Strategies for shopping less at Q

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MinxyKitten

Registered Shopper
What strategies are you adopting to stop yourself shopping at Q? Or should I say 'trying' to adopt?!!

At the moment I am in a place where I am being sensible, after a really bad month or so. I have been off work so I think it was sheer boredom! A lot of it has gone back, after I saw sense.

However, one of the main things stopping me now is that I am fed up (and embarrassed) of seeing my Hermes man!!! So now, if I am tempted by anything, I go to check out and if it's being delivered by Hermes, I delete it!! I have saved myself another potential small fortune!! It's great :mysmilie_59:

i know what you mean!! I've found myself having to wear the "good" pyjamas incase the hermes man arrives again - for some reason he likes to come just after 8am! way to early for me, god only knows what i sign on that little machine, i just know its not my name as i can't even see the screen lol! for me knowing he comes so early is good reason not to buy something as i hate getting up early.

What strategies are you adopting to stop yourself shopping at Q? Or should I say 'trying' to adopt?!!

At the moment I am in a place where I am being sensible, after a really bad month or so. I have been off work so I think it was sheer boredom! A lot of it has gone back, after I saw sense.

However, one of the main things stopping me now is that I am fed up (and embarrassed) of seeing my Hermes man!!! So now, if I am tempted by anything, I go to check out and if it's being delivered by Hermes, I delete it!! I have saved myself another potential small fortune!! It's great :mysmilie_59:

I have to shop online for majority of things I buy, this is for various reasons, anyway given how many companies now use Hermes I am long past embarrassed about seeing my Hermes courier!

I want to know how to stop buying stuff full stop, not just from QVC. I've just ordered a set of three large Yankee candles as I was tempted by the four easy pays, but I am still paying for an SBC set and a telescopic ladder and Bissell carpet cleaner from Ideal World!

I know that I cannot possibly need anymore skincare for the next two or three years at least so not tempted unless it's my favourite brand. I know lots of people want EH TSV but I'm secretly glad there wasn't one this year as I wouldn't be able to resist as I buy two at a time if this is my brand eg Alpha-H, EH, L Geller. I resisted the last two LG TSVs. And I moved my custom to L'Occitane website as I'm rather keen on their perfumes, not bath products, they do excellent offers and gifts.
And another reason for buying less my OH says "where are you going to put it?" and I know that he is right

The best way is to stop watching QVC on the TV and to limit onliñe. If you have signed up for emails from QVC remove the option. That way you doing know what is on and won't be tempted

If you`re tempted to order anything you really don`t need then take the actual cash out of your purse and look at it and ask yourself do you really want to part with such an amount for product X, Y or Z ?
If you don`t have the cash handy then write the amount plus p and p into a little notebook, do this every time you`re tempted over a set period ie. a month. Then tot up the figures. It`s scary and don`t try and cheat by saying to yourself that something is on EP so you`re not spending as much etc, the total cost is still the same, EP or not !

I am a reformed QVC shopper.
I compare their Q, V and C with other sites on the net, then tell myself sternly I can't afford it/don't need it/have nowhere to put it.
I rarely now buy from them, against four or more previous purchases a month.
My Hermes man now snubs me.

I have seen the light! Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!

Oh god whatever you do don't start using PayPal on other shopping sites, as it's as easy as Q for spending! Don't even have to look at the credit card never mind count cash! I need to move to a remote Island with no phone, Internet, telly or Hermes deliveries!

I have started to go down the DHS route too. Very often as a result, I don't end up buying it as the thought of going into town fills me with dread! This is another great strategy to rid me of tat I don't need! :)

The Hermes thing has also got me shopping less online in general. I think my little man is doing me a huge favour! He is gutted though, says I am his best customer, what with the returns too :-/

I have things delivered to my mum's. She tuts at everything so it makes me thing long and hard about whether the purchase is worth the lecture about money!!!

I don't go for easy pays any more unless it is something I really need. I found each month the payments were mounting because easy pay lulls you into thinking you are spending less when in fact you are spending more.....

I don't go onto wait list for anything because I figure if I can wait for it I don't need it.....

I watch much less so dont get tempted.

My top tip is to NOT watch.......... find something interesting on another channel or try a dvd. :mysmilie_59:

My top tip is to NOT watch.......... find something interesting on another channel or try a dvd. :mysmilie_59:

I think it's a very good tip, I have hardly watched any Q for the last may be four months since I started watching youtube, well,listening mostly but it keeps me away from the telly all together

Sounds mad but I bought a hardback book and made it into my QVC 'when I have the money' Book, everything I liked I just jotted down the details, and said to myself I shall get this when I have the money - even if it sold out, I just told myself that they would restock as it was popular. The simple action of writing it down, took away any urgent feelings of 'I must order this now' and it has worked for me. I look in the book weeks on and feel quite shocked at how much I would have bought.

I don't watch much, to be totally honest 99% of QVC now bores me. You can most times find the same items elsewhere cheaper than QVC anyway.

Unless the Hermes man comes very early I am at work and he leaves stuff in my little cubby hole. I order loads online from all over so never worry about the postie or courier bringing stuff

I have it on in the background with the sound down and talk radio on.
I also wont buy when certain presenters are on either.

I have it on in the background with the sound down and talk radio on.
I also wont buy when certain presenters are on either.

I think the presenters are 50% of the reason I don't buy much in comparison to a couple of years ago.

Chuntley, Marv, Anne Dawson, Sara G, jackie, and our old friend Del BoyI just can't watch no matter what they are selling so when you take out the beauty shows and these presenters there ain't much left. At this time with all the Christmas tat and ruddy awful flame less candles together with the teeth grinding Ann D and Jill G there is even less.

I had got to the stage where I just bought out of clearance but realised today I hadn't even looked there for about 6 weeks. Very suspicious thst the clearance items reviews have been pulled as it is amazing how few have any reviews at all.

Oh god whatever you do don't start using PayPal on other shopping sites, as it's as easy as Q for spending! Don't even have to look at the credit card never mind count cash! I need to move to a remote Island with no phone, Internet, telly or Hermes deliveries!

I only keep a small amount of money in my paypal account. That way I have to go online and move cash into the account before buying anything major. It makes me think twice.

I hardly watch any qvc these days. I keep a weather eye on the forum for upcoming deals but I find the presenters have finally worn me down and I can barely watch live anymore. And anyway they hardly ever have stuff I really want at the price I want to pay (and can most likely pay somewhere else). From being quite a novelty with interesting deals they now seem tired and boring with loads and loads of things I wouldn't dream of ever buying - I mean, how many Christmas baubles and merrygorounds can they seriously expect us to buy?

Latest posts

Back