Michael Perry's Garden TSV 12/04/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

we must all be growing the same this year. I only have one aquilegia shoot so far and only a couple verbena but the cosmos are all well up so much so I’m afraid they will be too leggy by the time they are ready to pot on.

I have a few shoots of a black pansy I am trying. I was looking for white to mix with it but didn’t find anything suitable

I have another 3 or 4 but off hand I can’t remember what they are and the seed packets are in the shed.
I have planted some black pansies as well. Only 2 sprouting up to now. The OH likes the black plants. Got some black petunias last year and black million bells and put them in a tub with an orange geranium and orange bidens (think it was bee dance or something similar ) and the tub looked fab. The orange and black looked amazing.

I have planted some black pansies as well. Only 2 sprouting up to now. The OH likes the black plants. Got some black petunias last year and black million bells and put them in a tub with an orange geranium and orange bidens (think it was bee dance or something similar ) and the tub looked fab. The orange and black looked amazing.
That sounds glorious. may well have to try this combo!

I prefer Begonia "plants" compared to the tubers. The tubers are hit and miss. They need light and a warm sunny window. Never allow them to dry out. But dont overwater the tubers. make sure the compost is damp! I just ordered some Begonia plants 24 plug plants for £9.99 from T&M and 36 Perennial plug plants for 8.99 all for £20.97 inc post there was a small discount at checkout

CandyCane how long have your tubers been potted up?
Must be two weeks or more. I usually buy tubers from De Jager and never had a problem with them sprouting but these ones aren't doing anything.

CC

They are in my greenhouse which isn't heated but does get any sun that appears. I'll maybe bring them in and see how they go inside. I've always wanted those baskets dripping with apricot begonias but it's just never happened. I did have an amazing basket last year with red/white/blue petunias in it and also my giant fuschias in the window box were a real talking point.

CC

Just came back from B&Q regarding the extremely low germination of my petunias and he was shocked that anyone would ask for seed replacements lol...He gave them to me though so will start again. They are F1 hybrids so very expensive seeds.

They are in my greenhouse which isn't heated but does get any sun that appears. I'll maybe bring them in and see how they go inside. I've always wanted those baskets dripping with apricot begonias but it's just never happened. I did have an amazing basket last year with red/white/blue petunias in it and also my giant fuschias in the window box were a real talking point.

CC
if the greenhouse is in full sun that is south or at the very least west it should get enough sun. Not sure about how warm your greenhouse is. Maybe you could wrap them in some bubble wrap or put on a sunny windowsill indoors. I don't have a green house sadly! Lucky you!

This is one of my Begonia Apricot shades baskets. The lobelias have not come out yet in this picture!

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_375.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_375.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 75
We're getting sun tomorrow and tuesday allegedly and my garden is south facing. I'll leave them until the sun's over and then bring them in if they still look dead. I don't usually struggle with courgettes and squash either but my seeds haven't done anything. Broad beans though are like jack's beanstalks.

CC

Attachments

• T&M TSV 1.jpg
    T&M TSV 1.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 80
  • T&M TSV 2.jpg
    T&M TSV 2.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 87
  • T&M TSV 3.jpg
    T&M TSV 3.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 83
  • T&M TSV 4.jpg
    T&M TSV 4.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 87
Lovely day here spent morning clearing up and had sandwiches outside although didn’t sit too long. Makes me feel things might be on the upturn.

My mum loved Dahlias but I never took to them. She would spend hours looking after them and they still flopped

I love aquilegias, they're promiscuous little things & I get rid of most of the seed heads because they can take over. There's a large plant with white flowers that's half way along the side border & at dusk it shines like moonlight. Today's been really warm, the skimmia has burst into flower & the fragrance is sublime. Spring has sprung 🥳

I just recently bought those night sky type petunias from de jager, I think they were on a one time only. I've had them before and they were really gorgeous. I'd rather buy from DeJ rather than T&M as I've had lots of disasters from T&M. Rare you get rubbish from the lovely George.

CC

Latest posts

Back