Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Time for the medal presentation
The šŸ„‰ goes to Lola with 129 videos, sadly she was unable to collect her prize as she said ā€œ Iā€™ve got better things to do since I realised QVC ainā€™t all that!

The šŸ„ˆ- with 145 videos - Hyacinth sweetheart, thatā€™s yours - She said ā€œIā€™m made up with this, I really amā€ ā€œIā€™d like to thank me mam, me dad , my husband , and the postman (sorry you have to wear a back brace now). I shall be wearing this on the cruise!ā€

The gold medal šŸ„‡ Drumroll pleaseā€¦..itā€™s Erika - 199 veedios , weā€™ll done you! She said ā€œsee you in 200th veedioā€

Just missing out on the podium was Shirley Valentine with 96 videos who graciously said ā€œf%#ā‚¬^ing hell- I knew I shouldā€™ve bought more another 33 handbagsā€ Gutted!ā€
Brilliant.šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Hi all, just took a break because I didnā€™t like the way things were going and I couldnā€™t live with that.However things have sorted out and we move on! I have dipped into Qurio and without causing anyone offence I cannot believe the rate some of these women are spending, seemingly without any consideration?I am quite comfortable with my outgoings but have seriously questioned myself ā€˜ do I really needā€™? The answer is usually no.Even if you are in a very secure financial position would you spend like some of these? Their money, their life! Addictions are no longer the obvious?

Hi all, just took a break because I didnā€™t like the way things were going and I couldnā€™t live with that.However things have sorted out and we move on! I have dipped into Qurio and without causing anyone offence I cannot believe the rate some of these women are spending, seemingly without any consideration?I am quite comfortable with my outgoings but have seriously questioned myself ā€˜ do I really needā€™? The answer is usually no.Even if you are in a very secure financial position would you spend like some of these? Their money, their life! Addictions are no longer the obvious?
I think the encouragement and competition between regular posters there is fuelling this behaviour. I get that for some retail therapy is just that... therapy.
I know that for some shopping is their main, or only, hobby and being able to share that hobby with other like-minded souls must be wonderful.
I hope these ladies are not over-extending themselves with their purchases.
I am shopping quite a lot myself, preparing for upcoming holidays. Some has been Q shopping and some from other outlets like Matalan and Tesco... and Amazon. But I don't intend to put it out there on Qurio!

I agree about the lack of thought about what they are buying. The Lola Rose bracelet with the fastener that was too short, the earrings that were small and likely to drop out, and the necklace that was too long, too big and too heavy were all kept. Why on earth wouldnā€˜t the buyer return them and use the money to buy something they love?

I agree about the lack of thought about what they are buying. The Lola Rose bracelet with the fastener that was too short, the earrings that were small and likely to drop out, and the necklace that was too long, too big and too heavy were all kept. Why on earth wouldnā€˜t the buyer return them and use the money to buy something they love?
I'd go as far as saying "why on earth would someone buy some of the stuff in the first place"? Using what you've said as an example, the only reason I can see that Hyacinth bought that bracelet is that it seems to be a must have brand amongst the lovely ladies. She dipped her toe in, didn't seem overly impressed then bought two other pieces that weren't satisfactory and she kept them = Go figure, cause I can't!
Sorry to pick on Hyacinth, but she really does seem to be buying a whole lot of unnecessary rubbish at the moment, a zip up box to put cosmetics in for Ā£20 plus postage, something she thought looked like leather but found it was like suede (big difference), said Granddaughter would like that, so instead of saying I'll give it to her, she said she'd order another one - Jeez that's Ā£46 gone in the blink of an eye. I'm all for women doing what they want with their money, but seriously if I had a habit like this one, OH would definitely have words with me, and I wouldn't blame him.
I've just had a quick look at Qurio and she's kindly given us an update on the box which she has filled up with Doll 10 cosmetics and brushes- must be hundreds of pounds worth & just thrown in .It takes her a good bit of faffing to get the lid closed. Just because the box says doll 10 on it, doesn't mean it can only be filled with Doll 10 cosmetics. To be fair, this might be the only brand she uses, but I seriously doubt it. She was saying she loves that it's so portable 'cause it's got a handle so she can sit up in bed, take it into the living room and it's got a mirror. The mirror is flipping useless imo as to be able to use it you'd have to balance a heavy box on your knees or hold the box itself - and it's tiny! Fgs, use a wall mirror or the mirror on your dressing table. Each to their own, but I would call this a pointless purchase.

