Hotel Chocolat TSV 20/11/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Would you believe Mr CC was wittering on about buying me a coffee machine for Christmas :oops: I told him not to buy the HC one. I would really like this, has anyone got one?

I'm glad I bought my Nespresso machine a while ago, because the prices for them have rocketed. I've got what one would class as an entry level machine, ie, does not come with a frother/milk chamber. This tsv is exactly this (apart from the recycling gizmo). Mine came with a selection of different pods to get me started plus a voucher enabling to get 50 extra capsules free of charge. Nespresso are tricky beggars, their new Vertuo machines can be bought really cheaply but the capsules that go in them cost an absolute fortune and can't be bought anywhere else, so a proper false economy. The regular basic machine at the moment is about £159 - however, this is still cheaper than the HC machine when it's at full price. This offer is what I'd call a typical Q collaboration with an expensive, dare I say, overpriced brand. I'm sure at this time of the year it will sell well, and despite charging a tiresome £4.95 for delivery. I'll be watching with interest for all the battered boxes they turn up in, which seems to be par for the course with Q at the moment!

Would you believe Mr CC was wittering on about buying me a coffee machine for Christmas :oops: I told him not to buy the HC one. I would really like this, has anyone got one?

Now that’s what I call a coffee maker. You can’t beat using your own choice of ground coffee, such a good choice out there. Plus a milk frother.

I’m tempted even though I’ve got a dolce gusto one but don’t use it because I don’t like taste of the various coffee pods.

Wow! I'm even tempted by that!

Now that’s what I call a coffee maker. You can’t beat using your own choice of ground coffee, such a good choice out there. Plus a milk frother.

I’m tempted even though I’ve got a dolce gusto one but don’t use it because I don’t like taste of the various coffee pods.
I've also got a machine that uses ground coffee and has a milk frother attatchment. I agree but it's a total minefield finding the perfect one for you. In another thread I talked about my love for the Co-op's fairtrade decaf, which they sadly changed to a rather unpleasant brew. At one stage I had cupboard full of half used bags of coffee grounds/beans that I wasn't in love with. Gladly though, I found a fantastic alternative (not decaf) but for those with one of these machines, all I can say is to buy Aldi's house blend coffee beans (strength 3) £1.49 a pack. I know you've got to grind them yourself but they are truly amazing. If they stop doing them I'll be gutted!

I'd buy that for it's retro look alone. Good grief, that sounds a tad Qurio.

That is a really nice coffee machine, unfortunately AO no longer deliver to N.I.

Here is a question about the HC one, do you have to use their own brand coffee pods with it? I bet it will work out very expensive if you do.

That is a really nice coffee machine, unfortunately AO no longer deliver to N.I.

Here is a question about the HC one, do you have to use their own brand coffee pods with it? I bet it will work out very expensive if you do.
I only like coffee black no sugar same with tea.

No, it's compatible with Nespresso pods and all the other imitations of them. Flinty said that you could only recycle their ones in the gadget that comes with it, but according to HC's own website you can recycle any aluminium pod as long as it's one that fits in their machine. I've got to say, that I'm pretty naughty with mine and throw mine into the kitchen bin. I do like the idea of this, and probably should as I'm pretty good and recycle everything else.

Bit of a coffee addict here I'm afraid, my only sin as all I drink in life is spring water and coffee in the morning. I recently got a cheap Nespresso Ezzenza Mini machine from Amazon which is the old nespresso small pods, for £90, it's very tiny and was pleasantly surprised, sadly not available anymore. Coffee is a thing where I strongly feel, it's about the taste as each format is equal whichever takes your fancy is perfect and none is better than the other. I've tried EVERY format and actually it's hobby of mine and as I say to people, you can never have too many coffee machines. (I have 3 presently, including a huge automatic bean to cup.) I also purchased a pod recycler which is a Dualit ad was only £10 as the waste is appalling, it is messy though, I always recycle my coffee waste.

