I am vindicated

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
QVC have just told me that I can never have too many torches, so my 200 or more are OK after all.

But they have broken a long standing QVC promise.

They have always boasted that if an item needs batteries, they will supply them.

Not so any more!!!!

Each torch needs 4 AAA or AA batteries (and yet again the written description doesn't even bother to tell you). Nor does it bother to list the contents of the tools.

I am getting more and more angry with the amateur and lazy shower running their website.

AND no photo either, the usual "awaiting image" which never appears.

Last edited:
I rang CS about all the above.

I was very tempted to buy but the £5 PP on a £19 item was very off-putting.

CS said they normally supplied batteries, but even after putting me on hold so he could talk to the product team, they couldn't find out.

So he then offered to cancel the PP to compensate for the possible lack of batteries, and if they come with batteries it would be a bonus.

BTW is is yet another AO item, middle of November.

I am more interested in the tools this time, rather than the torch, but it will also join my collection as a "novelty / unusual" torch, as they come as a pair, so a very good price without the PP.

...... if I can get batteries ;)
Well we ordered some AAA batteries from Amazon last week. They came from Madrid via Coslada to clear customs,then arrived at Castle Donnington,East Midlands Airport,cleared customs there,then Bardon Hill,then went to Rugby and finally was delivered by Hermes. In all took about 3 days but what was their carbon footprint.

I think I can beat that !

I saw quite a nice clock on Etsy - from a shop in Wisconsin ( I know ). Didn't realise did I that on top of the purchase price there was the US postage, then there was the import duty from the States to the UK. OH, it didn't end there.

The owner sent it off via the local postal system, but it went on a trip half way around the world before it got to me. It left Wisconsin and was put on a plane in Chicago. Sadly instead of turning right to the UK, the plane turned left to Japan. I got in touch with the shop owner and we both tracked the parcel. Imagine my surprise when it was "out for delivery" in Tokyo 😂 hmmmmm, ok. The next day, and presumably after some poor Japanese postman was flummoxed, the parcel took off from Tokyo bound for Heathrow.

Two days later - I was still tracking, it landed at Heathrow, went off to some International postage hub in the Midlands where it sat to clear customs. Off it went again to Hatfield hub and then I was contacted to pay UK postage that included DHL delivery charges !!!!!

So, I did eventually get my clock, beautifully packaged and well insulated so it arrived in one piece - surprising after all the handling it experienced, BUT it cost me almost twice as much again as the original Etsy price.

Beware of buying from abroad in these times.

I ordered an item from Etsy Canada last year and by the time it had gone half way round the world, took a holiday in customs and got to my door (having cost me £20 in customs duty and an £8 handling fee from the post office (eh?)), I was a few quid out of pocket. It was a nice item though.

Strato, I think I have a wind up torch which solves the battery problem.

CC

I ordered an item from Etsy Canada last year and by the time it had gone half way round the world, took a holiday in customs and got to my door (having cost me £20 in customs duty and an £8 handling fee from the post office (eh?)), I was a few quid out of pocket. It was a nice item though.

Strato, I think I have a wind up torch which solves the battery problem.

CC
I have at least 10 at a quick count in my mind, plus solar powered ones which I keep on the windowsill to charge, so they are always ready for a power cut. Also many which are rechargeable by plugging into a USB socket.

Paying the GPO £8 at the door for themselves, PLUS the duty is almost a scam, but unless you pay, they won't give you the item.

No they won't give you the item but our postie can't take the money anyway, you have to go to the sorting office at Duns and even then they don't take money, you have to pay online and then go and collect. The US and Canada have so much more lovely things than the UK have but it all comes at a price. I sell on Etsy myself so I know what a pain international postage can be.

CC

No they won't give you the item but our postie can't take the money anyway, you have to go to the sorting office at Duns and even then they don't take money, you have to pay online and then go and collect. The US and Canada have so much more lovely things than the UK have but it all comes at a price. I sell on Etsy myself so I know what a pain international postage can be.

CC
So that's me out then, can't get to the sorting office as useless bus service, AND I would then have to lug the item home having spent £££££s already for postage :(

At least when the electricity prices go up, strato will be able to use all those torches instead. 😉

I’ve got a few torches and lanterns, although not as many as strato, and I also have a wind up torch and a wind up radio, the latter two being for really long power cuts. 😳

At least when the electricity prices go up, strato will be able to use all those torches instead. 😉

I’ve got a few torches and lanterns, although not as many as strato, and I also have a wind up torch and a wind up radio, the latter two being for really long power cuts. 😳
Dare I tell you that one of my torches has a built-in wind-up radio :)

So that's me out then, can't get to the sorting office as useless bus service, AND I would then have to lug the item home having spent £££££s already for postage :(
If you pay the postage / duties charge online then the postman can deliver the item to your door. The admin fee is to cover the cost of clearing customs, then it also covers the risk of you not paying the customs charge, as Royal Mail pays it for you up front. You'd be surprised how many items are not paid for as folk have not costed in the duties charge!!

Hubby ordered a Dell computer and it came from Poland as with the batteries we didn't have any extra costs. I was expecting some charges due to the price of the computer but we didn't pay anything extra.

I think I can beat that !

I saw quite a nice clock on Etsy - from a shop in Wisconsin ( I know ). Didn't realise did I that on top of the purchase price there was the US postage, then there was the import duty from the States to the UK. OH, it didn't end there.

The owner sent it off via the local postal system, but it went on a trip half way around the world before it got to me. It left Wisconsin and was put on a plane in Chicago. Sadly instead of turning right to the UK, the plane turned left to Japan. I got in touch with the shop owner and we both tracked the parcel. Imagine my surprise when it was "out for delivery" in Tokyo 😂 hmmmmm, ok. The next day, and presumably after some poor Japanese postman was flummoxed, the parcel took off from Tokyo bound for Heathrow.

Two days later - I was still tracking, it landed at Heathrow, went off to some International postage hub in the Midlands where it sat to clear customs. Off it went again to Hatfield hub and then I was contacted to pay UK postage that included DHL delivery charges !!!!!

So, I did eventually get my clock, beautifully packaged and well insulated so it arrived in one piece - surprising after all the handling it experienced, BUT it cost me almost twice as much again as the original Etsy price.

Beware of buying from abroad in these times.
Wow what a journey!!!

Latest posts

Back