I think the encouragement and competition between regular posters there is fuelling this behaviour. I get that for some retail therapy is just that... therapy.
I know that for some shopping is their main, or only, hobby and being able to share that hobby with other like-minded souls must be wonderful.
I hope these ladies are not over-extending themselves with their purchases.
I am shopping quite a lot myself, preparing for upcoming holidays. Some has been Q shopping and some from other outlets like Matalan and Tesco... and Amazon. But I don't intend to put it out there on Qurio!
That's actually quite sad really, but there's shopping and there's shopping. There's going out for a good mooch around the shops which can be quite therapeutic, and then there's just click click click - I wonder if some of the ladies actually do it with their eyes closed. Being able to talk about it with like minded people is actually compounding the problem.
I used to have a shopping channel habit myself, but that was in the day when products were innovative and a little bit different to the high street. The high street and online retailers in general have gone above and beyond and they're really not a good place to shop any more. Thanks to Shopping channels, I discovered Ahh bras, memory foam mattress toppers, George Foreman grills, Stylee hair combs, and a whole load of other stuff that can nowadays be bought anywhere and everywhere for a fraction of the price. I bought a whole lot of crap too (of course). I saw the light and my financial sitauation is thanking me for it!
There is no reason to rely on expensive shopping channels these days there really isn't. They are still entertaining to watch, I'll give them that!

Someone's relatively small collection on the torch forum, they encourage each other just like Qurio. They are all the same make, including the knives.
Average price about Ā£100 each, many cost 100s.

Olight display.jpg

Someone's relatively small collection on the torch forum, they encourage each other just like Qurio. They are all the same make, including the knives.
Average price about Ā£100 each, many cost 100s.

View attachment 24118
I mean wow! That looks like a shop display! I know you've got a collection of torches Stratto, so I'll be careful what I say 'cause I don't want to hurt your feelings, but looking at this, one gets the impression that these torches are never going to be used, and if they are does anyone need that many?! People collect all manner of things, but it usually turns out that what starts out being decorative ends up being the total opposite. I get that some collections can turn out to be lucrative if the collector decides to sell any rare pieces that have, I also get that some collections can be quite an interesting hobby if people go far and wide to gather pieces and get them from all kinds of sources. There must be all manner of different torches though, going back through history as well as ultra modern ones, gadgety ones and the downright quirky!
To compare this with lets say a collection of Lola Rose jewellery. The jewellery will probably get used more than a torch, the collector will possibly wear more than one piece at any one time, have pieces that go with certain outfits, suit certain seasons better - but to me just buying a whole bunch of stuff from one retailer is not a hobby, it's a spending habit, and there's a big difference. To talk about it on a forum won't produce any "nerdy"/"techy" talk that can be very interesting to a collector I guess, there's not much that can be said, other than "that's nice". The other big difference is that whilst you torch collectors might be encouraging each other to buy more on these forums, you've not got a retailer who's supposed to be responsible telling you to phone in, send texts, photos etc of your collections eg "Beryl from Scunthorpe has just phoned in and said she's just ordered her 500th Cozee Home throw, can you do any better?, we'd love to hear"! Like a few people have said, Qurio is simply gathering all the "Beryls" in one place and getting them to feed off one another!
In other news, as night follows day, Erika has reached the 200 mark (sorry love but there's no platinum medal up for grabs) maybe when you reach 400 we'll consider introducing one. Hyacinth has discovered some (expensive) toiletries for men, so she's name called all the guys on the app, heaven knows why. Does she really think that these chaps aren't aware that men's toiletries exist and that they need to buy them from QVC? She must think she's doing them a massive favour! It's unbelievable!

I belong to Basenotes the perfume forum members on there are worldwide. One US member buys every new perfume, released high end or niche, he must have 1000s of bottles. Other members have joked now and then if it is his retirement fund? No, he just loves collection perfume and yes, he does wear them. Stored in large cabinets away from heat and sunlight.

A friend, collects perfume bottles, if they are interesting. She will buy even if she does not like the perfume, it is for the bottle she makes her mum wear the ones she does not like to get the bottle. John Paul Gaultier are the main ones as there are different bottle variations of the bottle released only in certain countries. A friend of hers who travels the far east and US for business if a new one comes out gets him to bring it for her.

So Stratobuddy's torch forum are not the only ones who will pay big money for the things they collect.

........ you've not got a retailer who's supposed to be responsible telling you to phone in, send texts, photos etc of your collection
It is exactly that! The retailer runs the forum (it is actually a FB page) and has loads of competitions. Such as, post a photo of the torches in your latest order, and 5 winners will be picked at random to win torches.

I won a T-shirt by posting a picture of a cake lit by one of their torches (the torch had to be in the photo). They have these compos almost every week.

Many people show copies of their invoices, showing all the prices, and totalling many Ā£100s, so is much worse than Qurio.

The photo shows their latest compo, but it is NOT as easy as it looks. There are tiny torches hidden in the picture.

