Dear Lord...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Reading the Business Section of a daily n/paper (yes I really do), there they were, the gruesome twosome, pictured with the usual open mouthed grin, Davina McGob & Ambitious Holden.

The reason ? they have both been signed up by N Brown - a branch of JD Williams to be the face of the brand. - to target the 45 - 65 year old woman.

Am I the only one sick to death of this small cabal of slebs - the others include Holly Willoughby, Ruthless, Tess Daly, who advertisers believe are so ****** popular that we'll buy anything that has their name attached to it ? I wonder how many more thousands will be added to their bank balance for doing sod all. Its time the Advertising Agencies woke up and started using real people, like perhaps a Porter from a hospital, a bus driver, and A & E nurse etc. let THEM have the opportunity to earn a few quid extra being a model for a brand, instead of this talentless bunch who could afford to buy a street of houses with the proceeds of a couple of campaigns.

Reading the Business Section of a daily n/paper (yes I really do), there they were, the gruesome twosome, pictured with the usual open mouthed grin, Davina McGob & Ambitious Holden.

The reason ? they have both been signed up by N Brown - a branch of JD Williams to be the face of the brand. - to target the 45 - 65 year old woman.

Am I the only one sick to death of this small cabal of slebs - the others include Holly Willoughby, Ruthless, Tess Daly, who advertisers believe are so ****** popular that we'll buy anything that has their name attached to it ? I wonder how many more thousands will be added to their bank balance for doing sod all. Its time the Advertising Agencies woke up and started using real people, like perhaps a Porter from a hospital, a bus driver, and A & E nurse etc. let THEM have the opportunity to earn a few quid extra being a model for a brand, instead of this talentless bunch who could afford to buy a street of houses with the proceeds of a couple of campaigns.

I like it when Zelbs advertise stuff. I just don't buy into their rubbish story lines and bovine extrement rubbish sales blurb. My Nanny McFee does a great dance as she knows she's not on duty.

Ms Holden had a lovely face before she decided to turn it to vinyl & may do a good pose. Ms McCall has all the grace of a clothes airer & always makes me think of a baby bird, a bit like this one, miaow!

I certainly wouldn't suddenly start buying stuff from a catalogue or whatever because a celeb has been wheeled in to front the brand, it would put me off more than anything. I totally understand brands need to re-vitalise, but I think I'd like to see prices go down, special offers, "guest" models chosen from the hard working general public..rather that scrawny old pair, who are already totally over-exposed and have more money than they know what to do with! Sod that!

It certainly doesn't work with me but it must be good for sales somehow, otherwise these brands wouldn't use them. Strange old world we live in. How did we get by without all this stuff in the past?
I started all my Q stuff when I'd been through a bit of hell, then got a flat and a telly. I lived alone and somehow I got sucked in and it was a bit of company and then a lot of shopping. Did I need any of it? No. Then it all became a habit. I'm nowhere near as bad now and I'm quite shocked at how much money I've spent in the past.

CC

It certainly doesn't work with me but it must be good for sales somehow, otherwise these brands wouldn't use them. Strange old world we live in. How did we get by without all this stuff in the past?
That's a good question; there have always been presenters on TV, I know AH was originally an actress, but I can't think of any who became models when they were middle aged. Someone must view them as role models & imagine that the hoi polloi aspire to be like them.

My MIL used to have a catalogue back in the 60/70/80 Freeman’s I think, and I’m sure even then a different celeb would have a range each season - I vaguely remember Lulu.

I notice that now they have the young dancers from Strictly which would appeal to young teens.

I remember Joan Collins doing a stint for Littlewoods! They now now a "Michelle Keegan" range of clothing and household stuff - As one would imagine, it's all very "Footballer's wives"...lots of pinks and gold, fluffy slippers, blingy dressing gowns etc, but the difference is that this range is tucked in amongst all the other stuff and she's not being promoted as "The face of the brand" - so she can stay!
How long before Mrs "teach your grandmother how to suck eggs" Hinch will come to one of the catalogues or to Q?
How did we ever manage without these people?!

Seeing their fizogs would prevent me from buying.

Especially you will NEVER see the slabs wearing or using whatever endorsements they plug.

All fur coat and no knickers …
No I very much doubt whether you'd see Holden and McCall top to toe in JD Williams any time soon, it seems pointless. People aren't interested in stuff these people are paid to promote. They're more likely to be influenced by the stuff they wear off their own bats. How many times do we see this sort of crap? "Amanda Holden stuns, sizzles, wows (you choose) in backless summer dress, and guess what? It's from Zara and it's only £50!" and lo and behold, the next day it's sold out!
Businesses that need to revitalise spend their money on revitalising their ranges, not chucking it on Davina's spindly coat rack frame, or squeezing Vorderman's pneumatic fake arse into it - it convinces no one!

Ah the wonderous days of glossy paper catalogues thick enough to use as doorstops and a new one delivered twice yearly.
My Mum ran 2 of them, Great Universal and Kays and her customers would have little paper cards she`d initial when they came to pay their ten shillings or whatever it was. Mum worked part time in a factory at that time and had many of her colleagues as customers but not all of them paid as they should have done. Mum took it personally and hated arrears on anything, she always paid promptly, had a thrift tin she`d divvy her wages and Dad`s wages into and the coal man, gas bill, mortgage and other bills were always settled on time so when any colleague gave her the sob story why they couldn`t pay that week`s catalogue payment my Mum always put it in herself. She always thought it reflected badly on her if she didn`t send in the full amount each week. It was the way she was.
My kid brother and I would be given old catalogues to browse, cut up or play with. My brother Tom would sit and giggle at the pictures of ladies in Miss Mary bras and girdles and I`d draw a picture of a house and stick cut out photos of furniture, curtains and other household items on it. I`d drool over pretty shoes but the only shoes my Mum ever bought me out of it were Tuf lace ups which had to do for school and home time and school holiday meant plastic sunshine sandals from Woolies or canvas pumps and in Winter it was hand me down wellies once worn by my big sis.
Nearer to Christmas, Mum`s catalogues became wishing books. Tom and I would sit on the sofa browsing the toy pages and all Mum could could hear was "I wish I had this, wow I wish I had that and so on ". She must have been listening because lo and behold, on Christmas morning, one and only one, of our wishes would be there and bulked out with colouring books, selection boxes, jigsaws etc. Apart from her underwear I can never remember Mum buying anything for herself from the catalogue, it was always something essential for one of us 4 kids or something for the house.
She ran the catalogues for years and until her older two children were married and had left home and we younger two children were teenagers and she was able to work full time and there was more money coming into the house. Her and Dad were rarities for the area, they`d taken out a mortgage on a house just after the war, the mortgage was £350 and until then they`d lived in lodgings since their wedding in 1941 and had rented a bedroom and a downstairs room from an elderly couple.
Theirs was the only owner occupied terraced house in the street for many a year, the others were rented but for the 1940`s and with such low wages, their mortgage was a big commitment especially when the house started to need major repairs or updating and their 4 kids began arriving. Mum had my older brother and sister close together and then it was 7 years before she had me and my kid brother close together but she regularly told us that neither of us were planned but not in a nasty way.
As for the catalogues, they kept us quiet for many an hour and we`d take what was left of them to school after we`d butchered them with scissors and they`d be used for paper mache made with the sticky white glue which you`d deliberately get on your fingers so you could have the fun of peeling it off later which ranked equally alongside popping tar bubbles with a lolly stick inbetween the cobbles on our street. That was until you got tar on your socks or clothes and a really good rollocking off your Mum !

Latest posts

Back