Steam Press

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Akimbo

Fluffy
Does anyone have a steam press? There was one aired earlier today; and "super bargain price" one last week (sold out). I do like the feel of pressed sheets but I can't stand for long to iron so it doesn't get done.

Jude xx :mysmilie_687:

I have had 3 now over the past 20 years and wouldn't ever go back to using an iron.

You can sit on the sofa (I have a stand for mine) and watch your favourite tv whilst doing it - and it is no effort at all. Boring - as ironing always is - but no effort.

I would suggest buying from qvc though as I did with my first so you can 'try before you buy'. It is a very different way of ironing and takes some time to get used to it so for the first few times it will take you longer but when you get the hang of it - I now fold my washing as it comes off the line or out of the tumble dryer so that it can go straight from the washing pile onto the press plate so takes so little time now.

I have bought my last 2 from ebay and this is where I got the stand from too. They also quite often have them in the qvc outlet - in fact they did have some there for about £60 when I was in Shrewsbury yesterday.

I've got a Domena press, and like Rosey find it very easy to use. I put mine on the kitchen table and sit to do my ironing whilst watching TV. It's a good idea to do as Rosey suggests and take your clothes out of the dryer and iron straight away. I actually leave my bed linen a little bit damp and then dry them while ironing to make them really crisp.

Thank you BB. The easypays have disappeared now so I won't rush into ordering tonight (unless they pop back up later this evening). Still thinking it might be a good buy for me :mysmilie_687:

J xx

Love my press and like Rosey would never go back to an iron and board. It is a different way of ironing but doesnt take long to get the hang off, I fold all my things out of the dryer or off the line as well and sheets are really quick to do

Shirts are probably the hardest thing to do - but then how many do you do - I probably have 3 or 4 a week from my family - of 4. Most of the time it is jeans, t-shirts and bedding etc - which are all easy.

I can in theory do a load of ironing far quicker using the domena press. In fact I become mildly ocd and take great pleasure in pressing things as near to perfectly as a klutz like yours truly can get them so it takes a while but is enjoyable (if you're a sad specimen like me) whereas board and steam iron were torture.

I hate to iron, but I find a steam press much easier. I always (as I have mentioned before) wear cotton gloves whilst pressing as I had burnt myself so many times just by lifting my hand a little too high when placing the item on the base plate. I am totally clumsy.

Does anyone have a steam press? There was one aired earlier today; and "super bargain price" one last week (sold out). I do like the feel of pressed sheets but I can't stand for long to iron so it doesn't get done.

Jude xx :mysmilie_687:

Yes I have a Pro Steam from QVC I just leave mine on the linen setting and dont use the steam button though do press things that are slightly damp or just use the spray bottle.Did burn my hands when I first used it but dont now, would be better if it had a bit more room at the back for doing your northern nights king size flannel duvet covers but it will do them folded into four does a lovely job.T shirts come out very good as well and keep their shape.

You are lucky going to the outlet in Shrewsbury we go when were over that way on holiday had some real bargains from that one I think its better than the one in Warrington.Might be a tad biased coming from Wellington though!

Is it easy to do shirts ?

Once you get the technique for shirts right they are quite easy, I press the collar, yoke and sleeves first then fold it lengthwise with the sleeves together put the whole thing at the back of the press then iron the sides and back by bringing them foreward it feels really odd doing them at first but like I said once you get the hang of it its very quick and easy. I have just done the weekly iron including 4 sheets 2 duvet covers 6 pillowcases and table linen as well as the usual jeans shirts work uniform ( 2 baskts full) in just over an hour
You do iron things that you never would before once you get going with it just because you can--well I do:mysmilie_701:

:mysmilie_687:Thank you everyone who replied; steam press definitely on my shopping list now. My kids use coolskin oven gloves when they straighten their hair so I'd wear them to avoid burning my knuckles (I'm a bit of a clutz). What are the chances of Q having a "Love your laundry" TSV soon? Fingers crossed.

Mr Akimbo only wears M&S 100% cotton non-iron shirts and they are exactly that: non-iron! I just dry them on a hanger. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone who hates ironing :mysmilie_697:

Jude xxx

I love my steampress,it makes ironing so easy and for me a lot faster. I am unable to stand and iron(back problems) so the steampress allows me the independence of doing my own ironing - like others have said you can watch your fav telly programme and sit and iron at the same time. Re ironing shirts, my Hinari model came with a "block" which,makes shirts much easier to get a good finish - the shoulder part of the shirt is placed over the "block". I would recommend a steam press to anyone.

I have a Domena press and it's a great way of ironing.
Mr L won't use it though, he prefers to stand and use a normal steam iron & ironing board.
My only issue is where on earth to store it when it isn't in use as it's a cumbersome piece of kit. Mine is currently on the floor in a corner of the dining room :eek:

Well I've been on a steam press journey since I started this thread: I decided to include Mr Akimbo in the steam press decision process and he immediately vetoed the idea! :mysmilie_73: This is why I usually present him with a fait accompli (sp)

After making a huge fuss clearing out the airing cupboard and serious pouty-lipness he's finally come around to the idea. His proviso is I have to get rid of the big ironing board (no problem cos I have a small table-top one). Mwa-ha-ha! It shall be mine! Oh yes it shall be mine!

Lo and behold the pro-steam is on easy-pay so I'm going to give it a whirl for 30 days. If nothing else I'll get all my bedding done so it'll fit back in the airing cupboard! :mysmilie_697:

Thanks for everyone's comments and help.

Jude xx

I decided to include Mr Akimbo in the steam press decision process and he immediately vetoed the idea! :mysmilie_73: This is why I usually present him with a fait accompli (sp)

After making a huge fuss clearing out the airing cupboard and serious pouty-lipness he's finally come around to the idea. His proviso is I have to get rid of the big ironing board (no problem cos I have a small table-top one). Mwa-ha-ha! It shall be mine! Oh yes it shall be mine!

Mr KWC also instantly vetoed the idea, he says by the time you've folded everything just so, ready to press, it would take just as long (if not longer!) than ironing it!
He also said he did not constantly wish to be applying cold water/creams/bandages to burnt knuckles, as I too, am an incredible clutz....!

I fear, unlike Akimbo, I do not have a leg to stand on as Mr KWC is a pretty nifty ironer himself but will give the pouty-lipness approach another go, as Mr KWC never usually says no to anything........failing that, I shall think of some other way to persuade him, I'm sure he can be easily 'bought' if I really want the thing....! :mysmilie_697:

I already had my first steam press by the time I met Mr Rosey - and he was immediately impressed (Sorry for the pun!) as he had lived on his own for some time and had been doing all his own ironing.

On many occasions he has done the 'pressing' and does not make too bad a job of it. Even shirts! He will 'happily' sit watch the footie on tv whilst doing the pressing.

Now he is with me on it is a thing we couldn't live without. So ladies I am sure your men will come around to the idea.

You must let us know how you get on Akimbo - but be warned that for the first few times it might take you longer than normal ironing till you get used to it and also you do get a compulsion to iron everything as it all looks so nice when it is done.

Best of luck Kitten...I hope you can talk him round...use everything in your arsenal :mysmilie_697:

Rosey...watching the football??? Mr A would end up with third degree burns on himself, the carpet, the furniture...I can't even trust him to hold a half-full cup of tea when his team are playing! :mysmilie_81:

Jude x

Latest posts

Back