Rio Beauty TSV 31/1/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm more interested in the camera option.

I've been looking for a magnifying camera/microscope product that I can attach to my laptop after seeing my daughter's friend's version that she used for a school biology project years ago. Maplin used to sell similar but they weren't Mac-compatible. I miss Maplin!

Does anyone know of such a camera that I could link to my phone or Macbook? I'd be eternally grateful.

I've just been getting my blackhead popping fix on YouTube as the Rio ones aren't ringing my bell 😂

Amazingly few people do, or they use comdengenic products. Gross, I know, but I'm guilty of not changing my pillow case enough (can add to the problem)....Some things seem such an effort at times....don't tell anyone, especially my Mom - of whom I'm still afraid. 😞

You're right there. However, you have the pores you're given. Keeping them clean does help but if you have oily skin it's a battle.

I've always had open-ish pores on my nose that can quickly fill and oxidise. Cleansing helps, as does having a 10x mirror so I can keep an eye on them. I still get a little carpet on the pore strips I occasionally use, though.

Now I'm older I'm starting with sebaceous threads on my chin as well. If I don't keep my skin oil-free they get more obvious. Not helped by my mag mirror...

Years ago I used a Bare Minerals overnight treatment that came in a tub with an annoying sponge applicator attached. This stuff was absolutely amazing. A few nights of this and my pores looked, well, they didn't! I assume the powder filled them and it was cosmetic trickery rather than an actual treatment but whatever it was it made my skin poreless.

Using that led me to a little experiment with a technique I frequently get laughed at for saying I use - the powder under foundation trick. A very light dusting with loose powder before applying foundation with a Beauty Blender sponge works wonders with staying power and a poreless finish.

I'm off to look for that BM treatment now. I'd forgotten all about it after I ran out years ago.

Just before lockdown I bought a couple of scrub soap bars from TKMaxx - absolutely great, like rubbing gravel over your face, but boy does it get the dead skin off. My skin is like a baby's bum and feels lovely when slapping on the serums/moisturiser. Cost ? £3.99 a bar. You may as well put 90 quid in the cupboard to gather dust.

I've been looking for a magnifying camera/microscope product that I can attach to my laptop after seeing my daughter's friend's version that she used for a school biology project years ago. Maplin used to sell similar but they weren't Mac-compatible. I miss Maplin!

Does anyone know of such a camera that I could link to my phone or Macbook? I'd be eternally grateful.

I've just been getting my blackhead popping fix on YouTube as the Rio ones aren't ringing my bell 😂

You're right there. However, you have the pores you're given. Keeping them clean does help but if you have oily skin it's a battle.

I've always had open-ish pores on my nose that can quickly fill and oxidise. Cleansing helps, as does having a 10x mirror so I can keep an eye on them. I still get a little carpet on the pore strips I occasionally use, though.

Now I'm older I'm starting with sebaceous threads on my chin as well. If I don't keep my skin oil-free they get more obvious. Not helped by my mag mirror...

Years ago I used a Bare Minerals overnight treatment that came in a tub with an annoying sponge applicator attached. This stuff was absolutely amazing. A few nights of this and my pores looked, well, they didn't! I assume the powder filled them and it was cosmetic trickery rather than an actual treatment but whatever it was it made my skin poreless.

Using that led me to a little experiment with a technique I frequently get laughed at for saying I use - the powder under foundation trick. A very light dusting with loose powder before applying foundation with a Beauty Blender sponge works wonders with staying power and a poreless finish.

I'm off to look for that BM treatment now. I'd forgotten all about it after I ran out years ago.

post a link when you find out.

I'm mesmerised by pore close up ming too & enjoy the You Tube ingrown hair vids. Mr B got hold of an Otiscope. We had hours of fun peering in to each others ears with it.

I fell for it and ordered. Will definitely be using the 60 day trial period and 3 easy pays. I'll be on full alert from day one ready to send it back.
Full report please.

I think these things are only fun if one is prone to mucky pores.

post a link when you find out.

I'm mesmerised by pore close up ming too & enjoy the You Tube ingrown hair vids. Mr B got hold of an Otiscope. We had hours of fun peering in to each others ears with it.

Full report please.

I think these things are only fun if one is prone to mucky pores.

I've had one of those on my useful (but not, according to my OH) wishlist for years.

He fought against a digital caliper but guess who's found it the most useful. He also got annoyed when a pulse oximeter arrived, along with a stethoscope and digital thermometer but is now suddenly checking himself out with every little twinge/cough.

These were a few of the things I'd been told about by various consultants in the hospital (not the caliper - that was my jeweler friend) I'd worked in. Some consultants were utter dicks but others I could have listened to for hours. One said a thermometer and urinalysis strips were vital for daily health and the best health insurance you could have as you get advance warning of issues before they crop up. She was a firm believer in knowing your stats before a change occurred. I was gutted to see her retire.

Just before lockdown I bought a couple of scrub soap bars from TKMaxx - absolutely great, like rubbing gravel over your face, but boy does it get the dead skin off. My skin is like a baby's bum and feels lovely when slapping on the serums/moisturiser. Cost ? £3.99 a bar. You may as well put 90 quid in the cupboard to gather dust.

A Salux-type cloth is amazing for body exfoliation. Search Japanese washcloth. The cheaper ones are great for facial use as they're not as scratchy but do just as good a job as the Salux.

I used to love Lush's scrub bars until they started costing stupid money. They also cost me a fortune to have my shower pipes sorted after leaving a coating inside them that slowed draining. Never again!

