Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BTW Heads Up, big Kev is back on Thursday, and he's managed to find more stock of those two very, very limited Edition, popular, highly sought after watches, that sell out on every show they are on, the Meteorite watch and the special IW birthday Union flag watch.
I'm pretty sure this will be your very, very, very last chance to get one so remember to check out asap, well done and congrats if you get one. :)
I’m starting to wonder about that meteorite. Must’ve been about the size of Mars, there’s so much of it.
Or Uranus?

Is that a lawnmo
I’m starting to wonder about that meteorite. Must’ve been about the size of Mars, there’s so much of it.
Or Uranus?
Each to their own but I don't like watches that have something inserted e.g. piece of meteorite, old coin etc.

Made me laugh the other night when they were flogging a watch with an old American coin inserted. I reckon, if the coin had any value, it would now be significantly reduced thanks to whacking a whole in the middle for the hands and mechanism!!!

Really a shame but for me but IW seems to have gone down hill the last few months. I watched them more than everything else put together since covid came along. Absolutely adore Peter Simon of course, so many laughs. I used to watch the "best time of the day show" 3 or 4 nights a week. Now it just seems all the same and pretty dull - fashion, jewellery, nick-knacks etc. Haven't watched a single night show for weeks. The fancy fans "bouncing air of the ceiling" are about as silly as the hundreds of pounds "efficient" ceramic heaters they plug every winter - no more "efficient" than a £10 heater from any high street store. Rob Locke was one of my favourites too, miss him. The only "presenter" I don't like is currently off - too gigly and too many silly wow wow noises and too inexperienced for my liking and Michael I don't mind but can't watch much as he is a stuck record with the same expressions and showing no personality IMO and I don't like arrogant insincere product demonstrators, of which there are a couple. I thought returning to 1 hour slots was a great idea but sadly they just seem to use the time to up-sell unrelated items that I have no interest in so it detracts from the main item and they have more repeat segments. Oh well, all good things ... I suppose it will go the way of all the other channels soon enough, and embrace the "modern themes" that are already creaping in during the "adverts" and that will be that. Fortunately, I did discover TJC when they swapped freeview channels. Andy H. is great fun and good for a laugh. Just my thoughts.

Really a shame but for me but IW seems to have gone down hill the last few months. I watched them more than everything else put together since covid came along. Absolutely adore Peter Simon of course, so many laughs. I used to watch the "best time of the day show" 3 or 4 nights a week. Now it just seems all the same and pretty dull - fashion, jewellery, nick-knacks etc. Haven't watched a single night show for weeks. The fancy fans "bouncing air of the ceiling" are about as silly as the hundreds of pounds "efficient" ceramic heaters they plug every winter - no more "efficient" than a £10 heater from any high street store. Rob Locke was one of my favourites too, miss him. The only "presenter" I don't like is currently off - too gigly and too many silly wow wow noises and too inexperienced for my liking and Michael I don't mind but can't watch much as he is a stuck record with the same expressions and showing no personality IMO and I don't like arrogant insincere product demonstrators, of which there are a couple. I thought returning to 1 hour slots was a great idea but sadly they just seem to use the time to up-sell unrelated items that I have no interest in so it detracts from the main item and they have more repeat segments. Oh well, all good things ... I suppose it will go the way of all the other channels soon enough, and embrace the "modern themes" that are already creaping in during the "adverts" and that will be that. Fortunately, I did discover TJC when they swapped freeview channels. Andy H. is great fun and good for a laugh. Just my thoughts.
We all have presenters we can and can't take to. In this section of the forum, there isn't that much love for Peter S to be honest, however if you like him good for you, it's all subjective.

I used to like watching Rob Locke sometimes, but mainly because it was pretty obvious he held so much contempt for selly telly :)

I agree with you, in the modern media age, it's difficult to see how selly telly can have a secure future in the long term. The likes of QVC might survive, however I have my doubts for channels like IW, TJC etc.

Kev this morning - I don't normally say this but, if you're thinking of that big day in December...............

