'Gifting'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alibeth

Birdy
I have just heard this expression yet again.. When did giving a gift to someone become 'gifting'? Is it a shopping channel phrase, an americanism or have changes in language passed me by once more and this is now the accepted term? Whatever way I don't like itl:angry:

I think it's shopping channel speak along with rinsability that Michael de Cesare has just used. I think they just take any words and add ability to the end of it.I don't like it either.

Totally agree, this drives me crazy! To be honest, I hate the way they always say 'gift' for everything. I never say 'gift' - I say 'present' and if that makes me common I DON'T CARE!!!!!!

Totally agree, this drives me crazy! To be honest, I hate the way they always say 'gift' for everything. I never say 'gift' - I say 'present' and if that makes me common I DON'T CARE!!!!!!

I must be common too then, thats what I say.

Same with "purchase" - I always say "buy". But the thing that annoys me most is "malleability". Malleable means capable of being hammered (into shape), it doesn't mean capable of being screwed up in your hands.

I have a vague idea that gifting is something to do with inheritance laws - giving you fortune away to family before you kick the bucket, in an effort to avoid death duty.

I think this is a retailing term - and I think involves buying sets of a product rather than buying an individual item. However,in charity terms, doesn't it mean leaving money in your will?

Like many sayings these have crept into the English Language.This is coming from someone who doesn't know the first thing about 'Text speak'. When I used to get emails from youngsters I needed a translation!I say present rather than gift or prezzie ( how wrong is that!) At least they haven't started saying 'Holiday' instead of Christmas.
Completely different---- when I watch 'The Apprentice' on BBC1 they keep going on about the 'pitch'--- is that football, rugby, cricket?It my day it was a presentation!

Like many sayings these have crept into the English Language.This is coming from someone who doesn't know the first thing about 'Text speak'. When I used to get emails from youngsters I needed a translation!I say present rather than gift or prezzie ( how wrong is that!) At least they haven't started saying 'Holiday' instead of Christmas.
Completely different---- when I watch 'The Apprentice' on BBC1 they keep going on about the 'pitch'--- is that football, rugby, cricket?It my day it was a presentation!

Ooooooohhhhhhh dont get me started ! (going off piste here) I worked in the NHS for hundreds of years, and up until about 4 years ago the sick were regarded as PATIENTS - suddenly the term "Service User" came into being, and the 'patient' died !!!!!!!

I work in the Job Centre and now a person we used to call a claimant is now a customer!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!

Ball park figure.
This one comes in at (whats wrong with costs?)
Those are 2 phrases that grate with me. I also dislike a wedding ring being called a wedding band, I'm sure that's an Americanism.:confused:

Two more :

wait list (why not waiting list )
an item is "introductory-priced" instead of the item being offered/sold etc "at an introductory price".

I know these are but flea bites in the grand scheme of life but they are very irritating.

Price point. This is probably a term used by the buyers for the wholesale side of the business, not a retail term.

Latest posts

Back