The pods, yankee bundles do fab nespresso cheap pod deals. the best so far being the Costa ones and the Starbuck ones were ghastly. I used my superautomatic milk frother for the milk and pods for the espresso and make fab drinks. This machine is ok but thats as far as I would go, they are all a much of the sameness when it comes to nespresso.

As an aside, I also have used coffee making formats - cold brew, aeropress, filter, french press, V60 (by far the strongest but faffyiest) and even stove top. For me the cheapest easiest format is bean to cup superautomatic but the footprint in my tiny kitchen is huge.

Im with you on this @loujareth - I had a few Nespresso’s in differing forms (and also a Tassimo briefly which i thought made ghastly coffee and gave away to my mother-in-law 😏) before i splashed out earlier this year and bought myself a Gaggia bean to cup with i completely love - even though it is ****** mahoosive!

I`m an old style coffee person and use a good quality stainless steel and pyrex Bodum cafetiere and good quality ground beans. My son once bought me one of those coffee gizmos you put pods into and I hated it. I like really strong very hot coffee and the machine I had did neither.
I have 2 cups first thing every morning and then I don`t have coffee again until the following morning. I mulch the coffee grinds into the flower beds and they also act as a deterrent for any wandering cats using the beds as a toilet. My own cat only ever uses her tray and I once read that cats won`t pee or poo where there are coffee grinds or citrus peel such as orange and lemon.

I've tried them all and have a number of coffee making solutions. Cafetiere used rarely but handy when guests are staying. Extractor press, bought to take to my yearly festival so I can have decent coffee. It makes an amazing brew, but it's a bit of a messy faff, so I don't use it that often. I've got an entry level Nepresso machine, which is brilliant, and a D'longhi machine that uses grounds and has a milk frother nozzle attached. I have found that the best frothed milk though comes from blitzing a small amount of cold milk in a blender and then popping it in the microwave for a minute on high. Pour this over the coffee and it turns out exactly like a coffee shop coffee, especially when used in conjuction with the Aldi coffee beans I mentioned earlier. I find the frothing wand a bit hit and miss!
A few years ago I spent a lot of money on a bean to cup machine, it had a timer so I though it would be lovely to wake up to a cup of freshly ground/brewed coffee. Firstly it was really big and bulky. The hideous noise from the grinder used to jolt me awake before my alarm went off and it was 2 rooms away! The coffee was pretty lukewarm, and the jug, you literally had to turn on its head to get anything out of it, and as for keeping the coffee warm - it didn't! I sent it back for a refund and got all my money back.
What I don't get anymore is people who still prefer to drink instant coffee made with boiling water and milk - we all did in the past didn't we and were happy with it?

I’m an instant coffee drinker and I don’t see any reason to change to be honest. I (I’m ashamed to say) drink on average about 10-12 cups a day so it would cost me an absolute fortune in pods if I upgraded to a machine.
As it is, I use Aldi’s Gold Blend dupe (better than the original IMO) and it costs less than £2.00 per jar.

No, it's compatible with Nespresso pods and all the other imitations of them. Flinty said that you could only recycle their ones in the gadget that comes with it, but according to HC's own website you can recycle any aluminium pod as long as it's one that fits in their machine. I've got to say, that I'm pretty naughty with mine and throw mine into the kitchen bin. I do like the idea of this, and probably should as I'm pretty good and recycle everything else.
There are various recycling options for your pods if you feel bad binning them 😉

When you order your pods direct from Nespresso - or I think you can actually phone and request one on its own - you can add a recycling bag.

It’s quite a large plasticky envelope which you can take to a collect plus place when full, or even request a free collection from home.

The HC coffee machine recycler is very neat and nifty tho I must say! And you can definitely recycle any Nespresso style pods (non Vertuo)...

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/rec...ing-menu&creative=How-To-Recycle&position=5-1

I’m an instant coffee drinker and I don’t see any reason to change to be honest. I (I’m ashamed to say) drink on average about 10-12 cups a day so it would cost me an absolute fortune in pods if I upgraded to a machine.
As it is, I use Aldi’s Gold Blend dupe (better than the original IMO) and it costs less than £2.00 per jar.
Are you not buzzing?!

Latest posts

Back