Don't normally say this? You say it on every ****** show just like you say "listen to this" on every show. :ROFLMAO:
He's getting worse loads of exagerrated & misleading nonsense this morning.

Also curious about their Max Orido watch which they are flogging for £749.99, its' the same watch as the VE Engine watch, minor cosmetic difference with bezel insert and face lettering but that won't affect the cost, for £589.99. As Max Orido doesn't get any money, why the big difference in price for basically same watch? :unsure:

We all have presenters we can and can't take to. In this section of the forum, there isn't that much love for Peter S to be honest, however if you like him good for you, it's all subjective.

I used to like watching Rob Locke sometimes, but mainly because it was pretty obvious he held so much contempt for selly telly :)

I agree with you, in the modern media age, it's difficult to see how selly telly can have a secure future in the long term. The likes of QVC might survive, however I have my doubts for channels like IW, TJC etc.

Have to disagree with this little bit, ain't one of them i can take, they are all thoroughly unlikable shysters, the LOT of them are just a bunch of lying low life con artists, who are quite happy taking advantage of uninformed and vulnerable people. :)

Anyone see Kelly and Peter yesterday with the ebike that didn't work. So funny. They kept cutting to recordings. Eventually Peter said "don't worry at home, It comes with a 12 month guarantee". I think it happened before too. Still no signs of a decent itv show in schedule for me, wigs, "beauty", drugs. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some people must love all of that, just not for me and I can't watch a cooking "show" with a dull demonstrator who isn't a chef. I hope they get better again and maybe it is the world situation but seems they are going the wrong way for me at the moment.

Kev - It's illegal to sell this watch ANYWHERE in the world, except UK and US.

Got you Kev, but why are Traser supplying their official Australian & New Zealand distributor with T100 watches, it's illegal ain't it? :eek:

Oh and maybe the official dealers in Latvia, Slovakia etc, etc didn't get the "illegal" message either.

Oh and btw Kev, U-Boat is Italian, use Swiss movements, but not Swiss made, and that new Solar Aqua brand that U-Boat have resurrected has no connection with the old brand, just another resurrection of a defunct brand name.

BTW while watching the gardening show i got one of those, moving air is cold air but sometimes it hot air being pushed around moments. Of course while selling weed gone, Alan "carnauba tree is from the Amazon Rainforest" Ennis, which is just acetic acid (vinegar) soln, he makes the big point of why pulling weeds out doesn't work as the roots remain and weeds will come back, while weed gone burns the leaves off and stops photosynthesis so starving the roots that remain.
Ok hopefully you see my confusion, that is, in both instances the roots still remain, so whether it's pulling the weeds out (effectively removing the leaves and stopping photosynthesis) or removing leaves by burning them with an acid (effectively removing the leaves and stopping photosynthesis) it leads to the same result, ie leaves gone no photosynthesis, neither method kill roots only the leaves and weeds will always return, so question for Alan, why is removing leaves by pulling not effecting photosynthesis when removing leaves by burning is?

PS

Ok btw both methods are actually effective against wee baby weeds which have new very small root systems, which are easy to pull out and hwere the acid can reach and burn/kill the roots system but not very effective against large weeds that have well established roots.

Wish they would stop saying T100 tubes and the tubes are four times stronger/brighter than T25 tubes.

No such thing as a T100 tube, it's the watch as a whole that is T100, and the tubes aren't 4 times strong/brighter, there is 4 times the amount of Tritium in a T100 watch as opposed to a T25 watch because it has almost 4 times the amount of tubes (T100 has 65, T25 has 17), hence the reason for more Tritium overall in the watch.

And this pair clueless idiots are claiming 80 years between them selling us watches.

So nearly over selling the pick of the day, Mathey-Tissot watches, which IW call Rolly Dolly (despite what Peter says, nobody else, including MT, calls it Rolly Dolly, Jomashop cal lit Vintage LE and MT call it Mathey Vintage LE), they have 4 colours, we are first in world to see and first in the UK to own and it's a £400 watch.

Of course, as per usual, first in the world turns out not to be true, Jomashop has them, but unlike IW they have all 7 colours not just 4, and they are selling it at £134 and even with tax/duty would probably still end up cheaper than IW's £190. Oh and the RRP for the watch is approx £280 not £400.

