QVC Now Want Verification

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It must be frustrating to be expected to keep a mobile phone purely for verification purposes. It's surprising that banks haven't found a way to deal with this for deaf customers - and equally, very elderly people like my M-I-L who has never got her head around mobile phones!
Surely, having a mobile phone is an advantage for a person who is deaf or hard of hearing because they don't have to use it for conversation but they can read and communicate by text. My husband can't hear without hearing aids but even with them in he cannot fully hear his mobile, and simply by texting it can make life easier. If someone is so elderly that they can't use a mobile, then would they be shopping or banking online anyway?

Surely, having a mobile phone is an advantage for a person who is deaf or hard of hearing because they don't have to use it for conversation but they can read and communicate by text. My husband can't hear without hearing aids but even with them in he cannot fully hear his mobile, and simply by texting it can make life easier. If someone is so elderly that they can't use a mobile, then would they be shopping or banking online anyway?

You're absolutely right - on both counts.

There was a post on the moneysaving site on praise rant last week. A man did not want to be tracked and traced on when and where he spent his money. The answers were to get a tinfoil hat and that is not how digital info works, supermarket locality cards will show what customer do buy and sometimes give money off those items.

But banks are not tracking you, they are cracking down on security. Last Monday at 11 pm I got a text from my bank saying they wanted to discuss my recent purchases. Then a link which was my bank name. I thought dodgy but turned on the laptop and googled the link and nothing came up those exact words, checked my bank account nothing different or weird, well the last thing I bought was milk and stuff in the Co.op. Decided to phone the bank next morning to just check and yes it was a scam. The bank said we will never send a text or email with a link to click. If we believe something is wrong, we will ask you to contact us using the normal number.
A few years ago I got a letter from Nationwide saying they had cancelled my credit card and were issuing a new one as they suspected a fraudulent attempt on it.
I went into the branch to check as I wasn't even sure if this was a con. Staff did assure me that there was a red flag and comment on my account but wouldn't say what the problem was.

A few years ago I got a letter from Nationwide saying they had cancelled my credit card and were issuing a new one as they suspected a fraudulent attempt on it.
I went into the branch to check as I wasn't even sure if this was a con. Staff did assure me that there was a red flag and comment on my account but wouldn't say what the problem was.
That happened to me a week or so ago. I ignored it. They sent me a new card. I still phoned head office and still checked to see if it was a scam. Dont know why they would not tell me what the issue was

Was speaking to the pensioner who lives below me yesterday. She got a text message from her bank saying someone had been added to her payees, sorry, forget the name, she said. She did not know the person and even at 80+ did not click the link in a panic but phoned the bank who told her it was a scam. She like me had no idea how they got her mobile number?

Was speaking to the pensioner who lives below me yesterday. She got a text message from her bank saying someone had been added to her payees, sorry, forget the name, she said. She did not know the person and even at 80+ did not click the link in a panic but phoned the bank who told her it was a scam. She like me had no idea how they got her mobile number?
They are random dials to see if it is a genuine number and if anyone answers.
If I don't recognise the number I don't answer and the do a check on the number. Had a call the other week and the number was from Russia. The number was blocked and reported to Virgin.

Ok.
I can see why they do this for security.
BUT I‘ve begun to get the pop up box recently …it states which of three numbers, just gives last few digits….they’re all old phone numbers that I no longer have. It doesn’t give me the option of my current phone so sending a text would be useless.
what are you supposed to do then?

I had a notification from my bank for the first time last week. I topped up my phone and then decided to add more credit and tried topping it up again. I immediately got a message from Nationwide, asking if it was me. I had to verify that it was. I was then able to top the phone up again. It’s now topped up until next year. 👍

I often get codes sent when I log into PayPal and my other bank also occasionally contacts me to check if it’s me when a transaction is due to go through.

To be honest, I don’t mind at all because it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Ok.
BUT I‘ve begun to get the pop up box recently …it states which of three numbers, just gives last few digits….they’re all old phone numbers that I no longer have. It doesn’t give me the option of my current phone so sending a text would be useless.
Probably just need to go into your account details on the bank/sites you use and update your phone number and delete any old ones??

I don’t use mobile banking. My account doesn’t have my phone number. Our local bank closed down two years ago & the nearest bank, any bank, branch is now over fifty miles away. Looks like my QVC shopping may be ending.

Ok.
You will need to contact your bank and give them an up to date number.

I don't see why we have to verify over half the transactions. Its like big brother is watching you. It used to be few and far between now its every other transaction. Next thing there will be a text asking wether you really need that Skechers trainer or Margaret Dabbs foot cream.

Just struck me too, why does it need to be verified by the bank. Its a credit card I use for Q purchases that has nothing to do with my bank, different company cleared every month.

Scammers and fraudsters are becoming more sophisticated. I won't even sign into my bank account without using second stage authentication from any device.
The verification doesn't seem to be for every transaction yet, but maybe that will come in time.

Maybe "they" are getting us used to asking the powers to be: "is that dress really essential?"
Ah yes, you will own nothing and be happy. Clothing will be hired or rented, as well as everything else. I read a very interesting article on this a while back, which no longer seems to be there - or I just can't find it.

CC

Latest posts

Back