Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The Irish guy that demos stuff gave away their bullsh1t the other day. I'd seen him demonstrate the AC unit and he mentioned how economical it is to run. He backed this up by showing an app on his phone where running costs can be estimated. He'd input details re the AC unit and was showing viewers how little £££ it costs to run.

Yesterday he was demonstrating a fan. He told a story of his partner coming home one time and she realised he'd been running an AC unit all day. She was furious with him due to how much AC costs to run and made him promise not to use it again.

MMmmm, so is AC economical to run or not demo guy? It's almost like they make it up as they go along ...

;)

The Irish guy that demos stuff gave away their bullsh1t the other day. I'd seen him demonstrate the AC unit and he mentioned how economical it is to run. He backed this up by showing an app on his phone where running costs can be estimated. He'd input details re the AC unit and was showing viewers how little £££ it costs to run.

Yesterday he was demonstrating a fan. He told a story of his partner coming home one time and she realised he'd been running an AC unit all day. She was furious with him due to how much AC costs to run and made him promise not to use it again.

MMmmm, so is AC economical to run or not demo guy? It's almost like they make it up as they go along ...

;)

He tells that story so much, he really needs new material.

And contradicting themselves at every turn.

Selling AC - AC is cheap to run, Selling Fan - AC not cheap to run

One show a fan is moving air, which is cooling air, another show a fan moving air is only pushing hot air around.

Mason also pointed out a design flaw on pedestal fans (he's a fan designer now :ROFLMAO: ), the motors at the back heating the air before it is drawn in and pushed out onto us. Wonder what he thinks about the motor and it's effect on heating the air in the Boneco fans, which are bang smack in the middle of the tunnel of the boneco fan, between the air coming in and air coming out.:unsure:

He tells that story so much, he really needs new material.

And contradicting themselves at every turn.

Selling AC - AC is cheap to run, Selling Fan - AC not cheap to run

One show a fan is moving air, which is cooling air, another show a fan moving air is only pushing hot air around.

Mason also pointed out a design flaw on pedestal fans (he's a fan designer now :ROFLMAO: ), the motors at the back heating the air before it is drawn in and pushed out onto us. Wonder what he thinks about the motor and it's effect on heating the air in the Boneco fans, which are bang smack in the middle of the tunnel of the boneco fan, between the air coming in and air coming out.:unsure:
This is often the thing, it's the extent to which they put down existing products that's laughable. Not to say things don't evolve/progress but even so. Like when they demonstrate how rubbish a good old mop and bucket is by not using it properly in the slightest. Funny how generations gone by got on fine with that set up. I used to work in a fish & chip shop in my youth and had to wash the tiled floor every night. What did I use ... ;)

We're selling you this, so everything else on the market is pants ...

Shona & Peter V spouting the usual over the top fairytale nonsense, we've dreamed of relaxing in hot tubs as we've looked at magazines with celebs enjoying their hot tubs (em sorry Shona but not all of us follow or even dream of living like z list non entities), which until now had been unattainable to us something we'd never have afforded until now, IW and their incredibly prices have made that dream is possible. :rolleyes:

Swan & Edgar watches on now.

Here's my advice viewers. Instead of buying 5 x S&E watches for your collection at say £110 each, save the £550 and buy yourself 1 x decent watch (either new or second hand) to kick start your collection.

IW bang on about these watches as though they're high quality and worthy of being sold at 4,5,6 times the price.

Nope nope NOPE! Even my untrained eyes can see these 'timepieces' aren't true quality.

Swan & Edgar watches on now.

Here's my advice viewers. Instead of buying 5 x S&E watches for your collection at say £110 each, save the £550 and buy yourself 1 x decent watch (either new or second hand) to kick start your collection.

IW bang on about these watches as though they're high quality and worthy of being sold at 4,5,6 times the price.

Nope nope NOPE! Even my untrained eyes can see these 'timepieces' aren't true quality.

Are you not just soaking up the historical horological knowledge that David Anthony is so gratefully passing on to us.

