debenhams.

I can remember when they first bought a tsv with a silver sweetie bracelet - very forward thinking when we all know now how popular links of london is - and it bombed - so forward thinking,no one even realised it was the next fashion big thing - now if they sold today plus the two charms they did - it would be a sell out!

Forward to today and I feel QVC is like Harrods - nice shop,very expensive - can't afford any of it.It seems to think its very upmarket - and think nothing of charging the prices that they do.It also reminds of an old department store.i don't get into town much these days - but when for instance I go into debenhams its all the same stock - nothing changes.I don't think QVC have very many new and forward thinking products these days.

I don't feel qvc is talking to me or is aimed at me - and yet I'm a very normal member of the community - working mum,mid 30's,married,own house - so why do I feel QVC thinks its above me..................is it because I don't buy my teenagers' teachers £50 bedding - or stock pile make up and shower creams for my girlfriends,MIL and postman? Is it because I can't afford a £100 face cream or spend £70 on a polyester cardigan from a company I've never heard of?

I still watch - its very relaxing (for me).Of course I do buy but the I would have to be honest and say the majority is out of my price range.

Biggest change for me is Julia Roberts.
The height of her hair has got smaller, but her ego has got much bigger!!!:mysmilie_61::mysmilie_697:

In so many respects, the QVC is not true anymore to the values which established its name.
I would not refer to convenience, because everyone's experience is different.
But in terms of quality and value, this is often not the case. To name but a few:
1. The quality of and price tag on gold jewellery;
2. Selling some SS DMQ ranges as high-end jewels; :mysmilie_81:
3. Selling plastic clothes at prices one would pay for silk.

I bought that sweetie style bracelet.:mysmilie_348:

QVC do not seemed to have moved with the times, especially online shopping most consumers now have access too.
They did sell brands it was hard to find back in the day, now you google and loads of other places have it and cheaper or deals on. I am talking of course the beauty products.

I am not sure if it is to do with the worldwide recession but they just don't seem to be venturing out of the the safe playground anymore. If a brand arrives and sells they keep it and push it and push it and push it. With beauty it has to be the most expensive one they can find and then wonder why it just does not sell as well. Well ebay is the answer for that especially the US brands.

They had Smashbox well before stores started to reopen counters(the brand was in my Debenhams long ago and then pulled out), but did they maxism this? NO. Then sites like Justbeautydirect.co.uk came along and had the new collections months before QVC. Prescriptives is another brand, limited counters in the UK did they really try. Again no. Very limited range from the brand. Bobbi Brown they push on us but its no cheaper than a counter plus no shipping with a counter and QVC seem to keep the same stuff from the brand and sell it over and over again.

Emu great coup(sp), but the prices they are charging a joke. Go online and get the Stringers widely available from say Amazon etc for half the price and free shipping.

Then they tell us porkies how this and that is only available from QVC when we know that is not true.

The jewellery is very dated, cluster rings the norm since the day QVC started. Other jewellery channels have come along and sell modern simple designs, on trend with what you seen in the magazines. Yet QVC will a jewellery gemset TSV ring give us the cluster.

I see it now as a department store whereas when it started from year 1 it used to sell a few items and the poor presenters would have to spend ages yammering on about the joys of thigh trimmers and deflatable storage bags - stuff that wasn't then available in the high street :mysmilie_697: So it has definitely got better and has a wider range of products. I also think it is more polished in the way it is presented which I personally prefer (and it's the reason I don't want the other shopping channels).

I do agree that it does need to up its game re getting some new stock (esp clothes!) and better pricing. Whilst it does have overheads that websites don't have to worry about, I am sure that it has enough customers that it could afford to be more competitive with the P&P and it should offer customer loyalty bonuses as well. When QVC started there wasn't the masses of websites that there are now so it had a monopoly, esp when it came to US products but that certainly isn't the case anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of QVC and it's great for someone like me who has nothing in the way of local shops and even with the P&P costs, it's still cheaper for me to buy from QVC than paying for a train ticket but it could do a lot better by its customers.

Interesting thread, thanks for starting it Rainbowdottie. Well I used to watch and mock and then I bought quite a lot of stuff (well actually a LOT of stuff), and was thrilled to be able to try brands like Liz Earle, Smashbox Elemis and pay for them in installments. But for me the novelty has long gone due to a) being able to get some of these ranges cheaper elsewhere, b) nothing new or tempting being on air for what seems ages and ages. c) the p and p which I think are a total rip off. Sometimes you will be paying almost a third of what the actual item costs to have it sent to you and I think it is a rip off. I have not bought anything for quite a while as even when tempted I take a deep breath and add the p and p to the actual item cost and it puts me off. As to how it has changed, well it has fallen into the almost inevitable trap of going on about "celebrities" and what they alledgedly wear and use to try and tempt us into buying and while it amuses me it all a bit tacky. Also the prices are way out of my reach, bedding I get from Dunelm, cleaning stuff from Wilko, clothes from M and S, Asda and Tu at Sainsburys, toilertries and make up from Boots. Love Amazon too. Still watch it tho cos it is soothing after a tough day.

I remember QVC years ago and I agree it is not keeping up with the changes, and they seem to have forgotten or IGNORED that there is still a recession and we can't afford to spend our hard earned cash like water!! They had a diamond ring on the other day which cost over £1100, I could not believe the price even with the easy pay. I think QVC is very much up its own "behind" and to be honest I think some of the presenters are the same, when they keep going on about moving house, but I will not name and shame! I still watch and I do still buy as I have become a Liz Earle fan thanks to QVC.

I used to love the traditional diamonique rings that looked like the real McCoy - you could get them in 18ct as well with simulated coloured stones. The first thing I ever bought was a diamonique ET ring and I've still got it.

Now they seem to do more of the "gold clad" silver and I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a ring where the gold is going to rub off.

Some of the jewellery designs have gotten really odd as well - lots of swirls and stuff - am I losing touch with the latest trends or something:mysmilie_34: 'cos they are deffo not for me.

And don't get me started on the "fashion" :mysmilie_11:do we all want to live our lives in shiny polyester "embellished" with rhinestones :mysmilie_73:, eh? Do we?

I think I need a lie down!

I feel sorry for the plus size TSV models. Whether its the awful Kim & Co, Michelle Hope or Indigo Moon etc etc. they always look as though they have been pushed and squeezed into the garment, then pushed out onto the runway ! Sorry, but those of us that are plus size look on in horror if that is what we can expect to look like. Either leave out the plus size models, or Kim & Co etc have to up their sizing drastically !

Latest posts

Back