Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What a strange watch show this evening. Strange in the sense the Sekonda two sessions watch programme has been on for around an hour now and I am yet to see the disembodied watch representative from the company appearing alongside Ryan. My medication is wearing off, but he comes across as knowledgeable, articulate, and informative about his products. A refreshing change from the usual magical lotions and potions sellers that sit there, seen. Perhaps he has asked for anonymity, as being honest, realistic and sincere in selling approach could put him at risk of repercussions if his face was seen on this channel.

It wouldn't surprise me if IW, and some of the other bargain basement channels, start shows from Tuesday 20th selling HM the Queen memorabilia, 'out of respect for her memory' you understand, nothing else.

Nothing would be too low for these gutter sales channels.
Yes . a Her Majesty watch with a blade of grass from Balmoral under the glass.

Not watching Ideal World much nowadays, but is it true that the sales pitches seem to be more intense than they used to be as if they're now under increased pressure to perform well? It's distinctly weird and arguably in very poor taste to be flogging awful watches whilst dressed in a black suit and tie, trying to show 'respect' whilst happily fleecing their customers like a mugger saying 'Thank you' whilst running off with your wallet.

'80% of the stock has gone'

(About 20 minutes later)

'Over 80% of the stock has gone'

(Repeat ad infinitum)

Ideal World havent changed there tactics with the Queens passing, out of all the shopping channels Create and Craft have had the best tactic maybe it as they only flog cards and dies

But there attitude has been, the details are on the side if you want to purchase we arent gonna read them out if you want to make a purchase then please do

Not watching Ideal World much nowadays, but is it true that the sales pitches seem to be more intense than they used to be as if they're now under increased pressure to perform well? It's distinctly weird and arguably in very poor taste to be flogging awful watches whilst dressed in a black suit and tie, trying to show 'respect' whilst happily fleecing their customers like a mugger saying 'Thank you' whilst running off with your wallet.

'80% of the stock has gone'

(About 20 minutes later)

'Over 80% of the stock has gone'

(Repeat ad infinitum)

They may wear black to infer they are showing respect, but that is purely an illusion, there is very little actual respect being shown in their behaviour/tactics on screen, the opposite in fact.

The Upside Down Head Men are back together. Keep Wearing Your Masks asks “How Many Have We Got Left?” I thought Gypsies Tramps and Thieves might be playing through his earpiece, but no, somebody says EIGHT..Eight?? That’s one more than they had originally, I thought. UDHM1 soon repeats “How Many Have We Got Left?” Presumably it’s still EIGHT, as he doesn’t tell us how many this time around. He then moves on to the classic lairy shirt to watch face analogy when presenting a piece of thyme that looks like it fell out of a 1975 John Bull Christmas Crackers set. He tells us he doesn’t want the watch at this time, but if it turned into a lairy shirt at a party that some other bloke was wearing, he would want to wear the watch and wind up the shirt - or words to that effect.

We now see the complimentary IW Watch Roll. Have you got two crusty rolls? No...It’s just the way I swing my hips…This roll, apparently, is worth 250 pounds. 250 pounds of what, I am not sure. But I am sure I have smelt sweeter smelling bacon ones…

I see they are now selling Karrimor, Mike Ashleys Sports Direct own brand , used to be a decent brand before they got hold of them

Apparently the jackets are worth hundreds according to Sally

This thing about 'brands' makes me laugh. They were flogging a 'brand' earlier and the 'expert' was saying something like (and I'm making the specifics up guys to make my point):

Yes, Momentus were created in 1896 in Switzerland by Johneous Momemtus, a very well known and respected watch maker of the time. Unfortunately, they went out of business in 1932. Now, we've brought the brand back, offering customers the same ethos and quality of the original Momentus timepieces.

In other words, you've bought a dormant brand and slapped its name on watches that may indeed not be sh1te, but are very likely NOT of the same quality of the original brand.

I would assert once a brand changes hands even once, subsequent products have very little to do with the original brand regardless of quality ... because it's no longer the original brand. Rolls Royce are still very fine cars, however they're owned by BMW.