Attachments

• Olight numerical competition 293722592_1.jpg
    Olight numerical competition 293722592_1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
And some people never even open the boxes.

The big box torch in the centre alone costs Ā£330.

Some people collect the same model of torch in different colours (there are loads of them) and the most prized are solid copper, brass, titanium and zirconium.

Many are issued as limited editions to create a buying frenzy. The latest colour (green with red spots) limited to 3000 sold out in less than 1 minute.

Attachments

• Olight boxes 293743922_.jpg
    Olight boxes 293743922_.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
It is exactly that! The retailer runs the forum (it is actually a FB page) and has loads of competitions. Such as, post a photo of the torches in your latest order, and 5 winners will be picked at random to win torches.

I won a T-shirt by posting a picture of a cake lit by one of their torches (the torch had to be in the photo). They have these compos almost every week.

Many people show copies of their invoices, showing all the prices, and totalling many Ā£100s, so is much worse than Qurio.

The photo shows their latest compo, but it is NOT as easy as it looks. There are tiny torches hidden in the picture.
Torch club:

The first rule of Torch Club is that there is no Torch Club

Going back to the torch forum, they use every marketing trick available.

For example, they have "tier gifts" eg spend Ā£150 and get a free Ā£30 torch, spend Ā£199 and get a free Ā£60 torch, going up to "spend Ā£600". BTW all of these apply to a single order. Notice how the free gifts go up in value more than the extra you spend.

Then they have "bundles". Buy a Ā£100 torch for Ā£100, but pay only an extra Ā£10 and we will throw in a Ā£30 torch.

And they have MONTHLY sales with up to 45% off, so anyone in the know doesn't buy anything between the sales. So to counter this, they have regular 4-hour "flash sales" of a few torches.

QVC have nothing on them with their TSVs with a few Ā£ off.

AND to cap it all, however many items you buy, if your order is over Ā£49 then ALL PP IS FREE (which obviously encourages you to spend over Ā£49).

And they throw in free refills for their penlights with every order, if you remember to request them. And on top of all the above, they send out random gifts to random people, and gifts to people during their birthday month.

All this results in a huge amount of hype, and obviously winds people in to spend far more than they intended.

For their 15th anniversary they produced a special torch, worth Ā£22, which was free (1 per order), you didn't even have to buy anything, just pay PP.

Last edited:

The answer ( I think) is 12

In other news, as night follows day, Erika has reached the 200 mark (sorry love but there's no platinum medal up for grabs) maybe when you reach 400 we'll consider introducing one.
That's another marketing ploy that the torch formum employs. With your first order you get a virtual copper medal. After a certain amount of spending, you become a silver medallist, which means you can get access to the sales befor the copper plebs :) You can achieve gold, platinum, diamond and various colours of diamonds.

Each medal gives you more and more privileges, such as exclusive or free torches.

It is like Qurio x 1 million

Did you see any of the hidden torches? In the 2nd row, both the lanterns have mini torches on top of them, but not in the bottom row. And there are other mini torches which are very difficult to see.
I could see the mini torches on the lanterns but there appears to be something hidden in the black panels in at the next row down, though I don't think you can actually make them out to be mini torches. In the final row the larger torch (or whatever it is) doesn't have anything in the black strip but the bit jutting out appears to have something hidden in it, that doesn't appear to have a numerical value. Did it have some kind of instruction, that would make you think any kind of mini torch you find has a numerical value of 4?

I could see the mini torches on the lanterns but there appears to be something hidden in the black panels in at the next row down, though I don't think you can actually make them out to be mini torches. In the final row the larger torch (or whatever it is) doesn't have anything in the black strip but the bit jutting out appears to have something hidden in it, that doesn't appear to have a numerical value. Did it have some kind of instruction, that would make you think any kind of mini torch you find has a numerical value of 4?
No, but people were posting their answers, all wildly different. Eventually, after the winner was announced, they published a photo showing all the hidden mini-torches; this was a new model and was the reason for that competition.

If I can ever find it, I'll post it, but you had the correct answer :)

That's another marketing ploy that the torch formum employs. With your first order you get a virtual copper medal. After a certain amount of spending, you become a silver medallist, which means you can get access to the sales befor the copper plebs :) You can achieve gold, platinum, diamond and various colours of diamonds.

Each medal gives you more and more privileges, such as exclusive or free torches.

It is like Qurio x 1 million
Blinking hell, I was joking about the medals! As bad as it is, at the very least it's upfront and they're actually rewarding people as well as encouraging them. Ok, the what seems to be the distant past monthly competition on Qurio was similar but I think the mothers day fiasco put paid to that as they ended up giving away 3 times what they intended to give away, but QVC are not rewarding these customers in any way shape or form.

Latest posts

Back