Post Office third degree

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
I have just returned 2 items to Q as I didn't like enough to keep, not vast sums involved but enough to go to the bother returning.At the Post Office counter it was like being put under the third degree, 'What is in these packets?' NOT 'are these under the value of £xs ?'--'Do you want the signed for service?' --NO-- 'then I will have to write on your receipt that you have declined this' what happens to these packets, is there some Royal mail black hole ( these aren't to be signed for so can go missing) & why do we need to say what the parcels contain.What if it had been a Pelvic Floor exerciser or one of those 'Camel's Hoof' efforts? There was another thread 'What would make you shopping @Q' well I will add the Post Office Royal Mail experience to my list!!

They have to ask what is in parcels as CAA brought in new rules regarding what are restricted or prohibited items, certain items like perfume, aerosols, nail polish etc....need special labels put on them.

I`ve had this happen to me too but not because I was returning items to q. I was sending a parcel to someone and had to list what was inside it

Funny you should post that, I just had the same experience trying to return the Elemis TSV! 'Are any bottles open?', 'how many bottles are there?' 'how many millilitres is in there?' 'is there protective packaging around them in case they leak?' 'Is it a bomb?'

Ok so they didn't ask that last one.

I totally understand they have to have an idea of the contents, but it varies so much between post office staff that it makes you wonder if some really go into more depth than they need to. There is a list on royal mails website of prohibited items and some staff certainly carry on asking more questions than necessary once they've established that nothing in the parcel is prohibited.

The rebel in me still has the temptation when asked 'what is in the parcel?', to reply something like 'a vibrator' :mysmilie_17:

Last edited:
They have to ask what is in parcels as CAA brought in new rules regarding what are restricted or prohibited items, certain items like perfume, aerosols, nail polish etc....need special labels put on them.
Can they just not ask & point to a list of prohibited items like airlines do? I am all for security but am not sure what they are achieving by asking such probing questions.Unless all parcels are Xrayed then we could say anything? perhaps I am missing something.

Maybe that's why QVC have set up the Hermes collection thingy so that customers can return goods without being given the third degree.

I am fed up of this too. And it's the way it's asked. I usually say "beauty products" - just to be awkward. Then they ask if it's perfume or nail varnish. They know me well enough to know that if it is nail varnish, I tell them straight up. If it's not on the naughty list then I don't say anything. Grr!!

There are leaflets in post offices( most people just ignore them or don't read), and yes all parcels are x rayed! If you are found to have shipped something on the No list you will get a letter warning you if you do it again you could be prosecuted. Oh and they will destroy the parcel.

Maybe that's why QVC have set up the Hermes collection thingy so that customers can return goods without being given the third degree.

I was told by CS that I cannot return jewellery by Hermes because it's a different depot.

I've posted several parcels for my sister and have never been asked what they contained but she says that she has been asked when she has posted things herself at a different post office. Maybe the main post offices are more officious than the smaller sub post offices.

The PO never ask me anything. I returned the KenPaves claw clip on Saturday and they showed no interest at all. They did not ask me what was in it

Can they just not ask & point to a list of prohibited items like airlines do? I am all for security but am not sure what they are achieving by asking such probing questions.Unless all parcels are Xrayed then we could say anything? perhaps I am missing something.

The list is so comprehensive for both restricted and prohibited it is easier to ask what is in it.

Oh dear :-/ I have, and they've all been credited. Quite quickly, for a change!
They lost two of my eek rings but refunded both after they sent me the letter and I attached proof of postage and I was worried as I put both of them in one parcel. You were lucky MK as QVC collect from that depot once a fortnight as CS told me

They lost two of my eek rings but refunded both after they sent me the letter and I attached proof of postage and I was worried as I put both of them in one parcel. You were lucky MK as QVC collect from that depot once a fortnight as CS told me

Oops. Thanks for posting this. I genuinely had no idea. I wonder if it states this on the Q/Hermes site? I can't say I have noticed a different return address on the label of jewellery. Unless the Hermes parcels go elsewhere. I am glad you pointed this out, just in case I am naughty and order jewellery again in the future!

I was told by CS that I cannot return jewellery by Hermes because it's a different depot.

I was thinking more about whether it was possible to return the items that the Post Office won't deal with ..... i.e. nail varnish etc. But it's about time that QVC sorted itself out with regard to returns. Talk about making it difficult for customers.

I was thinking more about whether it was possible to return the items that the Post Office won't deal with ..... i.e. nail varnish etc. But it's about time that QVC sorted itself out with regard to returns. Talk about making it difficult for customers.

QVC are a pack of morons. They still try to ship nail polish etc out to Ireland, Spain etc, then the customer wonders why they don't get their parcels until the contact CS and find out its been returned by the post or courier because of the regulations. Couriers must have a licence to ship restricted items which might be okay inside the UK, but the moment it moves outside to EU countries its a no. Yet QVC still do not even put a notice on screen about say nail polish being unable to send outside the UK. Yes a year later they still send them out and get them returned.

I returned the Rodial TSV the other week, but I had a pre-paid returns label from QVC stashed away, so I used that instead of paying. But I did ask, out of interest, how much it would have cost me to return it if I had to pay and the lady at the Post Office told me then the price, but also that they have to ask what's in it and the value if you are paying, but they don't if it's pre-paid.

Latest posts

Back