Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

emma is saying revues are saying the shield watch feels like a Rolex. :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1st revue on the IW site is 2 star

"Cheap look and feel"

Oh wait here's a 5 star revue, i don't know whether to feel sorry for the revuer or laugh at their idiocy.

"I buy to keep in boxes mint condition and not to wear. More of a small investment rather than show so i have no real input to offer"

Small investment? It'll be worthless in a few years you ****** idiot. ;):ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Joking aside, can you imagine someone getting their 20 x Swan & Edgar watch collection valued 30 years from now in the hope it's going to contribute to their retirement fund?!? Again, joking aside, this is why I do agree they're basically charlatans when it comes to selling the watches. Yes, some of them are of decent quality and might appreciate in value over the years. But, for the majority of them, as you say they'll be worthless in years to come ... as in worthless. So spouting garbage about 'insure it!' and the ridiculous RRPs being realistic exposes IW for what they are.

Joking aside, can you imagine someone getting their 20 x Swan & Edgar watch collection valued 30 years from now in the hope it's going to contribute to their retirement fund?!? Again, joking aside, this is why I do agree they're basically charlatans when it comes to selling the watches. Yes, some of them are of decent quality and might appreciate in value over the years. But, for the majority of them, as you say they'll be worthless in years to come ... as in worthless. So spouting garbage about 'insure it!' and the ridiculous RRPs being realistic exposes IW for what they are.

And more. ;)

Trying to remember every watch I’ve seen on IW and trying to guess what might have a chance appreciating, and honestly can’t think of one.

A very, very few watches, from a very, very few select brands actually appreciate over time, and you won’t find those on IW, there are some which will depreciate and hold their original value at a much slower rate, usually mid level luxury Swiss and German brands, but the overwhelming majority will, in reality be worthless in thirty years’ time, heck some of IW’s will be worthless as an investment in a few months, some in days even. :ROFLMAO:

One important issue which IW never touches on, especially if IW is implying future monetary gain etc or future worth, and especially for the automatic watches, is that at some point they will need servicing to keep running smoothly.
I recently got a Swiss quartz watch, and it wasn’t an expensive watch but has a lot of sentimental value, serviced as it had stopped working, needed a replacement movement and that was £140. Now can you imagine having to pay more for a service on one of these horological masterpieces, bought from IW a few years back, than the watch originally cost or even what the watch is worth today. Apart from Reynold’s watches and a few of Noddy’s watches, basically IW watches, from a financial point of view, are throw away watches, ie cheaper to bin and buy new than service.

So you've invested in 20, £100 Swan & Edgar watches, that cost you £2000 to buy, and service costs of a probably similar amount in say 20 years time, total spent £4,000. In thirty years time you cash in to add to your pension fund and you get a whopping, being generous here saying you'll get a £10 for each, £200. Yeah that's some investment. :ROFLMAO:

There's another group you forgot to mention, those that believe IW prices are a bargain, buy loads and then head over to ebay to make a profit, only they end up making an instant loss. ;) :ROFLMAO:

And more. ;)

Trying to remember every watch I’ve seen on IW and trying to guess what might have a chance appreciating, and honestly can’t think of one.

A very, very few watches, from a very, very few select brands actually appreciate over time, and you won’t find those on IW, there are some which will depreciate and hold their original value at a much slower rate, usually mid level luxury Swiss and German brands, but the overwhelming majority will, in reality be worthless in thirty years’ time, heck some of IW’s will be worthless as an investment in a few months, some in days even. :ROFLMAO:

One important issue which IW never touches on, especially if IW is implying future monetary gain etc or future worth, and especially for the automatic watches, is that at some point they will need servicing to keep running smoothly.
I recently got a Swiss quartz watch, and it wasn’t an expensive watch but has a lot of sentimental value, serviced as it had stopped working, needed a replacement movement and that was £140. Now can you imagine having to pay more for a service on one of these horological masterpieces, bought from IW a few years back, than the watch originally cost or even what the watch is worth today. Apart from Reynold’s watches and a few of Noddy’s watches, basically IW watches, from a financial point of view, are throw away watches, ie cheaper to bin and buy new than service.

So you've invested in 20, £100 Swan & Edgar watches, that cost you £2000 to buy, and service costs of a probably similar amount in say 20 years time, total spent £4,000. In thirty years time you cash in to add to your pension fund and you get a whopping, being generous here saying you'll get a £10 for each, £200. Yeah that's some investment. :ROFLMAO:

There's another group you forgot to mention, those that believe IW prices are a bargain, buy loads and then head over to ebay to make a profit, only they end up making an instant loss. ;) :ROFLMAO:
Let's be honest about it, very few things sold on selly telly full stop will ever appreciate in value. It's the same on channels like TJC when they say 'get it valued' if I had the money to burn, as an experiment I'd buy 10 x items from them ... items they say should cost hundreds if not thousands more ... and I'd take them to get valued. Now, maybe the valuations would pleasantly surprise e.g. 'You only paid £99.99 for this ring?!? It's worth at least £600!!!'

However I have my doubts the conversation would go quite like that ;) I'd then send my independent valuations back to the selly telly channel for comment. Do you think I'd hear back??? I probably would, with some guff about 'Valuations can vary widely, why not use our service, DodgyValuations Ltd.'

Yeah we've talked about it a few times, whether watches or other items, the 'you need to check-out now cause these are gonna go!' rhetoric is meaningless 99% of the time as we know x days or at most weeks later the item will be back (or a very similar item) at the same or even cheaper price! Okay granted with watches, especially those of a limited run, it's a bit different but as you say, in the following days you often see watches still on the website when they were supposedly 'about to sell out.' Funny that ...

