US Guest faux-pas

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

numanoids

Registered Shopper
Ok so its not his fault its more of a colloquialism but the guest just on promoting the backjoy relief posture cradle just told Charlie how the product:

"just sits underneath your fanny there"

Charlie's eyes seemed to say....WTF? but didn't really react to it. Wonder if that'll be edited out in the morning repeat.

A friend of mine, on holiday in the US, was horrified to be told by a bus driver to 'move her fanny down the bus'.

I feel sorry for fanny, poor thing never gets to sit on her own!!!!!:giggle:

Out of interest do you all know how the term fanny or sweet FA came about?????

Way back in early Victorian era a little girl called Fanny Adams was taken in a small village in England. Big hunt for her and in the end unfortunately they found her body badly mutilation. They caught the man who was insane. So after that it was Sweet Fanny Adams, meaning poor girl. It got changed as the years went on to something totally different. There quick history lesson.

Ok so its not his fault its more of a colloquialism but the guest just on promoting the backjoy relief posture cradle just told Charlie how the product:

"just sits underneath your fanny there"

Charlie's eyes seemed to say....WTF? but didn't really react to it. Wonder if that'll be edited out in the morning repeat.

Looool! Why was he talking about vaginas!?I don't get it! It actually sounds quite offensive, really!

lol I love it and the story of the lady on the bus too - its like bum bags that we had many moons ago here are called fanny packs or bags in the US too lol

why is a bum called a fanny in the US - they probably think we are odd calling your fanny your bum :) and if you bum is called a fanny what do they call the other bits or maybe I don't want to go there :)

And what if you don't have a fanny?!

You might've figured out by now Julius that a fanny in America/Canada is your bum.

I remember my Aunt & Uncle were over from Canada and I was back home to see them and my best friend had come round to see the family too when my aunt mentioned they were going on a cruise and she needed everything essential in her fanny pack. I knew what she meant but my poor best friend looked horrified, was spotted by my mother who in her devilishly evil ways, stopped all conversation and brought focus to him with "And what are you perplexed at, Scott?"

Poor bugger but it was a good laugh.

He didn't just say fanny, he also said bum. (Saw it on the repeat). But then I think AD said that once. I also remember Trinny almost apologising for saying arse once. I don't think Trinny does apologies, though, so it doesn't really count.
So ... fanny and bum are okay, arse isn't, nor are cheap and fat (affordable and "our larger ladies"). It's also okay to tell the world that you're a size small but the model is XL.

He didn't just say fanny, he also said bum. (Saw it on the repeat). But then I think AD said that once. I also remember Trinny almost apologising for saying arse once. I don't think Trinny does apologies, though, so it doesn't really count.
So ... fanny and bum are okay, arse isn't, nor are cheap and fat (affordable and "our larger ladies"). It's also okay to tell the world that you're a size small but the model is XL.

I'm guessing he was told by the gallery that fanny wasn't acceptable but I can allow an American guest that as its a cultural difference. Only after he said fanny did he then revert to bottom bum and backside. AD? Who's that?

Trinny is a ghastly vile beast so I wouldn't even bother with her or her crony and what they say.

I am going to buy some Levi's jeans so will need to look in the mirror to see how they fit across my fanny!

It's such a shame there's a serious lack of acceptable nick-names for the fanny (UK meaning)...watch the next time they're trying to sell the pelvic toner and their verbal acrobatics as they skirt around the actual body part concerned....look I'm doing it now. There's a seemingly endless list of boy-part synonyms. Not fair!

It makes me laugh when there's a Quacker or Kirks Folly item with a cute cat design and the guests always call it a kitty rather than a pussy cat! Can't beat a bit of Mrs Slocombe humour!

It's such a shame there's a serious lack of acceptable nick-names for the fanny (UK meaning)...watch the next time they're trying to sell the pelvic toner and their verbal acrobatics as they skirt around the actual body part concerned....look I'm doing it now. There's a seemingly endless list of boy-part synonyms. Not fair!

It makes me laugh when there's a Quacker or Kirks Folly item with a cute cat design and the guests always call it a kitty rather than a pussy cat! Can't beat a bit of Mrs Slocombe humour!

I remember Cathering Huntley demonstrating some pelvic floor thing that looked like a giant dildo. I nearly spat my tea out with laughter when she said it "feels comfortable around the intimate area of the body." (At the same time running this device over her "intimate area." Personally I couldn't imagine shoving some electrode the size of a grapefruit into any orifice would be "comfortable."

I remember Cathering Huntley demonstrating some pelvic floor thing that looked like a giant dildo. I nearly spat my tea out with laughter when she said it "feels comfortable around the intimate area of the body." (At the same time running this device over her "intimate area." Personally I couldn't imagine shoving some electrode the size of a grapefruit into any orifice would be "comfortable."

I have one. It's perfectly comfortable, although grapefruit is rather an exaggeration. It works too.

This thread is hilarious, any more terms that don't cross the Atlantic too well?
There's a dance, originating in South Carolina called the shag. There was an American movie made in the late 80s, on the back of Dirty Dancing called "Shag" (or "Shag: The Movie" in some territories). It's all about the innocence and humour of the era it portrays but the featured songs are hilarious when considered in our context of the word: "There Ain't Nothing Like Shagging (Shagging With The One You Love)"; "Shag Til You Gag"; "Shagging On The Grandstand" and, not so obvious but still amusing, "Sixty Minute Man".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back