Michael Perry's Garden TSV 12/04/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

On the Q TV guide page it says there is a TSV on Friday 2nd April and another on Monday 5th April. I wonder if that is right. If it is then blimey that is just plain overkill. They must be selling a lot of plants at the moment, so striking while the iron is hot I expect. Shouldn't think they will sell as much when the garden centres open. Ours is still shut. :( I love plants and don't mind watching the shows, but then I have a look online and find the plants a lot cheaper. Bank holiday weekend so I suppose the shows will go down well.

On the Q TV guide page it says there is a TSV on Friday 2nd April and another on Monday 5th April. I wonder if that is right. If it is then blimey that is just plain overkill. They must be selling a lot of plants at the moment, so striking while the iron is hot I expect. Shouldn't think they will sell as much when the garden centres open. Ours is still shut. :( I love plants and don't mind watching the shows, but then I have a look online and find the plants a lot cheaper. Bank holiday weekend so I suppose the shows will go down well.
Ours have been open & those with tea rooms have done a take away service. I went to a local one on Tuesday & spent ages talking to a lovely man in his 80s who had gone out just to see people :confused: we stood either side of shelves full of saxifrage & put the world to rights. During our chat we must have seen at least 30 people go into the shop, they also sell wonderful fruit & veg, & when I commented on how busy they were the owner said trade had never been so good because everyone wanted to celebrate this spring as a sign of hope & found the decision last year to close nurseries & waste so many plants totally appalling.

The large B&Q and Homebase are open. Thank god. Not so much for plants and gardening stuff but my youngest daughter has a new flat that she is moving into. Without a DIY store open that would have been nigh impossible.

We all like our fashion and beauty but I have to say I love the gardening hours, and apart from some things being aired ad nauseam, pics etc., I enjoy them and the descriptions, info etc.
For years before I bought this house I longed for a lovely garden which was a lot bigger. Fast forward 2010 when I bought this, and I’ll be honest I bought it for the garden. I have to have a garden/handyman since 2011because that was when my arthritis got worse I now have it all over my body. I’m in pain all the time, but this past week sleeping is very painful therefore you get up next day being totally shattered. This is where you say “oh poor wee soul” but now that I have that much longed for garden, I can’t work it so I buy from Q as well as Plants2Gardens who are terrific to deal with, and my local 2 garden centres who charge a fortune for delivery.🤓🤓😥😥😥😥👍

We all like our fashion and beauty but I have to say I love the gardening hours, and apart from some things being aired ad nauseam, pics etc., I enjoy them and the descriptions, info etc.
For years before I bought this house I longed for a lovely garden which was a lot bigger. Fast forward 2010 when I bought this, and I’ll be honest I bought it for the garden. I have to have a garden/handyman since 2011because that was when my arthritis got worse I now have it all over my body. I’m in pain all the time, but this past week sleeping is very painful therefore you get up next day being totally shattered. This is where you say “oh poor wee soul” but now that I have that much longed for garden, I can’t work it so I buy from Q as well as Plants2Gardens who are terrific to deal with, and my local 2 garden centres who charge a fortune for delivery.🤓🤓😥😥😥😥👍
You enjoy your garden and the joy an open space gives specially now. I live in an area where a lot of families live in Mansion Flats which are lucky to have a balcony. The flats are beautiful but most don't even have a communal outdoor area. It was so sad that the children had nowhere to play in the first lockdown as the swings etc were closed. We dont have much green open areas either.

I do cheat with the gardening shows: I watch them then pop into B&Q and Homebase for the plants. If you wait a bit they get reduced to make room for more stuff.

I enjoy garden shows on QVC but no longer buy plants they are outrageously expensive that includes the gnomes stuff did get most plants from ebay and never been disappointed

It’s all academic for me now as they no long send plants to us.

When into Homebase yesterday and apart from a row of gawdy plastic hanging pots of pansies there was nothing to buy. Nowhere else opened and no date yet to look forward to.

Most of my seeds have now germinated so if all goes well I’ll have enough to do me for my summer pots although I’m hoping HB/BQ will eventually have hanging begonias.

First of tulips are starting to open and another 10 pots of various colours and shapes to come so I’m happy enough for now.

