Are they Serious? How much?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wornoutcreditcard

Registered Shopper
Just switched the TV on to see craig presenting the Green Seasons food show and they have a goose for the eye watering price of £127.00 each.
Is that what a whole goose cost? Or are QVC up to there old tricks as usual?
I'd like to know how many they actually sell at ths price.:mysmilie_47:

This made me grab the iPad to check M&S website. Q has 4.5k for £127.50 (no wonder people dread Xmas bills!!,) and M&S have a 5-6k free range whole goose from £70 - £84. So yes, it is the same old story. I remember I did the same check last year for the turkeys.

PS I was surprised to hear Chef Michael is a Michelin chef, well has worked in a starred restaurant or hotel. Or is that just me not appreciating him?

Q

Their food prices are ridiculous. Regarding meat, I have done checks for the last few years and even the top ethically farmed/free-range/organic stuff was cheaper. I don't bother much for Xmas dinner these days, but have had turkeys from my local butcher - Bronze, organic birds from a nearby farm - divine, and still cheaper than Q by a country mile :confused:

Support your local butcher if you can - you can specify the size and pick it up at your convenience.

This made me grab the iPad to check M&S website. Q has 4.5k for £127.50 (no wonder people dread Xmas bills!!,) and M&S have a 5-6k free range whole goose from £70 - £84. So yes, it is the same old story. I remember I did the same check last year for the turkeys.

PS I was surprised to hear Chef Michael is a Michelin chef, well has worked in a starred restaurant or hotel. Or is that just me not appreciating him?

My Tesco Finest goose was cheaper than that! See link above.

It also beats me why anyone would want goose for Christmas dinner. As if it's not a stressful enough experience, without the added challenge of cooking a difficult bird about which most people will probably be indifferent at best.

On a QVC day when they must think the majority of viewers have more money than sense, and using that old panic 'OMG what IF unexpected guests arrive?? Sales trick.

Who the hell wants to pay for meats etc for consumption without viewing it in person first, you know, giving it a little inspection

Like someone said to me recently who works for a supermarket home delivery (beginning with T ending in O with a ESC in the middle) 'oh the dented cans don't get thrown out, they are chosen for the online click'n'deliver customers'

Personally, I'd prefer to carry my bird home myself.

Support your local butcher if you can - you can specify the size and pick it up at your convenience.

Indeed! .. he's very dishy, there are giggles all round when I ask for a 'good piece of beef' and I get a free 'wink' on thanks & goodbyes :mysmilie_14:

It also beats me why anyone would want goose for Christmas dinner. As if it's not a stressful enough experience, without the added challenge of cooking a difficult bird about which most people will probably be indifferent at best.

I'm sure there will be goose recipes out there online and in cookery books. It used to be popular with rich families in the Victorian times but recently fell out of favour.

i bought one from waitrose and it nearly flooded my oven there was that much fat. what came out was a sorry bony bird with little meat not for me

I totally agree. We decided to have goose for Xmas dinner about 10 years ago, and I can honestly say it was the worst Xmas dinner we've ever had.
We got absolutely no stock from the meat at all so obviously we couldn't make any gravy.
On top of that I don't think the meat looked that appetising either TBH.
Since then, we've stuck with a couple of turkey crowns. A much safer option IMO.

Although saying that, some people must like it or they wouldn't sell them I suppose?

I am, as many regular forumites will know, vegetarian, so would not advocate using the local butcher but, then, I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy meat, this is my belief. But why anyone would WANT to spend more than is necessary, when supermarkets are more economical, is beyond me. I like to spend as little as possible for quality, and probably spend more on my dogs' holistic diet/food, etc., than I do on myself in a month. The food sold on the Q, especially the meat packs, are exorbitantly priced, as are the cakes and sweet treats, popcorn, etc. Yes, you may be getting flavours which are luxurious, or not available elsewhere, but does that make them worth paying a premium? People must be buying this overpriced tat, as the Q continue to sell it. I work in retail technology, and the money is out there.

A goose isn't difficult to cook at all. It needs far less fiddling with than a turkey. It bastes itself and doesn't anything to add flavour or moisture and cooks in about half the time of a turkey. The downside for some can be the lack of leftovers and, of course, these days it is expensive. It didn't used to be. It was the poor man's Christmas dinner.

I have only had turkey for Christmas lunch once in my 50+ years on this planet and I've no plan to repeat it any time soon.

i love a well presented turkey with homemade stuffing and butter bacon to add flavour and moisture. gammon is anather fav and very easy to cook. i always do a beef in pastry and duxelles a mushroom stuffing. theres enough meat/fish to choose from without adding goose to the list

i bought one from waitrose and it nearly flooded my oven there was that much fat. what came out was a sorry bony bird with little meat not for me

Did you keep the fat to rub on your chest in the winter??????

Before turkeys became the rage people always had goose for Xmas lunch didn't they? "Christmas is coming" and all that good stuff. I thought it went back to the Middle Ages if not before.

I hated the Christmas goose as a kid. We had one every Christmas Day and it wasn`t the goose meat I disliked but the fact my Mother would store the goose fat in a kilner jar and if any of us had a cold, bad cough or bad chest, she`d warm the goose fat and rub us with it. We stank for days and it was back in the days when you only had a bath once a week so the smell would linger on til bath night !

Latest posts

Back