Really ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
In other threads its been mentioned that Ali Young is coming up to her 50th - same as Jill Franks.

On her recent beauty programme, as normal, she spouted about being a beauty therapist 30 years ago to celebrities and royalty (?) - now, that means she was only 20 when she was let loose (supposedly) to do all her pummelling and massaging on all of these famous faces. Is that really the case I wonder ?

I find it very hard to believe that 'royalty' would allow anyone that young with not much experience to be responsible for their looks, because surely even beauty therapists would need to train for more than a couple of years to consider themselves qualified.

Perhaps beauty therapists on here could enlighten me ! (most of the BTs in my local salon are late 20's upwards)

Many beauty therapists like hairdressers start training at 16/17.

And its not a regulated industry either (I don't think). The most they do are NVQ's... It's just down to training by the salon owner then being assessed on the job. Hardly rigorous training and qualifications involved ;-)

Remember "royalty" can mean any family member of a chief in a down at heel mud hut country... Technically, my sister in law is Ghanaian Royalty. She works over here as a carer and has also stacked supermarket shelves. She'd probably let the presteeejus AY loose on her face (provided someone also supplied ear plugs).

My friend trained as a beauty therapist as 16. She went to a private beauty school for a year and got what is considered some of the best qualifications in the industry. She then started her own business (at 18!!) and did some business courses. She chose to stock Decleor skincare and had to go through their training process. They only accept the better qualified to represent them. I think its common for all skincare, makeup, nail products etc to provide training in their products. I think what Alison is sating is pretty standard and she was probably fortunate to work for one of the better known spas and so would have had exposure to high end clients - possibly royalty!

Who truly gives a rats about her slavering creams and potions on royalty? Not me and it gets on my nerves when people like Alison bang on about it. Rant over!

Inge x

Thanks for clearing that up everyone. I can now rest assured that a beauty 'therapist' can be 'qualified' at 17, and my apologies to AY.

(Incidentally, I was a 'trained' estate agent for 23 years, 1970 to 1993, ending up as UK Marketing Manager for Overseas Properties, but what I knew then doesn't compare to what goes on now, so I don't "BANG" on about it! )

I am more shocked she is a fully qualified make-up artist:mysmilie_514: Did she go to the Lilly Savage school of make-up artistry.

Its a fact of life than anyone can claim to be "fully qualified" in anything from brain surgery to rubber duck making, but sadly old age and experience has put me firmly in the school of cynics, and would it hurt AY to have her Certificates on display to back up all her claims ? (yes, yes I know we can create diplomas and certificates for 2 a penny on the pc, but still.......)

Makeup artists are usually giving up to date training as are therapies for new products which are always coming out.

AY, I doubt she has ever retrained since the 80s.

I'm sorry all of you, I feel I really need to say that some of your comments are rather personal, ignorant and nasty.

I remember her saying many years ago saying she trained at top Beauty College.

It`s surprising how someone`s appearance can affect you as a customer, especially when they`re supposed to be in an advisory position as well as trying to sell you things. Years ago I used to buy quite a lot of Estee Lauder stuff from my local Debenhams and the counter had 2 staff. One lady looked lovely, well made up, elegant and smart, the other lady resembled coco the clown, her face had so much makeup on it she looked as if she was wearing one of every item they sold and it was badly applied. Guess which assistant I always went to for advice ? Some remarks might seem personal about AY but tbh I for one, find it really difficult to taker her and her advice seriously.

I can't see whats personal, nasty or ignorant about wanting to see certificates of achievement on display !!!!!

I used to love Clarins years ago, but the quality seems to have changed since then.
I tried quite a few samples recently of their skincare, all updated versions of previous products apparently. I'm not impressed at all, their creams used to be lovely.

Its a fact she can't apply make-up I have seen her try to do it on air and the model look terrible, SJ is a proper make-up artist. I will giver her some credit she is a tad better than Jerome Alexander.

Latest posts

Back