How much ?????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gosh that's awful. Can you do an online shop elsewhere. I would stock up on some tins as an insurance policy. Tins never go off and there is hardly anything you can't get in a tin. Fruit, veg, pasta soup, meat, fish, stews.
Amazon have home delivery where I live of fresh food and tinned. Everything you could wish for. However, I hope your local shop will be back in gear soon

My local Lidl has rows of empty shelves!

No eggs, no longlife milk, virtually no cereals, not even any crisps/doritos etc. About 80% of items on my shopping list are out of stock.

It's been like this for about 2 months. Apparently all the staff at their warehouse have been poached by a new Amazon warehouse nearby, so the food can't be loaded into lorries for distribution.

It is very disconcerting to see the rows of empty shelves and it makes me feel uneasy as it is my nearest shop and I don't have a car.
Strato my sister said the same thing today, she's just outside Wrexham. We seem to be fine here on the sunny Wirral!!

Hello Cashers. Thank you so much for your kind message. My sister died prematurely and suddenly and it was a complete shock. I had willingly given up everything to come to Italy to live with her, and here I will stay since I have no family or home to return to. I count my blessings, however. My sister left me her house which has a nice garden, suitable for tomatoes, but I grow only flowers! I have enough income to live humbly without worry, so I am better off than so many people in the world who are suffering, especially now in Eastern Europe. You are a very compassionate lady.
Griz, I really think that you are so very brave, you've been through alot in a strange country (well, not strange but you know what I mean!) And on your own too. I hope I'm not talking out of line here, and I certainly wouldn't take offence if you say no but if you ever want a sort of pen pal then look no further!! And to answer your post, I think that most of us are counting our blessings there last months. Take care Grid and enjoy your flowers, I've been in my little yard pottering for most of the day and enjoying the sun 🌞. Tomatoes are coming on a treat by the way!

Griz, I really think that you are so very brave, you've been through alot in a strange country (well, not strange but you know what I mean!) And on your own too. I hope I'm not talking out of line here, and I certainly wouldn't take offence if you say no but if you ever want a sort of pen pal then look no further!! And to answer your post, I think that most of us are counting our blessings there last months. Take care Grid and enjoy your flowers, I've been in my little yard pottering for most of the day and enjoying the sun 🌞. Tomatoes are coming on a treat by the way!
Thank you, Cashers. I would be happy to have you as a pen pal. Glad to hear your tomatoes are thriving. My flowers, that should be easy to grow... roses in the ground and hydrangeas in big pots... look sickly. I fertilizer and water, with poor results. I'll keep on trying however because I haven't quite killed them! Could be I water too much and I should leave them alone for a while. Too much love! But the power of nature to survive is amazing. Will you use your tomatoes for pasta sauce, sandwiches and salads? Oil, vinegar and salt on the salad? Have you tried sun drying them? Do you have to spray the plants for insects? We're expecting 36 degrees C temperature today. Too hot for June. I'll get my shopping done early and stay inside under the ceiling fan for the rest of the day. I've started a new book, The Exhibitionist, which, unfortunately, provoked a nightmare. It takes you into the lives of a bizarre family. I'll finish it today, though, because I want to know how it ends.

You’re a brave lady Grizelda. You paint quite a vivid picture of your life. Do you speak Italian? I imagine dealing with the authorities must be quite challenging. I lived in France for a few years and the bureaucracy was horrendous. I’m a huge fan of Italian food though, it’s simple and just delicious. DH does our cooking and produces a few pasta dishes for my sake but he was raised on meat and two veg and that’s where his heart is.
We have a small greenhouse and he has success every year with tomatoes in growbags. The flavour of a warm, freshly picked tomato is wonderful but nothing beats Mediterranean fruit and veg. Our toms mostly go into sauces and soups.

Bloom faux flowers are beyond exorbitantly priced.

A wild garden arrangement......... just look at the price 😂 😂 😂

I have all these flowers which I bought at various times from Dunelm / Homesense (TK Maxx) / B & M for my headband arrangements, so I know how much they cost per stem.

Perhaps I have the wrong hobby, and should invest in a few milk bottles and flog them at craft fairs instead.

Off for a Gin and T to get over the shock.
I am still waiting for delivery of the said item from Bloom. Ordered oy on Sunday and it's Friday. It was supposed to be free next day delivery. Not impressed!

Whilst I go on holiday to Italy as much as I can, I do appreciate it is nothing like actually living there. We lived abroad when I was growing up and working in high temperatures is nothing like sitting at a nice bar with a cool drink in your hand, and not everywhere is as picturesque as holiday areas.

Grizelda hydrangeas are the one thing I can grow and take cuttings so they must be tough buggers! They do love water and the books say they prefer shade but I know I’ve seen them growing happily in the Italian sun. One of mine hasn’t flowered for a couple of years but our trees and next doors bliddy massive conifers were removed this year and lo and behold it is covered in heads ready to break out. In fact it’s been so long since it flowered Mr L and I disagree over the colour. We have had poor weather in fact it’s raining today.

Anyway you know we are all here for a chat if you need a bit of UK moaning!