Peter S mentioned something along the lines of 'bringing you exquisite timepieces for over 30 years ...'

IW launched in 2000. Did he work with Kevin flogging watches before this? Or is he including his time on Bid where he no doubt used to sell other 'quality timepieces' ?!?

Peter S mentioned something along the lines of 'bringing you exquisite timepieces for over 30 years ...'

IW launched in 2000. Did he work with Kevin flogging watches before this? Or is he including his time on Bid where he no doubt used to sell other 'quality timepieces' ?!?

Not sure about Bid tv, only saw a glimpse of that once i think, didn't seem like a format that had guests in to flog stuff and wouldn't think they sold watches, but could be wrong.

Apart from IW i can find no evidence anywhere that either Kev Reynolds or Peter Simon were working together flogging watches or have a long connection with the watch trade. The only reference to pre IW comes from little comments they make on air. I remember one show where there was a brief mention of when they first met, outside a Jewelers 35 years ago at Baselworld, if i remember correctly think Peter said he was doing some piece for the BBC on Baselworld, but given the the amount of crap they spout that could just be a made up story.

On Reynolds, the only stuff i can find is him and his wife starting a company approx 2004, Jacques Farel ltd, didn't seem to do anything till they changed the name in 2010 to Watchbase UK Ltd, again did virtually nothing accounts wise till 2014/2015 when they're business started to expand slowly, i'm thinking this is when he lucked out and got involved with IW, and has grown since, still just a small operation, including him and his wife there is only 3 folks work there. His kids also have a watch company (started last year), just4watches (online retailer) at the same address as watchbase, and sell the same watches as Reynolds does on IW.

From listening to Reynolds, no way he's been in the watch industry for 40 years, not on the sales side anyway, his lack of knowledge and the way he speaks during shows all sound like someone who's total experience in watches is his few years at IW and limited to the few brands he deals with. To the casual IW viewer that doesn't know anything about watches or have started their collecting/collection only through IW, then he could come across as a bit of an expert that knows what he's talking about, his anecdotal stories (bordell is guilty of this too) about watch/brand histories will sound good to the uninformed, but in reality those stories have no direct bearing/relevance on the watch he's flogging today. Away from those irrelevant stories, when he gets down to the nitty gritty, that's when you start to hear some real novice stuff and his lack of horology knowledge becomes very apparent and as i've said that knowledge seems to be limited to what he's learned/learning from the few brands he's interacting with.

Not sure about Bid tv, only saw a glimpse of that once i think, didn't seem like a format that had guests in to flog stuff and wouldn't think they sold watches, but could be wrong.

Apart from IW i can find no evidence anywhere that either Kev Reynolds or Peter Simon were working together flogging watches or have a long connection with the watch trade. The only reference to pre IW comes from little comments they make on air. I remember one show where there was a brief mention of when they first met, outside a Jewelers 35 years ago at Baselworld, if i remember correctly think Peter said he was doing some piece for the BBC on Baselworld, but given the the amount of crap they spout that could just be a made up story.

On Reynolds, the only stuff i can find is him and his wife starting a company approx 2004, Jacques Farel ltd, didn't seem to do anything till they changed the name in 2010 to Watchbase UK Ltd, again did virtually nothing accounts wise till 2014/2015 when they're business started to expand slowly, i'm thinking this is when he lucked out and got involved with IW, and has grown since, still just a small operation, including him and his wife there is only 3 folks work there. His kids also have a watch company (started last year), just4watches (online retailer) at the same address as watchbase, and sell the same watches as Reynolds does on IW.

