Kipling TSV 14/2/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Love Tenerife. I was due to fly out on 21 March 2020, and heard the news of planes being turned around midair... so just had to wait for the inevitable text cancelling my holiday. Hope to go back next year.
Wear lots of sunscreen, and beware the sun at 2-3pm.
I remember back in the days of teletext holidays, phoning up to find out about one in Puerto de Santiago in Tenerife. After being given the details I asked if was as hilly as I’d been told. “Oh, yes” she said “probably not the best choice if you’ve any disabilities “.
My reply “no disabilities, just idleness. I don’t “do” hills”.
We ended up in Playa de las Americas. Hated it, not for me. Been to Los Cristianos a couple of times. I was there on a solo holiday when the Twin Towers were attacked. Remember walking through the town watching a television in a shop window as the plane hit them, but didn’t realise what I was seeing.
It wasn’t until getting back to Gatwick and seeing the papers that everything became clear. It also explained the huge delay at airport and all the newly introduced security measures. All quite surreal.

Love Tenerife. I was due to fly out on 21 March 2020, and heard the news of planes being turned around midair... so just had to wait for the inevitable text cancelling my holiday. Hope to go back next year.
Wear lots of sunscreen, and beware the sun at 2-3pm.
I had a good holiday, don't get me wrong but I really don't see what draws so many people to return year on year. I've only been taking holidays abroad for a relatively short time. I had a couple of holidays abroad before I settled down and had a family and then it was trips down to Devon and a lot of holiday camps in the uk. Since I started going abroad most years I like to try somewhere new every time and so far Malta has been the place I'd yearn to go back to. I would extend that to Cyprus too if I'm honest, as we picked the wrong time of the year to go (July) and it was so uncomfortably hot that we spent most of our holiday in the hotel swimming pool.
It's hard to judge a place by one visit, but from what I saw of Tenerife was a lot of motorway linking a lot of resorts. We did a whale/dolphin watching cruise which was amazing, but decided not to go on the trip to explore the mountains as it would've involved sitting on a coach wearing a mask for hours - Spain's covid rules are a lot stricter than ours. Our hotel, the entertainments lounge had notices on every table saying that masks needed to be worn at all times except when eating and drinking but you must replace your mask between every bite or sip, to be honest I didn't see anybody adhering to this. They also said that no dancing was permitted! (Not that it bothered us too much, but a bit of a dampener for others I would've thought)
The pool terrace and bar, you didn't have to wear a mask, however, you did when you wanted to get a drink. One young lady had queued at the bar, and I wish somebody had noticed that she'd forgotten her mask, but she was refused service at the bar and she walked away in tears.
Like I said from the little I saw of the island there was nothing to make me say "Yes, this is my place"
Did I say, I hated the kipling bag? Lol!

I remember back in the days of teletext holidays, phoning up to find out about one in Puerto de Santiago in Tenerife. After being given the details I asked if was as hilly as I’d been told. “Oh, yes” she said “probably not the best choice if you’ve any disabilities “.
My reply “no disabilities, just idleness. I don’t “do” hills”.
We ended up in Playa de las Americas. Hated it, not for me. Been to Los Cristianos a couple of times. I was there on a solo holiday when the Twin Towers were attacked. Remember walking through the town watching a television in a shop window as the plane hit them, but didn’t realise what I was seeing.
It wasn’t until getting back to Gatwick and seeing the papers that everything became clear. It also explained the huge delay at airport and all the newly introduced security measures. All quite surreal.
Visited both Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos, ok for a day visit, but I would hate either as a base for a holiday. Prefer to be further up the coast near Adeje. Quieter and more variety, imo.

Yeah
I had a good holiday, don't get me wrong but I really don't see what draws so many people to return year on year. I've only been taking holidays abroad for a relatively short time. I had a couple of holidays abroad before I settled down and had a family and then it was trips down to Devon and a lot of holiday camps in the uk. Since I started going abroad most years I like to try somewhere new every time and so far Malta has been the place I'd yearn to go back to. I would extend that to Cyprus too if I'm honest, as we picked the wrong time of the year to go (July) and it was so uncomfortably hot that we spent most of our holiday in the hotel swimming pool.
It's hard to judge a place by one visit, but from what I saw of Tenerife was a lot of motorway linking a lot of resorts. We did a whale/dolphin watching cruise which was amazing, but decided not to go on the trip to explore the mountains as it would've involved sitting on a coach wearing a mask for hours - Spain's covid rules are a lot stricter than ours. Our hotel, the entertainments lounge had notices on every table saying that masks needed to be worn at all times except when eating and drinking but you must replace your mask between every bite or sip, to be honest I didn't see anybody adhering to this. They also said that no dancing was permitted! (Not that it bothered us too much, but a bit of a dampener for others I would've thought)
The pool terrace and bar, you didn't have to wear a mask, however, you did when you wanted to get a drink. One young lady had queued at the bar, and I wish somebody had noticed that she'd forgotten her mask, but she was refused service at the bar and she walked away in tears.
Like I said from the little I saw of the island there was nothing to make me say "Yes, this is my place"
Did I say, I hated the kipling bag? Lol!
Costa Adeje is nice we stayed there a few years ago for Christmas
Ohhh I love Tenerife 😂 we are due in June .. warmth .. that’s why we love it .. and familiarity.. however would love to try somewhere else next year .. very grateful for anything warm as long as it’s not mountains and not far from entertainment and shops but quiet too … I love walking it helps with sciatica .. when I’m lucky enough not to get it bad … and I do love a tribute act 😂 I know it’s crass but when you get a good one I’m happy bunny with a lime and soda .. and a dance 💃… I “think” canaries are suspending their covid rule atm but not 100% sure 👍

Latest posts

Back