Michael Perry mentioned last week that a TSV over Easter was dahlias. Don't know if that's the Friday or Monday. I like dahlias. We have a fair few. They flower right up to November. Took some lovely photos last year just before Christmas and they were flowering their socks off.

Boffy I do the same as you, watch Q then try and find the plants cheaper. I do love my garden. My seeds are busy germinating. My apricot begonia corms have started to sprout already. And a quick PS. my frogs are spawning. Been busy at the bottom of the garden recently. 😃

Michael Perry mentioned last week that a TSV over Easter was dahlias. Don't know if that's the Friday or Monday. I like dahlias. We have a fair few. They flower right up to November. Took some lovely photos last year just before Christmas and they were flowering their socks off.

Boffy I do the same as you, watch Q then try and find the plants cheaper. I do love my garden. My seeds are busy germinating. My apricot begonia corms have started to sprout already. And a quick PS. my frogs are spawning. Been busy at the bottom of the garden recently. 😃
Well done you! All my verbena, Trailing daisy type seeds, 3 petunias ( will complain and get anather pack) and hundreds of lobelia are all up. I hope that T&M have some apricot shades trailing begonias. My and my mums favourite plants for summer

I love the apricot shades begonias. Have had mine for years. Sometimes one or two go squishy and are no good, so I just replace the dead ones. I hope you get heaps of flowers from your seeds Boffy. I bought some aquilegia seeds, have planted them, but it says on the packet to sprinkle vermiculite (I think verbena need vermiculite as well) on top and they can take up to 5 months to germinate. :cautious: Should have put my glasses on and read the instructions before I bought them, anyway have bought some vermiculite and am going to have a go.

The apricot begonias are on T&M website and many other sites as well. I need to replace 2 this year, so have bought 5 jumbo plugs from T&M, not their website but on Groupon. Could have bought loads more, but only needed a couple. Pity you can't just buy the number you need. Good luck with your seedlings.

My begonia apricot shades tubers i got from IW are doing nothing. Usually at least one or two are starting to sprout but none of them are. Maybe they should be inside and not in the greenhouse?

CC

My begonia apricot shades tubers i got from IW are doing nothing. Usually at least one or two are starting to sprout but none of them are. Maybe they should be inside and not in the greenhouse?

CC
I prefer Begonia "plants" compared to the tubers. The tubers are hit and miss. They need light and a warm sunny window. Never allow them to dry out. But dont overwater the tubers. make sure the compost is damp! I just ordered some Begonia plants 24 plug plants for £9.99 from T&M and 36 Perennial plug plants for 8.99 all for £20.97 inc post there was a small discount at checkout

CandyCane how long have your tubers been potted up?

I love the apricot shades begonias. Have had mine for years. Sometimes one or two go squishy and are no good, so I just replace the dead ones. I hope you get heaps of flowers from your seeds Boffy. I bought some aquilegia seeds, have planted them, but it says on the packet to sprinkle vermiculite (I think verbena need vermiculite as well) on top and they can take up to 5 months to germinate. :cautious: Should have put my glasses on and read the instructions before I bought them, anyway have bought some vermiculite and am going to have a go.

The apricot begonias are on T&M website and many other sites as well. I need to replace 2 this year, so have bought 5 jumbo plugs from T&M, not their website but on Groupon. Could have bought loads more, but only needed a couple. Pity you can't just buy the number you need. Good luck with your seedlings.
All the verbena seeds are up already took a couple of weeks. No vermiculite needed just covered them in compost. Aquilegia are beautiful never grown them from seed before. I never knew Groupon sold plants wow x

we must all be growing the same this year. I only have one aquilegia shoot so far and only a couple verbena but the cosmos are all well up so much so I’m afraid they will be too leggy by the time they are ready to pot on.

I have a few shoots of a black pansy I am trying. I was looking for white to mix with it but didn’t find anything suitable

I have another 3 or 4 but off hand I can’t remember what they are and the seed packets are in the shed.

Well I bought Begonias direct from T&M last year and they took ages to show any sign of growth, so slow I thought they were duff. They were disappointing when they did flower, I had better flowers on the leaf cuttings I took the previous year.

Latest posts

Back