From listening to Reynolds, no way he's been in the watch industry for 40 years, not on the sales side anyway, his lack of knowledge and the way he speaks during shows all sound like someone who's total experience in watches is his few years at IW and limited to the few brands he deals with. To the casual IW viewer that doesn't know anything about watches or have started their collecting/collection only through IW, then he could come across as a bit of an expert that knows what he's talking about, his anecdotal stories (bordell is guilty of this too) about watch/brand histories will sound good to the uninformed, but in reality those stories have no direct bearing/relevance on the watch he's flogging today. Away from those irrelevant stories, when he gets down to the nitty gritty, that's when you start to hear some real novice stuff and his lack of horology knowledge becomes very apparent and as i've said that knowledge seems to be limited to what he's learned/learning from the few brands he's interacting with.
Here's Peter selling Earnshaw on Bid.
They sold other crap watches as well , often the very cheapest Chinese of the day , usually with made up Italian of French sounding names.

Peter was more entertaining on Bid - he was always totally unprepared , plus there was virtually no compliance , so he could lie even more excessively.

Here's Peter selling Earnshaw on Bid.
They sold other crap watches as well , often the very cheapest Chinese of the day , usually with made up Italian of French sounding names.

Peter was more entertaining on Bid - he was always totally unprepared , plus there was virtually no compliance , so he could lie even more excessively.

That wasn't long after Solar Time launched the Earnshaw range.

But that's a great example of shopping telly sales pitch, really how do they get away with it, looking at you ASA? 11 minutes of info about Thomas Earnshaw the man which has absolutely no relevence to the watch they are selling, and in those 11 minutes, not one iota of information about the watch and the present Solar Time's Thomas Earnshaw range of watches, calling it range as calling it a watch brand is wrong IMO.

Miss precision with her usual, fantastic Swiss movements, precision accurate timekeeping blah, blah, blah.

Yeah Emma, they've got Swiss movements (or maybe it's their Far East versions from Ronda's Hong Kong facilities ;) ) in them, but they're Ronda's cheapest movements, even the Swiss made version is cheap as chips, costs approx £5, so we ain't talking top of range luxury quality here.

You also have to laugh at the way they continually point to the straps being embossed with the words Genuine Leather as somehow a mark of the straps being high/top quality real leather, when in fact it's a mark of the lowest quality real leather.

Last edited:
Miss precision with her usual, fantastic Swiss movements, precision accurate timekeeping blah, blah, blah.

Yeah Emma, they've got Swiss movements (or maybe it's their Far East versions from Ronda's Hong Kong facilities ;) ) in them, but they're Ronda's cheapest movements, even the Swiss made version is cheap as chips, costs approx £5, so we ain't talking top of range luxury quality here.

You also have to laugh at the way they continually point to the straps being embossed with the words Genuine Leather as somehow a mark of the straps being high/top quality real leather, when in fact it's a mark of the lowest quality real leather.
Yep. Unless they're selling products at a significant loss, we can be relatively confident they're selling stuff at a profit, even if just a small profit. So if they're flogging a watch for £89.99, you can confidently assert none of the components within that watch are tier 1 because the true retail value is £89.99. Business for dummies would tell you that.

I literally caught 3 mins of that show and they did they usual 'wait, is that price right?' Of course they carried on selling the watch at that (potentially wrong) price. How kind they are.

Then you get THE REALITY when a price is genuinely wrong. A week or so back Mike M started his usual bullsh1t selling a watch. Within seconds (someone obviously talking in his ear) he paused and said (in a normal non-selly tone) along the lines of 'sorry guys, we think there's a mistake with the price ... so we're just going to remove those details from the screen and get that sorted for you.'

Sure enough, details removed then replaced with new details showing the correct (higher) price. Kevin then blurts out some bullsh1t saying something like 'emmm yes, that previous price was a promotional price we did a while back.'

My point is, when the price is GENUINELY WRONG, it gets dealt with pronto.

So what does that tell you when they do the 'is that price right?' routine ;) ;) ;)

Peter starting off in full shyster mode - Nubeo is an American Company that started in 2004 and Cadola from Switzerland.

Nubeo on IW isn't American (The original Nubeo started in 2004 in Switzerland but went bust, now the regurgitated name is Chinese owned and made)
Cadola on IW isn't Swiss (Original Cadola closed down long time ago, now the regurgitated name is Chinese owned and made)

And you've guessed it, no mention from Peter of where both brands are owned and made today, ie CHINA.

emailed them to be honest with their viewers.

Latest posts

Back