Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I caught part of the All In a Box roast dinner in the post presentation the other day - Not the gristly part, I hope..

From what I did see, you could choose a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings, or a roast chicken one with similar, delivered to you in a chilled box, with some kind of musical playlist included - which didn’t seem the most easy fit in the world. Now, I may be slightly out on the cost - but I seem to recall it being around £55.

The idea appeared to be that everything had already been cooked, and your role was to reheat it when ready. Now, I don’t know about you, but roast dinners already cooked then reheated are not the most appetising proposition in general. And for £55, I would want something sublimely enticing to eat.

Break it down.. Even a corn fed chicken from a supermarket can be picked up for about £8? Pigs in blankets I’m guessing.. but, maybe £3 for a pack? And the various veg/herbs/gravy that goes with the product - in a supermarket (let’s be generous) maybe £10 for everything? That gets me to about £21 so far. Even if I did want a selection of paid for digital tracks to go with my roast dinner, which is highly unlikely - I’m not sure I could come anywhere close to £55 in total.

I wonder how many of these they actually sold? I had a quick look at the website and I can’t even see the product on there any longer, Which suggests to me either it sold out completely or didn’t sell at all.
I know the guy who owned the company kept on saying order by Thursday to get it for Friday

I wonder how they work out the shifts.

Earlier you had Jess Woods on Create and Craft selling Die Sets, and you had Mark Reyes on IW, selling hair growth stuff, wouldnt it have been better if there slots were flipped, but maybe Mark doesnt wanna do craft, while Jess is on there often when somebody is sick.

I notice Peter V and Mark are selling there Bondage leather chairs now

I caught part of the All In a Box roast dinner in the post presentation the other day - Not the gristly part, I hope..

From what I did see, you could choose a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings, or a roast chicken one with similar, delivered to you in a chilled box, with some kind of musical playlist included - which didn’t seem the most easy fit in the world. Now, I may be slightly out on the cost - but I seem to recall it being around £55.

The idea appeared to be that everything had already been cooked, and your role was to reheat it when ready. Now, I don’t know about you, but roast dinners already cooked then reheated are not the most appetising proposition in general. And for £55, I would want something sublimely enticing to eat.

Break it down.. Even a corn fed chicken from a supermarket can be picked up for about £8? Pigs in blankets I’m guessing.. but, maybe £3 for a pack? And the various veg/herbs/gravy that goes with the product - in a supermarket (let’s be generous) maybe £10 for everything? That gets me to about £21 so far. Even if I did want a selection of paid for digital tracks to go with my roast dinner, which is highly unlikely - I’m not sure I could come anywhere close to £55 in total.

I wonder how many of these they actually sold? I had a quick look at the website and I can’t even see the product on there any longer, Which suggests to me either it sold out completely or didn’t sell at all.
That's a ridiculous price. I'm not confident in the kitchen but a roast dinner is pretty easy and doesn't take long. I do cheat and buy my Yorkshire Puddings. As for digital music to go with it - what's that all about? I've got Spotify so I don't need that.

Yes, it was all very odd.

Of course, I appreciate the guy has to set a price that covers things like delivery, premises and employing people if he does, to make the meals, but what market is he trying to get to? There may well be people with more money than sense who prefer somebody else to make a roast dinner for them for a high fee. But I don’t think those people are going to be found in shopping television audiences.

My own suspicion is Ideal World is well short in some product areas at present - mainly due to the fact of the amount of times we see certain products (Jenny??) reappearing after reappearing. I wonder if they offer low-cost deals to people like the young entrepreneur with the roast dinners to appear on the channel, just to fill some airtime rather than with expectation of selling large amounts?

In fairness to the young guy, he presented himself really well, and his product. But I think his market is more the well off, cannot be bothered to cook types, he probably reaches via his own marketing of his meals - maybe through social media methods. I don’t think he needs a shopping channel.

Yes it was odd, But I hope the guy does really well with the business, he came over a decent guy, a bit unusual for IW.

Didnt realise it came with Digital Music, can’t be many of us, who havent a Spotify or Apple Music or one of the others

Maybe IW is trying to muscle in on the good side of things after seeing how well QVC are doing with it. I haven't seen the roast in a box yet but did catch Mark flogging a couple of boxes of cheese earlier which seemed really out of place on Ideal World. They were £20 each for a box of four cheese truckles. You could get them for half that in Asda.
I know QVC have a lot of food at a higher price point than you would pay in the local supermarket but they have a team of experienced buyers who for years have been sourcing artisan producers. While I may watch Andi Peters selling 6 pies for £24, I may not buy them but I'd still think they would probably be worth it due to them being handmade and being from a smaller independent food producer who I would rather support. With IW I wouldn't have that confidence due to the market stall tactics they use to flog the rest of their products.
So whilst it's admirable that they're looking into different markets, I'd rather they got their act together overall and put the effort into training the presenters into stopping using the reprehensible behaviour that is so ingrained in the company (talking to non existent people off camera to feign near selling out, presenters acting like sexual perverts, fake claims by way of pushing the do your own research line etc)

I’m still trying to come to terms with this idea of Ideal World presenters that you should pull your stand-alone radiator from room to room with you. What - like a dog on a lead? Maybe we’ll see Peter and Mike in a Peterborough park together, taking their radiators for a walk. Maybe training them not to leak, except when outside - on pain of being dragged to have their temperature checked by Peter V.
I think I need a lie down… 😂

I thought he was really good as it goes. Peter clearly bluffs it, and when it goes wrong (as it often does), probably thinks we are all too daft to notice it. Tim, on the other hand, is probably around 20 years younger and has that familiarity with technology people from Peter's era in general don't have.

I think he (Tim) is a decent host, knowledgeable and generally pretty personable, and they should make more of him - instead of sticking with people like Simon Peters, usually making a complete cringe making embarrassment of themselves, as he did of himself last night after midnight - showing us his sixteen (stones) pack in all its horrendous, shaking flesh, finger down the mouth, glory.

Fitness Tim was a Tech Expert last night selling iPhone8.
On the one hand I think it's good that tech products can be refurbed and used, less impact on the planet and all that. I also get the fact it enables people to buy into the iPhone brand that maybe can't afford or simply don't want to buy the latest £1000+ models.

However, there's no denying that model was launched in 2017, so 4 years ago. In tech terms, that's quite a long time. I wonder if people might be better exploring some of the (non big brand) Android phones for sale <£500, some decent ones out there.

There again, we all know iPhones are the best ... <sarcastic mode off>

I thought he was really good as it goes. Peter clearly bluffs it, and when it goes wrong (as it often does), probably thinks we are all too daft to notice it. Tim, on the other hand, is probably around 20 years younger and has that familiarity with technology people from Peter's era in general don't have.

I think he (Tim) is a decent host, knowledgeable and generally pretty personable, and they should make more of him - instead of sticking with people like Simon Peters, usually making a complete cringe making embarrassment of themselves, as he did of himself last night after midnight - showing us his sixteen (stones) pack in all its horrendous, shaking flesh, finger down the mouth, glory.
Whilst I agree he's less annoying than the others, let's see what he's like a year or so down the line ... ;)

I thought he was very good overall. Probably too good, really. His level of expertise probably suiting people who know their technology, rather than those who don’t. And I imagine that those who DO know their technology, wouldn’t be buying their technology products from Ideal World. Far better having somebody like Peter pitching at a level somebody still running Windows 3.1 would feel more comfortable with.

Latest posts

Back