Nice post about our resident beauty expert!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MinxyKitten

Registered Shopper
I know a lot of you dislike her, but I thought she looked really lovely presenting the Ego twist today (I think it was today?)

Her dress was really nice, fitted well and flattered her. When she brushed out the curls her hair looked amazing and it really suited her!

Here is a video:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Ego-Twist-Styl....html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-400703

Yes, my name is MinkyKitten and I love Ali Young and Jill Franks!!! :mysmilie_12::mysmilie_15::bandit:

To be honest I did not like the curls, too much of a Shirley Temple vibe. The other night when she had her hair up and very for her anyway understated makeup, she looked lovely.

Trouble is 99% of the time Titty Von Tease(the local drag Queen who works at my local MAC counter), looks softer and more understated.

I know a lot of you dislike her, but I thought she looked really lovely presenting the Ego twist today (I think it was today?)

Her dress was really nice, fitted well and flattered her. When she brushed out the curls her hair looked amazing and it really suited her!

Here is a video:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Ego-Twist-Styl....html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-400703

Yes, my name is MinkyKitten and I love Ali Young and Jill Franks!!! :mysmilie_12::mysmilie_15::bandit:

MK, you and I seem to be in the minority; I like them both, too. I admit, initially Jill wasn't a favourite of mine, but I never felt the need to switch her off. I like her as a presenter. I have always found Ali to be informative. Both looked lovely yesterday. Another thing I appreciate about Jill, every time I tweet her, however trivial, she ALWAYS replies, unlike many of the others who I now don't even bother messaging. Keep up the good work, both!

I like them both too. But I like Catherine Huntley and Julia Roberts the most as presenters.

Ali Young can look really nice, but the trouble is it's usually when someone else does the work.
When she's left to her own devices, she seems to slap it on like a five year old discovering make-up for the first time.

She has obviously never heard the phrase 'Less is More'. Especially when she's trowelling the Shimmer Brick on.

I feel sorry for AY at times,though she can be irritating .These days presenters seem to have to wear the make up being sold and some of them do not suit her.Mally and Joan Collins to name two .its the over made up look.Pipa in my opinion also looked too made up in the Joan Collins make up.

It must be difficult going through the ageing stuff when you are the resident beauty expert ,because it plays havoc with the skin and weight and no amount of make up can disguise some of it until things settle down over time.

Last edited:
I don't feel sorry for her at all. As "Resident Beauty Expert" she should be immaculately groomed and presented at all times. It is a rare day when she looks adequate - and, even then, it is usually when someone else has done her make up for her.

If you went into a department store and the sales assistant had terrible makeup and hair but was trying to encourage you to spend a lot of money on product X, Y and Z, then you wouldn`t take heed would you ? Especially if that person was telling you it would resolve all the issues she herself obviously had !
Ali Y is a sales person pretending to be a beauty expert and yes she`s getting older and yes she`s never been what you`d call a ravishing beauty but many of her audience are of a similar age so she should be using makeup application for women over 40 as a strength by ensuring hers looks the part. As it is, she should be an advert for what NOT to do.

I actually think she's quite an attractive woman but for a "resident beauty expert" she oddly enough doesn't seem to know how to make the most of herself. The curly-wurly look just wasn't Alison Young, either, and I thought her hair looked a bit of a mess.

Last edited:
If you went into a department store and the sales assistant had terrible makeup and hair but was trying to encourage you to spend a lot of money on product X, Y and Z, then you wouldn`t take heed would you ? Especially if that person was telling you it would resolve all the issues she herself obviously had !
Ali Y is a sales person pretending to be a beauty expert and yes she`s getting older and yes she`s never been what you`d call a ravishing beauty but many of her audience are of a similar age so she should be using makeup application for women over 40 as a strength by ensuring hers looks the part. As it is, she should be an advert for what NOT to do.

You know, the ironic thing is that because she is of a certain age and shape that if she was better turned out without the use of Botox etc, all the Q customers would be clambering to buy to achieve the same results rather than wanting to run a mile.

Here is a video:

I totally agree with you. The dress was a great colour for her and the hair was great. In fact I sent a tweet to her telling her how much I liked it. I must admit I really liked the look of that Ego curler. It was a good presentation.

I have always liked Ali Young, I thought she looked quite professional with her hair up. Do I buy into her beauty spiel ...of course not. LOL

Yes, I agree, having her hair up suited her. I quite like AY, she's a no nonsense sort of a girl, and she does seem to have a good sense of humour, doesn't take herself too seriously. I think she's in her late 40s now, I'm 46, and I know how hard it is to get your look "right" at this age, I can't decide whether I look better with more or less make up and I have no idea what to do with my hair, so I sympathise with her. She probably feels she has to put on a lot of make up for TV, but with her being so fair it looks really harsh.

I have met Alison & she is very nice, chatty & friendly.She also looked much smaller than she does on Q.I like her although she can get of my nerves & I have to mute her but like her sense of humour.

Yes, I agree, having her hair up suited her. I quite like AY, she's a no nonsense sort of a girl, and she does seem to have a good sense of humour, doesn't take herself too seriously. I think she's in her late 40s now, I'm 46, and I know how hard it is to get your look "right" at this age, I can't decide whether I look better with more or less make up and I have no idea what to do with my hair, so I sympathise with her. She probably feels she has to put on a lot of make up for TV, but with her being so fair it looks really harsh.

I like Alison and I have met her too. Very nice lady, very tiny petite lady. You know what I think it is her hair colour that is the problem for her. Very blonde hair that once suited her in her twenties now washes her out...no matter how fair her skin tone is. The harsh studio lights bleach her skin and hair colour even more...so she piles on too much slap to over compensate. I know I am not qualified to say but if I were here I would change my hair colour to a slightly warmer toffee/caramel blonde with a few highlights. Then just colour match foundation to her skin tone, apply a soft peachy cream blush, coffee brown liner to top lashes, taupe liner to bottom, a slick of brown/black or black mascara, nude-pink lipstick or gloss, and a soft, natural eyeshadow of her choice. I like some of her clothes too (but not that gold dress!) She suits grey, Navy blue and Yellow and peach colours IMO.

I agree, wg. Far too many women seem to think that harshly dyed blonde hair makes them look younger, whereas it does the opposite. Warmer, more natural and she'd be halfway there. The thing is, though, as a "resident beauty expert" why hasn't she worked this out for herself?

Just saw a clip of Ali promoting the Tarte hour at 6. She looks fab! Hair looks soft and layered, and not as bright as usual. Make up is subtle, lovely dress. Yep, she looks fab!

Just saw a clip of Ali promoting the Tarte hour at 6. She looks fab! Hair looks soft and layered, and not as bright as usual. Make up is subtle, lovely dress. Yep, she looks fab!

Maybe she secretly reads this forum ?

Latest posts

Back