Probably a lot more than a few. ;):ROFLMAO:

As you say, even if it does manage to sell out on that show or next day before you had a chance to buy, another chance will come along very shortly.

And more. ;)

A very, very few watches, from a very, very few select brands actually appreciate over time, and you won’t find those on IW, there are some which will depreciate and hold their original value at a much slower

Ah, you are forgetting the special finish on the Gamages/Swan & Edgar's movement components. To remove the need to service the watch. That's what they have both claimed anyway🤔🤭
Suspect they might have concocted a little story to explain the dog rough finish of the movement 🤭😂
Always amuses me when they spout this rubbish 😁

That ugly orange elife bike is surely not selling. ok it's been on sale for at least a week but Mason just came out with another of his garbage "he wants but can't buy till end of show" stories.

Mason saying he wants one, but he can't buy one till it's been offered to the viewers first, so he has to wait till the end of the show and hope that there is some left. :ROFLMAO:

As i say it's been offered to the viewers for over a week so no reason Mason couldn't have ordered it during that time.

Yeah Mike, it's just not your style to mislead or lie, huh? :rolleyes:

Mike getting desperate, if everybody that has it in their basket checked out then there wouldn't be many left.

No need to worry Mike, it's not even limited stock yet, so i'm pretty confident you'll get one. :ROFLMAO:

Now he's imploring and encouraging folks to check out before they're gone, no chance he's getting one he said.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
That ugly orange elife bike is surely not selling. ok it's been on sale for at least a week but Mason just came out with another of his garbage "he wants but can't buy till end of show" stories.

Mason saying he wants one, but he can't buy one till it's been offered to the viewers first, so he has to wait till the end of the show and hope that there is some left. :ROFLMAO:

As i say it's been offered to the viewers for over a week so no reason Mason couldn't have ordered it during that time.

Yeah Mike, it's just not your style to mislead or lie, huh? :rolleyes:
This is where viewers just need to stop and engage their brains. Imagine ALL employees of IW (including freelancers etc) were prohibited from buying ANY of the items up for sale. All you'd need to do, if an employee, is get someone you know who doesn't work for IW to buy the item in question then recompense them.

They don't half spout some guff.

Mike getting desperate, if everybody that has it in their basket checked out then there wouldn't be many left.

No need to worry Mike, it's not even limited stock yet, so i'm pretty confident you'll get one. :ROFLMAO:

Now he's imploring and encouraging folks to check out before they're gone, no chance he's getting one he said.:rolleyes:
Again this is where viewers just need to apply a little logic. The way presenters constantly say 'you MUST check out your baskets!' implies everything they're selling is selling fast and nearing limited stock/sellout, hence the urgency. However, we know most of the time items don't sell out. Indeed, they're often still for sale x days or more later. So, we can reasonably conclude in the majority of cases, there is absolutely NO urgency whatsoever for viewers to check out their baskets ;)

I wonder if they (the presenters) realise it makes them look like the fools. Day in day out (same product) 'these are gonna go, check OUT!!!'

Deary deary me ...

This is where viewers just need to stop and engage their brains. Imagine ALL employees of IW (including freelancers etc) were prohibited from buying ANY of the items up for sale. All you'd need to do, if an employee, is get someone you know who doesn't work for IW to buy the item in question then recompense them.

They don't half spout some guff.

yeah there are simple ways around it if it were true, but a few of the presenters have asked folks like Producer/director of the show to order for them during shows and last week Sally actually had phone in hand ordering items during a show, so his story about not being allowed either doesn't hold water or is true and the other presenters are lying when pretending to order.

Again this is where viewers just need to apply a little logic. The way presenters constantly say 'you MUST check out your baskets!' implies everything they're selling is selling fast and nearing limited stock/sellout, hence the urgency. However, we know most of the time items don't sell out. Indeed, they're often still for sale x days or more later. So, we can reasonably conclude in the majority of cases, there is absolutely NO urgency whatsoever for viewers to check out their baskets ;)

I wonder if they (the presenters) realise it makes them look like the fools. Day in day out (same product) 'these are gonna go, check OUT!!!'

Deary deary me ...

You keep mentioning viewers and brains/logic, sadly think those qualities are in short supply with IW viewers. ;) :ROFLMAO:

I don't know about others here, but me personally this check out your baskets every 5 secs would make me more determined NOT to order something rather than make me order quicker. For me it's a bit like when you go into a shop and a salesperson is asking if they can help you before you've had a chance to look around, my usual response is no thanks and turn about and leave, hate pushy sales folk.

I did a business course, back in 99, when me and a friend were going to start our own business. First thing they said, do not ask if I can help you, that puts pressure on the customer, who 9 times out of 10, would turn around and walk away, as they would feel pressurised into buying.

Gravit8 machine on again and Bullshit Peter Simon is saying it was only launched at 18-45 this evening, but it was previously on Wednesday this week.
Lies Lies Lies again.

Not much info on Gravit8 online, which is strange, just the Ideal World link and an old one to ebay, but i'm sure it was said on the Wednesday's show with Mason that it was launched earlier this year and it was just back in stock now. That would tie in with the old link to ebay, as that is to IW's cut-price-outlet on ebay store, where they sell stuff returned from customers, so probably sold one on ebay that had been returned from earlier this year, would be way to soon to be a return from Wednesday.;)

Latest posts

Back