Like on ugly looking today's special value.

The special crown guard was used on Navy diver's watches during WW2.

Don't know what WW2 he's referring too as that guard wasn't introduced till 1950, plus I hope he's not meaning the Royal Navy as Panerai supplied the Italian Navy during WW2, ie they were on the wrong side.;)

This watch style became popular with A list celebs like Stallone and Arnie during the 70s & 80s.

Actually it was during mid 90s, those Panerai watches weren't available for A list celebs to buy/use until early 90s. :eek:

Whats even better is they have that crown guard which was designed and used on DIVE watches, and it features on a Swan & Edgar watch that is no where near a dive watch, heck it's barely splash proof.:ROFLMAO:

Are you not just soaking up the historical horological knowledge that David Anthony is so gratefully passing on to us.

Like on ugly looking today's special value.
What I'm soaking up is how plastic many of them look! When they go extreme close-up you can tell the components are cheap.

They are what they are IW, stop trying to pretend (as TJC does with Gamages) that these are high end watches that should be selling for hundreds more.

They're not.

What I'm soaking up is how plastic many of them look! When they go extreme close-up you can tell the components are cheap.

They are what they are IW, stop trying to pretend (as TJC does with Gamages) that these are high end watches that should be selling for hundreds more.

They're not.
Absolutely spot-on.

a couple of years back, ResultCo (who were the suppliers of many of the IW brands) used to have a section on their corporate website (NOT the websites for each watch brand- they were separate) that perfectly explained their philosophy. The essence of it was that they quote massive RRPs, in the total expectation that the watches will be sold far below these prices - as a marketing tool.
The poor customer, in seeking to check whether the watch was worth the cost asked for it would find the ResultCo created website and might believe they were actually worth those inflated prices.
But remember, folks, the IW presenters are your friends. Heck, they’re almost family.
The Addams Family maybe. Or the Mansons…

They're not.

They claim it's IP plating, but looks very like that old chrome plating they used to use on alloy watches for years, the type of plating that would wear off and the base metal would show through after a year or two.

And as you say now where near high end, in fact don't even think they are worth the IW selling price, buying similar quality from China, where they are made, would probably cost you £20/£30 max.

I know we take the piss out of "all four corners" and Reynolds, but compared to Swan & Edgar, you could make a claim for their brands being luxury brands. :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely spot-on.

a couple of years back, ResultCo (who were the suppliers of many of the IW brands) used to have a section on their corporate website (NOT the websites for each watch brand- they were separate) that perfectly explained their philosophy. The essence of it was that they quote massive RRPs, in the total expectation that the watches will be sold far below these prices - as a marketing tool.
The poor customer, in seeking to check whether the watch was worth the cost asked for it would find the ResultCo created website and might believe they were actually worth those inflated prices.
But remember, folks, the IW presenters are your friends. Heck, they’re almost family.
The Addams Family maybe. Or the Mansons…
I remember watching a tv prog a few years back re RRPs and 'sales.' Made for very interesting viewing e.g. sofa in a 'sale' at 50% off, selling for £499 instead of £999. Read the small print and discover the sofa was indeed sold for £999, 18 months earlier for a period of 3 days. Ok I exaggerate but you get my drift ;)

If you're remotely interested in such things it was a good watch, pardon the pun! Basically how consumers are conned most of the time over RRPs, sale prices etc.

I approach buying a product thus ... take out all the sales noise around the product whether that be real noise i.e. an annoying salesperson or metaphoric noise i.e. guff about previous prices, RRPs etc. Just look at the product, consider the price it's being offered at on that given day and if you're happy, buy it.

Peter now saying the Panerai crown guard was about in the First World War, and was spotted by an A list celeb in a boutique in Italy in the 60s. :eek:

To which Mr Anthony added, Stallone saw in Milan, starting using it in his movies, then Schwarzenegger followed suit in Rambo. :ROFLMAO:

Actually was in Rome in 1995 when Stallone saw it and bought it to wear in his movie Daylight, which was being filmed in Rome at that time.