Smoke and mirrors ...

This thing about 'brands' makes me laugh. They were flogging a 'brand' earlier and the 'expert' was saying something like (and I'm making the specifics up guys to make my point):

Yes, Momentus were created in 1896 in Switzerland by Johneous Momemtus, a very well known and respected watch maker of the time. Unfortunately, they went out of business in 1932. Now, we've brought the brand back, offering customers the same ethos and quality of the original Momentus timepieces.

In other words, you've bought a dormant brand and slapped its name on watches that may indeed not be sh1te, but are very likely NOT of the same quality of the original brand.

I would assert once a brand changes hands even once, subsequent products have very little to do with the original brand regardless of quality ... because it's no longer the original brand. Rolls Royce are still very fine cars, however they're owned by BMW.

Smoke and mirrors ...

It's the standard pitch for all the old now defunct brand names that Solar Time pick up, usually they get hold of the name, trademark has usually lapsed, then trademark it, then invent a resurrection story. All the stories have one thing in common, whether it's Earnshaw, Cadola, Duxot, Nubeo, CCCP, Ballast, etc, they never mention who the new owner is and where their watches are made (except for the odd special that is alleged to be Swiss Made), ie Solar Time & China. Ok Bordell does mention that they are located in London so close at hand in respect of any issues folks might have with their watches, but that's the subsidiary (The Dartmouth Brands) that was set up for distribution/promotion, it's not the owner of all these brand names and it's certainly not "The Dartmouth Brands" that is listed against all the trademarked names.

On a similar vein with your post, when they compare these watches with others, Mike of the Masons did this tonight, ie there's a Swiss brand out there that does a watch like this but it's in the 5 figures blah blah, which in reality is a totally outlandish comparison, a truer comparison would have been to compare against the dozens of similar watches, similar quality you find on Ali Express for only £83, ok slightly different dial but that would only be pennies in any difference in costs, it's the exact same quality, actually the Ali watch looks to have a better case finish.

IW watch

945853_STANDARD__BSI_20220301.jpg

Ali watch

H876cdd4c672e4961823a55129ec150ff7.jpg

Wait a second ... wait ... a ... second.

I'm confused. Why you ask? Well, some of the watches Mike M said were going to sell out last night haven't, not according to the IW website anyway. Some/most of them still available.

I don't understand this. Mike, and the other presenters, are SO honest with viewers at all times about things like this. It's obviously a glitch on their website, I'm sure all these watches are indeed sold out as Mike M said they would be.

I say this not to hurry you, not to rush you ...

blah blah bullsh1t

Remember to tune in at 8pm, it's temperature gun time, with the price of electricity going through the roof, now is the ideal time to get your ceramic heater. Why heat your whole house with your central heating, when you can turn it off and spend more just to heat the room you're in. No doubt Ideal World have been given a long range weather forecast, pretty sure we're going to be in for the worst winter in decades. ;)

The man with the upside down head is working with the fitness expert man with his head the right way up. They are selling a smart watch for £39.99. “This is the watch with everything on it that you need and everything not on it that you don’t need,” the man with his head the right way up tells us. I think that makes perfect sense, but my social worker disagrees? Though, what on earth do you do if something not on the watch you originally needed but now no longer need, needs to change to something still on it that you wish was no longer on it and was never not on it in the first place, God only knows.

The next item is reminiscent of that wonderful old show This Is Your Life. When they wheeled out an old friend you deliberately lost touch with forty years previously and hoped to never set eyes on again. It’s the treadmill. The treadmill you never wanted to see or hear from again. The very same treadmill with the unreachable RRP that they are now wanting £199.99 for. Clearly, in a desperate bit for freedom earlier this year, it must have folded itself to its full height, and escaped wearing a raincoat, glasses and a blonde wig. On the run..er walk..in the seedier areas of Peterborough, it has sadly been recaptured, debriefed and is back on screen again, along with that tedious old cron..er..wonderful entertaining lady, 2000000 steps a day Jenny. Marvellous.. The man with the sideways upside down head has said the G (Goddess) word. Time to spontaneously combust..

Latest posts

Back