UPDATE. Rio arrived. I wanted to use it immediately of course (after cleansing). It might be great for younger skin but I now have blotches and a bruised chin. It should come with a health warning. And I used the lowest setting. Latest reviews on line have the same reaction. AVOID

UPDATE. Rio arrived. I wanted to use it immediately of course (after cleansing). It might be great for younger skin but I now have blotches and a bruised chin. It should come with a health warning. And I used the lowest setting. Latest reviews on line have the same reaction. AVOID
Oh no JFM that's not good at all :oops: I hope your skin soon recovers x

I ordered the Sarah Chapman version when it was a TSV - lovely cleanser sent with it but the appliance was useless - returned pronto ...

Good in theory product but not so good in the real world, alongside many others ...

Me too. Rubbish skin. Adult acne coming back at 66 as I have had to stop HRT. I asked the doctor via the Echo App for an acne cream with Salylic acid in it but they have not dispensed it.

I've had one of those on my useful (but not, according to my OH) wishlist for years.

He fought against a digital caliper but guess who's found it the most useful. He also got annoyed when a pulse oximeter arrived, along with a stethoscope and digital thermometer but is now suddenly checking himself out with every little twinge/cough.

These were a few of the things I'd been told about by various consultants in the hospital (not the caliper - that was my jeweler friend) I'd worked in. Some consultants were utter dicks but others I could have listened to for hours. One said a thermometer and urinalysis strips were vital for daily health and the best health insurance you could have as you get advance warning of issues before they crop up. She was a firm believer in knowing your stats before a change occurred. I was gutted to see her retire.
That's really interesting. As someone who is lucky enough to have been disgustingly healthy for six decades I have quite a casual attitude about my health & have never owned a thermometer; apparently the strip one we had for the children wasn't worth the money. After my Mr T's recent eye issues I feel that I should have more in the First Aid tin, sarcastic gift from someone years ago, than bamboo plasters & cranberry extract tablets so I've bought one, thanks alter.
PS - Finding one not made in PRC was a bit of a task but I succeeded.

That's really interesting. As someone who is lucky enough to have been disgustingly healthy for six decades I have quite a casual attitude about my health & have never owned a thermometer; apparently the strip one we had for the children wasn't worth the money. After my Mr T's recent eye issues I feel that I should have more in the First Aid tin, sarcastic gift from someone years ago, than bamboo plasters & cranberry extract tablets so I've bought one, thanks alter.
PS - Finding one not made in PRC was a bit of a task but I succeeded.

Was it German? Anything I've bought that was German-made has been worth the extra cost.

I also used to buy a fair amount of Tefal when it was made in France as it lasted well. When they moved production to China the quality took a massive nose-dive.

Me too. Rubbish skin. Adult acne coming back at 66 as I have had to stop HRT. I asked the doctor via the Echo App for an acne cream with Salylic acid in it but they have not dispensed it.

I'm on HRT and have the worst skin of my life. I didn't have this many spots back then (I admit I was very lucky). The only good thing about it is I know the spots only come just before my 'period' is due.

I did have Dalacin T lotion prescribed but I've found Liquid Gold has been more helpful. The Ordinary's Azelaic acid has worked wonders, too.

Now that Paula's Choice has UK shipping I've thought of re-ordering but her BHA didn't work that well the first time I tried it. What Salicylic acid product did you ask for?

Our surgery is dead in between flu jab clinics but the doctors really aren't interested in seeing you (or treating you if you're lucky enough to get a phone appointment!) unless you have a 'serious' condition. With all this talk about mental health, you'd think they'd recognise that some people are as seriously affected by skin issues as by other more 'serious' issues. Our surgery doesn't state exactly what they mean by 'serious' other than a heart attack or stroke.

Was it German? Anything I've bought that was German-made has been worth the extra cost.

I also used to buy a fair amount of Tefal when it was made in France as it lasted well. When they moved production to China the quality took a massive nose-dive.
It's American. My nephew lives in Chicago, after trawling various websites I found a good one, sent him a text & he's got one for me 😘

It's American. My nephew lives in Chicago, after trawling various websites I found a good one, sent him a text & he's got one for me 😘

I do like a good piece of American kit, too. I also have relatives in Chicago as well as a few other places scattered across America and Canada and have been lucky enough to be able to have visited several times. My aunt had a kitchen fitted in the 50s that would put some of our modern kitchens to shame. She had a massive GE fridge that was still working fine, along with the oven, hob, washer and dryer that went in at the same time. Her neighbours 'upgraded' to items that frequently need replacing.

I wasn't a fan of her washer, though, as it reminded me of my mum's old Hoover Twintub. The newer front-loaders are so much easier even if they do need replacing more often.

I like sarcastic gifts and really funny ones, but I'm a lot more earth-conscious these days so only buy useful sarcastic gifts ;)

A Salux-type cloth is amazing for body exfoliation. Search Japanese washcloth. The cheaper ones are great for facial use as they're not as scratchy but do just as good a job as the Salux.

I used to love Lush's scrub bars until they started costing stupid money. They also cost me a fortune to have my shower pipes sorted after leaving a coating inside them that slowed draining. Never again!
What is a digital caliper, please?
It sounds like there are a lot of tests that we should all be using to monitor ourselves.

What is a digital caliper, please?
It sounds like there are a lot of tests that we should all be using to monitor ourselves.
images.jpeg

They measure things precisely. The top jaws can measure internal parts (inside a pipe for example), the bottom external.

Latest posts

Back