And the pair are still adamant this crown guard was in the Second World War. :ROFLMAO:

A fantastic start to the morning on Exemplar Planet…Peter Vol…Vole..Vohl..the tall bloke drenched in sincerity is working with a loud short woman who appears to have overdosed on peroxide. They have a magnificent handheld garment steamer. Looks about as useful as a car with cotton wool pedals from what I can see so far. Some super demos showing how marvellous it is at steaming clothes with no creases into clothes with no creases. A radical change in momentum could be produced by showing some clothes with creases for this little powerhouse to convert into er…clothes with creases.

Peter now saying the Panerai crown guard was about in the First World War, and was spotted by an A list celeb in a boutique in Italy in the 60s. :eek:

To which Mr Anthony added, Stallone saw in Milan, starting using it in his movies, then Schwarzenegger followed suit in Rambo. :ROFLMAO:

Actually was in Rome in 1995 when Stallone saw it and bought it to wear in his movie Daylight, which was being filmed in Rome at that time.

And the pair are still adamant this crown guard was in the Second World War. :ROFLMAO:
Again it shows who IW's target market is. I caught some of the S&E show last night and Peter S was saying along the lines of ...

Worn by your Stallone's, your Schwaranebers

WHO ... THE ... F**K ... CARES?!?

The answer is the type of person IW is targeting. Many of them 'are' impressed by this sort of garbage. We've all met that sort of person. These are people that will look at these watches and think 'WOW, nice!'

Again it shows who IW's target market is. I caught some of the S&E show last night and Peter S was saying along the lines of ...

Worn by your Stallone's, your Schwaranebers

WHO ... THE ... F**K ... CARES?!?

The answer is the type of person IW is targeting. Many of them 'are' impressed by this sort of garbage. We've all met that sort of person. These are people that will look at these watches and think 'WOW, nice!'

Ahem to that. (y)

Whats even worse is that even with a minimal investigation, those IW targets would have realised that what IW is selling them is nothing like the original watch and the feature they are alluding to is nothing more than a very, very poor, non working, imitation of the original Panerai crown guard.
The Panerai crown guard had a specific function relating to water resistancy of the crown, the Swan & Edgar crown guard is a purely cosmetic add on.

Stallone's watch
1571_Panerai_Stallone_Daylight_PAM5218-201-large-x2.jpg

Swan & Edgar

951183_STANDARD__BRO_20220720.jpg

Ahem to that. (y)

Whats even worse is that even with a minimal investigation, those IW targets would have realised that what IW is selling them is nothing like the original watch and the feature they are alluding to is nothing more than a very, very poor, non working, imitation of the original Panerai crown guard.
The Panerai crown guard had a specific function relating to water resistancy of the crown, the Swan & Edgar crown guard is a purely cosmetic add on.

Stallone's watch
View attachment 24177

Swan & Edgar

View attachment 24178
Look how the central dials are squashed together into the centre of that manhole cover of a watch face, along with the date. To me, it’s an indication of a tiny mechanism, dropped into an oversized case- no doubt space filled with a cheap plastic positioning ring.
Then look at the sub-dials pretending to be a chronograph.
Then look at the tachometer scale with no accompanying stopwatch.
Then look at the redundant crown guard.

This is the pretend British, pretend chronograph, pretend divers watch.
There’s more pretending in this one watch than in Chrissie Hynde’s whole career.

Look how the central dials are squashed together into the centre of that manhole cover of a watch face, along with the date. To me, it’s an indication of a tiny mechanism, dropped into an oversized case- no doubt space filled with a cheap plastic positioning ring.
Then look at the sub-dials pretending to be a chronograph.
Then look at the tachometer scale with no accompanying stopwatch.
Then look at the redundant crown guard.

This is the pretend British, pretend chronograph, pretend divers watch.
There’s more pretending in this one watch than in Chrissie Hynde’s whole career.
You could have told me all this BEFORE I ordered 10 of them for Christmas presents :(

Latest posts

Back