Oh bless you Griz, I'm so sorry for your loss. Will you stay in Italy? Do you have friends around you or family members who visit? You're very brave if you are there alone. 😘

Hi Mollie. This is really weird! Only yesterday my friend and I went to a garden centre and not far away was a Lidl! I must admit that I have never shopped in Lidl, always using Aldi which is nearer. Anyway, we popped in and I was really impressed. Such a lovely shop and the veggies looked so fresh! Long of it is, I'm doing my main shop there this coming Sunday morning! And I'm a tomato 🍅 freek too and will certainly look out for their marvellous brand!! Thanks for the tip. Anything else I should look out for anyone?
That's spooky and extra spooky is the week from 16th is Italian week at Lidl! (They have a different country each week). You can look at their online leaflet to see the products although sometimes not every store gets the same deliveries. I hope you enjoy your shop, they have instore bakery with a pretty good range of "artisan" breads and I can thoroughly recommend the blueberry muffins 🤗

No eggs, no longlife milk, virtually no cereals, not even any crisps/doritos etc. About 80% of items on my shopping list are out of stock.

It's been like this for about 2 months. Apparently all the staff at their warehouse have been poached by a new Amazon warehouse nearby, so the food can't be loaded into lorries for distribution.

It is very disconcerting to see the rows of empty shelves and it makes me feel uneasy as it is my nearest shop and I don't have a car.
That's an awfully long time Strato to have empty shelves - those products you would expect to have even if your usual brand was missing. No wonder you feel uneasy - they are basic products. As it's your main shop I hope they sort themselves out quickly. I stopped at a tesco supermarket yesterday and they were limiting customers to 3 bottles of rapeseed oil so some people must have been buying in bulk. Strange times.

Just imagine what it’s like here with the added problem of the protocol. The goods take so long to arrive that the BB dates are the day they are put on the shelves which isn’t much good unless you shop everyday. Store cupboard items are fairly good but fresh isnt and a lot of chilled meals are being processed gods knows where and the quality and quantity has greatly reduced.
Again the fruit which we eat a lot of are terrible, who the hell ever heard of grapes you can’t eat because they are so sour.

I know a lot of people rate Lidl fruit but anything we bought was totally tasteless and we don’t have any Aldi or Morrison stores and Sainsbury just closed their store.

I bought some apricots that were listed as 'best quality', yet like you say LATI they were sour and tasteless. So they're getting put into an almond and apricot cake !

I've noticed for months now that our huge Tesco which has spent a fortune on a store re-fit, has shelves with very little stock. Its like they are permanently having a stock take. Just 3 boxes of Optrex eye drops, a reduction in the range of hair colour choice, half a dozen boxes of Paracetamol etc etc. Its not a one-off, this is how it permanently is.

Gosh it's scary isn't it. I live in london I have not noticed any shortages atm. But I suspect its comming

I bought some apricots that were listed as 'best quality', yet like you say LATI they were sour and tasteless. So they're getting put into an almond and apricot cake !

I've noticed for months now that our huge Tesco which has spent a fortune on a store re-fit, has shelves with very little stock. Its like they are permanently having a stock take. Just 3 boxes of Optrex eye drops, a reduction in the range of hair colour choice, half a dozen boxes of Paracetamol etc etc. Its not a one-off, this is how it permanently is.
Crikey that's bad - as Boffy said I'm in London and haven't noticed any shortages yet but it probably going to happen soon...what happens for people who need infant formula/paracetamol or whatever, that isn't choice buying but essentials......grim...

Whereabouts are you Stratto. We were coming home from our short break on the M18 and there is a humongous Amazon depot alongside it near Doncaster.
Probably why our Lidl is getting empty shelves as well.

Whereabouts are you Stratto. We were coming home from our short break on the M18 and there is a humongous Amazon depot alongside it near Doncaster.
Probably why our Lidl is getting empty shelves as well.
The new Amazon depot is in Exeter, so the Lidl staff have gone there, so the south west area is now short of food.

Went there today for one of their weekend bargains, the shelves even barer now.

The new Amazon depot is in Exeter, so the Lidl staff have gone there, so the south west area is now short of food.

Went there today for one of their weekend bargains, the shelves even barer now.
Well instead of handing out benefits to those who's only disability is being bone idle they should be made to work for what they get.

I'm not talking labour on the cheap but if the National Living Wage is say £10 per hour, and they receive £100 per week in benefits then they should have to work in jobs where it is difficult to recruit staff, like in a warehouse or fruit picking for 10 hours per week.

Well instead of handing out benefits to those who's only disability is being bone idle they should be made to work for what they get.

I'm not talking labour on the cheap but if the National Living Wage is say £10 per hour, and they receive £100 per week in benefits then they should have to work in jobs where it is difficult to recruit staff, like in a warehouse or fruit picking for 10 hours per week.
I’ve been saying exactly this for years. I genuinely don’t understand why nobody in power has put something like it into action.

I never knew there was an Amazon depot in N.I? A friend's son this was back in 2019 got an Xmas job in the warehouse he was 17 and just loved it. I know there have been documentaries saying they are awful to work for, even timing toilet breaks. But he wanted to stay on after his tempt contract ended, but they did not keep on the extra staff. He got paid above the living wage even at 17 something like £11 or 12 per hour.

I’ve been saying exactly this for years. I genuinely don’t understand why nobody in power has put something like it into action.
Quite simple. There would be riots and the screaming of forced labour, think China or North Korea. No UK government would dare to go there. Now, I have read some comments about the illegal immigrants being made to work in the fields etc, but that will never happen either again forced labour.

Latest posts

Back