The Huntley - where has she gone ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sorry for the rant !
The idea of being a “sacrificial lamb” really angers me. I’m 65 and still have a long list of things to do, places to go & people to see. Thing is at my age I’m potentially running out of time to accomplish my desires. Health, energy and finances (lack of all 3) will sooner or later confine me to a smaller life. People 30/40 years younger have time on their side, to catch up on the last 18 months and still look forward to a long future.
I'm the obverse of your coin EM; have always had an absolute horror of getting old & dreaded turning 60. As long as all the loose ends were fairly tidy I'd take a bullet.

Gail Samways by any chance? I would not eat anything she cooks as it looks awful, in fact some of it looks like slop. I don't know why they don't have the delightful Simon Brown demo'ing food and kitchen things as I would be far more likely to buy.

CC
Oh yes, he is delightful. He’s one of my favourite guests.

Brave words Twilight. The thought of old age is not pleasant (I’m knocking 67) and it demands a lot of courage but taking a bullet needs even more courage. I can’t say it hasn’t crossed my mind but could I do it? Not sure.

Well, at 73 its come home to me more and more that my 'time' could be up anytime within the next few years. Ok I could live for another 20, but I'm realistic. 10 years ago I never gave it a thought, but once I turned 70 and yes I have a young outlook, but there it is, niggling away in the background. I've even started downsizing in this house - sorting drawers out, reducing the amount of photos that nobody will want, offloading the amount of china I have - I no longer need enough to feed a regiment, knick knacks reduced to a favoured few, all so that when I'm no longer here the house clearance won't be too much for my brothers to deal with.

Well, at 73 its come home to me more and more that my 'time' could be up anytime within the next few years. Ok I could live for another 20, but I'm realistic. 10 years ago I never gave it a thought, but once I turned 70 and yes I have a young outlook, but there it is, niggling away in the background. I've even started downsizing in this house - sorting drawers out, reducing the amount of photos that nobody will want, offloading the amount of china I have - I no longer need enough to feed a regiment, knick knacks reduced to a favoured few, all so that when I'm no longer here the house clearance won't be too much for my brothers to deal with.
That’s my intention brissles, a good clear out this holiday. Coming from a family of hoarders I know it won’t be easy, between my diminished energy levels and sentiment. This pandemic and health issues risks have brought the need into sharp focus as I don’t want my DD trawling through a dreaded house clearance should anything happen to me.

73 is not old anymore. People are still living a good life in their 90's.

A friend turned 70 last week. She is totally horrified, now apart from her younger brother her family died much younger. I am the only one to live this long, she has said a few times. Followed by I don't want to be 70 that is old! She asks me how old I am 63, but keeps thinking it is older, then oh yes you are.

I keep saying well I would be very glad to reach 70. Not sure but perhaps she thinks of 70 as it was years back? These grey hair women living in their slippers going to the shops in them and headscarves etc. Things have changed older women are glamorous now. Better health care means diseases that crippled them can be treated and prevention.

As for the track and trace thing. I know someone who has a vulnerable daughter and last year she in lockdown was very careful. So a few months ago she got a text from T and T saying 'You are now safe to stop self-isolating.' She was freaking out as she never got the text saying she should be self-isolating as she had been in contact with someone.

My friend's mother is 98 and has only just been moved, almost literally kicking and screaming, into the care system, which has meant that for the past ten years my friend's life has had to revolve around her own family and work, and shopping and keeping an eye on someone who would not have help outside the family at any cost. My own mother lived to a very ripe old age but for a few years before she died, kept saying she didn't want to be here. Gone too soon or lingering too long? Ours is not to choose.

But we're here right now so make the most of it. Every day counts.

Track and trace - what's the point? So many don't have the app or even a smart phone to put it on.

I don't consider myself old but I'm way past 50 and time creeps on. Who wants to get old, but the alternative is not to my liking either!!

Thankfully my mum is in very good health but she has always said she would never go into a care home and if she got a terminal illness she has a plan. All her affairs (of the financial sort, or maybe more as I'd put nothing past her :LOL:) are in a cabinet. Clearing out her house of wool and fabric and god knows what would take a century!

CC

Mum sold her large-ish house when she was 80, and bought a flat in a retirement “community” a few minutes walk from me. She loved every minute of her life there until she died age 92. When she moved we took the opportunity to sort her belongings, clothes and paperwork as she had less storage space in the flat.

this made it simple to manage when I sorted her “estate” after she died.

If I reach the stage where I’m still independent but would benefit from living in a “community” with support if I need it, I will seriously consider moving.

As for the track and trace thing. I know someone who has a vulnerable daughter and last year she in lockdown was very careful. So a few months ago she got a text from T and T saying 'You are now safe to stop self-isolating.' She was freaking out as she never got the text saying she should be self-isolating as she had been in contact with someone.
Considering very little was known about the way this virus behaved those advised to isolate/shield appear to have been chosen at random. I've known people with cancer, heart conditions, lupus, blood disorders, cystic fibrosis, ms & a number of students who has severely disabled siblings & none were ever told to lock themselves away during flu season, not touch their post for several days after delivery & not hug others.

A friend turned 70 last week. She is totally horrified, now apart from her younger brother her family died much younger. I am the only one to live this long, she has said a few times. Followed by I don't want to be 70 that is old! She asks me how old I am 63, but keeps thinking it is older, then oh yes you are.

I keep saying well I would be very glad to reach 70. Not sure but perhaps she thinks of 70 as it was years back? These grey hair women living in their slippers going to the shops in them and headscarves etc. Things have changed older women are glamorous now. Better health care means diseases that crippled them can be treated and prevention.
I can see what you're saying & it applies to others but not me. I can't understand the fixation with being pleased that average life expectancy gets longer & think the health professionals should promote living better, not longer.

Mum sold her large-ish house when she was 80, and bought a flat in a retirement “community” a few minutes walk from me. She loved every minute of her life there until she died age 92. When she moved we took the opportunity to sort her belongings, clothes and paperwork as she had less storage space in the flat.

this made it simple to manage when I sorted her “estate” after she died.

If I reach the stage where I’m still independent but would benefit from living in a “community” with support if I need it, I will seriously consider moving.
I admire those who make that decision; I love our home & it's the shell to my snail 🐌without it I'd be a slug.

I’m the opposite- like that advert- it’s only bricks and mortar and I would move in a heartbeat especially now that our house isn’t really suitable for us now. My star sign is cancer which is supposed to be the homemaker but I go against everything sentimental. I love interior design but it can always be replicated elsewhere.

I think I may be nomadic at heart but Mr L isn’t at all so that ship has sailed now!

I can see what you're saying & it applies to others but not me. I can't understand the fixation with being pleased that average life expectancy gets longer & think the health professionals should promote living better, not longer.
Living better is absolutely the goal. At any age, healthy living, however you define it, is the thing to strive for, imo.

73 is not old anymore. People are still living a good life in their 90's.
Yes Biffy I am 73 next and apart from my knees getting a bit old ,according to my gp on a phone call re my prescription review, I am extremely healthy. My dad was 95 when he died his mother was 99 my mum and her mum were both 84, none of them were really suffering from ill health.

Latest posts

Back