Mally's Face defender sponge 'doing the rounds'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
One sponge. many faces. Mally using same sponge on someone else. There is a huge fuss about people on TV 'double dipping' when it comes to food, yet, it seems to be acceptable to share around same make up samples on air. I hope to Goodness she doesnt use waterline eyeliner on multiple eyes.

I wondered 'am I being a litle OCD about this?' Would you feel happy sharing sponges/make up tools?
I don't think I would be very happy if I were on air 'next in line' for a matt-down. with a used sponge, used on another. Im sure it wouldnt break the bank to have a tray of sponges under the counter for each face during presentation

Hmm maybe its just me. I never 'do' make up samples - the ones that are all squashed in open pans beneath product for sale, in places such as Boots, looking just like a 7 year old has pressed and wiggled their finger in then wiped onto the display plastic, LOL

No your are not being OCD at all. In fact double dipping goes on in waxing too. Big no no, I mean if you got waxed would you like to have the same hot wax as someone else??? Salons are not suppose to do it but it goes on.

Make up artists are very very hygiene aware usually, using alcohol to clean and then Fairy Liquid(someone I know who does bridal make up swears by old fashion green Fairy Liquid) and wouldn't use anything else.

There is something else I've always wondered too.

Are there separate hygiene laws for chef in kitchens to the ones used in the manufacture of food ?

Workers in places of manufacture have to wear bonnets/hairnets for fear of contamination, and gloves when handling food.

So WHY (I've been watching Masterchef), do chefs literally manhandle food when plating up and not wear gloves ???

I can say with hand on heart that I NEVER touch the food when plating up at home, and this has made me seriously wonder what goes on in the kitchen of even the most reputiable of restaurants, and will I ever eat out again.

I work in a bakery(actually in the office, its a small place which supplies other home bakeries), and if I go into the main baking area I am suppose to put on a white coat and a paper hat. The packers have to wear white coats and hats as do the bakers. Baking bowls for mixing you cannot use the same one for sausage rolls to say bread and piping bags as well. We all had to do a hygiene course as well.

I think perhaps on TV as its a studio and not a proper kitchen they can get away with stuff. I know if the rules are broken you get a big fine in the thousands, the health people call in unannounced at anytime and do an inspection of the building, machines, fridges utensils used etc. But I have seen chiefs standing outside kitchens having a smoke or in some cases going home in their work clothes. In my place of work that is not allowed, everyone has a locker(small one), where they are suppose to leave coats and the bakers their whites. We have a professional laundry service as well, no one is trusted to make sure their whites are cleaned properly.

I`d never use the tester trays on my face, lips or eyes. As someone said, you never know who`se grubby fingers have been into it. Whenever I`ve had foundation matches done, the sales girls have always used a clean cotton bud to stroke it along the jawline, never a pre used brush or sponge but I suppose if they`re doing a full makeup trial on someone then the brush or sponge might not always be a clean one. I`ve never had a full makeup applied in store, I hate people messing with my face and even on basic colour matches I`ve had sales staff try to sell me foundations which were way to tanned or dark so I rarely let them near me. The YSL girl once supposedly colour matched me with the then new Touche Eclat foundation and it was way too dark but she insisted it wasn`t , gave me a 7 day sample and I promptly threw it in the bin. They might think it`s cool looking tangoed but I don`t !

I had a Lancome SA once tell me that most women want a foundation darker than their natural colouring. She was shocked when I said to match it to my face exactly. It was for a 7 day trial, which I didn't like anyway. Also the sachet foundation samples never ever match my colouring, always two shades to dark as they are the most popular it seems.

Couldn't agree more - it makes me cringe when I see anyone on TV sharing implements and tools, be it cosmetics, cooking or anything. I can understand they might not always have time or facilities in a TV environment between demonstrations, but they should make it clear, that in ordinary use, you should use clean items between different people and so on.

Slightly off-topic, but it also bugs me seeing work uniforms worn in non-work places, for similar reasons. Those of you who know Brighton will know that the big ASDA store isn't all that far from the main hospital and I often see nurses uniforms in there. Mum used to be a nurse when she was younger and told me that she actually got shouted at once, in front of everyone in the dining hall, for not wearing proper attire out in public. It just wasn't done because of worries about passing germs around. Can't help but think if hospitals were as strict now, cross-infection rates would fall.

Medical uniforms worn in public is a real no no in my book but just as bad is when these uniforms are taken home and possibly washed along with the dogs blanket/plumbers overalls.

Cooking wise I hate it when cooks stick the spoon they have been stirring the pot with into the jar of mustard, packet of flour or whatever. FFS what state must the jar/packet be in the next time they go to use it.

Not a bit wonder I prefer to eat at home.

My late dad was a Chief Environmental Health Office and he was a stickler for food hygiene but his biggest bugbear was food that's been "faffed with" and never ordered anything that need to be over-handled to assemble it on the plate, under-cooked chicken was always sent back and he'd order something else. On the whole though, he knew which restaurants to avoid in our home town. It shocks me how little people know about storing food or how long it's safe to leave a buffet out before there's a bacteria risk. He also did all the cooking at home, not because he didn't trust Mum or the rest of us, but he liked cooking and mum didn't.
As pretty as food looks on cooking programmes I've picked up the no-faffing rule from my dad so it often annoys me. Plus I reckon these chefs double dip their tasting spoon which is a bit blah!

I am scrupulously clean with my makeup and watching demo's constantly has me wondering what these models really think. Mally looked ridiculous with that sponge faffing, lifting AY's fringe to dab around, total nonsense.

the fact that mally refuses to do any real makeup on air is suspicious. is it because the mally makeup is drying and cakey/chalky and would drag rather than be buttery

Latest posts

Back