They are having a giraffe, surely. (Don't call me shirley)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

numanoids

Registered Shopper
So they are charging £396 for a gold or rose-gold PLATED watch with Welsh gold in it. Where's the welsh gold? a DISC in the crown/winder on the side of the watch. So that tiny little bit of gold qualifies them to sell the whole item as Clogau......why do I get the impending feeling of bullsh*t

:cake: "Pitiful" will be my word of the day and it's only 01:25.

Woo-flippin-hoo! :confused:

Thanks Numanoids, I wondered where the 'crown' was, as I couldn't see anything resembling a 'crown' on the close-up. The gold content must be the size of a pin-head then if its on the winder.

Its not an attractive looking watch anyway, very bulky. Obviously not much stock was ordered, as it was announced that the probable last showing would be in the morning programme.

If the mine is no longer working, then they ain't gonna put loadsagold into their products, not with all the royal offspring to cater wedding rings for !!!!!

I posted before that the price of the watch will reflect the automatic movement not the amount of gold. Add to that the sapphire crystal dial, the teeny tiny diamonds and the small amount of gold and the price is not bad at all. I know brands like Rotary and Citizen (this watch has a citizen movement) charge similar prices for automatics without any diamonds or gold in it.

I'm not buying, just sayin. One of the better quality watch offerings on Q IMHO.

Fair enough and I dont decry anyone who likes it and buys it. I simply feel that it is overpriced and overrated and as for Flint peddling it last night as "the best watch you will ever own.....possibly" (not the subtle withdrawal from the statement at the end?) it just made me want to switch off. That and the guest's appalling use of English language just made the entire event seem cheap and nasty.

Happy Birthday Q, you're meteoric rise to the top of the craptower is now complete.

So they are charging £396 for a gold or rose-gold PLATED watch with Welsh gold in it. Where's the welsh gold? a DISC in the crown/winder on the side of the watch. So that tiny little bit of gold qualifies them to sell the whole item as Clogau......why do I get the impending feeling of bullsh*t

You must have read my mind, you have posted the exact thread I was going to start this morning.
If this the BEST they can do to celebrate 20 years I won't be holding my breath for their silver anniversary in 5 years time, who knows they may run to a limited edition Charley Bear in silver fur with a silver plated medallion around its neck .

I felt like I was watching Del Boy and Rodney, the pair were going at it with the sales patter...everything but 'Roll-up, roll-up...I'm not giving you it for £1000, I'm not giving you it for £500, I'm giving it away for £369.96.. They were doing my head in. The sales patter is getting so ridiculous they should just set up a market stall in the studio.

To put the value of this watch into context, I bought an Invicta 'Angel' watch, with a leather strap, and 1/4 carat diamonds for approx. £115 or so. I do like the Clogau range, and bought a silver bracelet direct from them, and got a charm free worth £79, and have bought other charms. In my opinion, however, the gold jewellery is so not worth the prices being asked. 9% welsh gold, and 9ct at that. I found it hilarious when the guest, Graham, said that Bill and Ben Roberts won't even tell him where the welsh gold is stored. Call me cynical, but I would not be surprised in the least if they keep on churning out jewellery which contains welsh gold, despite the fact that they insist on reminding us the supply is finite. Personally, I am not impressed that welsh gold is used in the wedding jewellery of the royal family. I'm sure it contains a larger % welsh gold than the jewellery the hoi polloi can buy!

Can't see the point of trawling out the picture of the miners from way back when the gold content of the jewellery is a dot!

It's those very miners' jockstraps that are wafted in the general direction of the jewellery as it's made dontcha know!

To put the value of this watch into context, I bought an Invicta 'Angel' watch, with a leather strap, and 1/4 carat diamonds for approx. £115 or so. I do like the Clogau range, and bought a silver bracelet direct from them, and got a charm free worth £79, and have bought other charms. In my opinion, however, the gold jewellery is so not worth the prices being asked. 9% welsh gold, and 9ct at that. I found it hilarious when the guest, Graham, said that Bill and Ben Roberts won't even tell him where the welsh gold is stored. Call me cynical, but I would not be surprised in the least if they keep on churning out jewellery which contains welsh gold, despite the fact that they insist on reminding us the supply is finite. Personally, I am not impressed that welsh gold is used in the wedding jewellery of the royal family. I'm sure it contains a larger % welsh gold than the jewellery the hoi polloi can buy!

Rumour has it that the jewellery has been made in China for a while now.
I was bought a beautiful ingot pendant 6 years ago and needed to get the bale built up. Because of the intricacy of the patten on the ingot it had to be sent to Birmingham. The jeweller I took it too, knows his stuff and knew that by building up the bale, the ingot would go black and they didn't have the tools to get into the nooks and crannies to clean it up. They wanted to know if the finish was originally a satin finish. I couldn't remember, I have worn it every day for 6 years and it had gone smooth. I emailed clogau to ask them on numerous occasions an they never got back to me. They never returned phone calls either.
I did a bit of a scan on the Internet and found quite a lot of customer service complaints about the company. That's when I discovered that their products were made in China.
I decided that I wouldn't buy anything from their range again.

Last edited:
Rumour has it that the jewellery has been made in China for a while now.
I was bought a beautiful ingot pendant 6 years ago and needed to get the bale built up. Because of the intricacy of the patten on the ingot it had to be sent to Birmingham. The jeweller I took it too, knows his stuff and knew that by building up the bale, the ingot would go black and they didn't have the tools to get into the nooks and crannies to clean it up. They wanted to know if the finish was originally a satin finish. I couldn't remember, I have worn it every day for 6 years and it had gone smooth. I emailed clogau to ask them on numerous occasions an they never got back to me. They never returned phone calls either.
I did a bit of a scan on the Internet and found quite a lot of customer service complaints about the company. That's when I discovered that their products were made in China.
I decided that I wouldn't buy anything from their range again.

Funny you should mention their CS, sharonk, as I emailed a query I had about a bracelet I had bought from them. They never replied to me, either. Manufacturing is so affordable in the far east, it's not surprising most businesses opt to ship the materials out to China, and back. Pity Clogau don't pass a % of the savings they are making on to the end consumer.

Latest posts

Back